Stories Behind The Photos

Moonstreet

Proud Member
As I have been findig my around this new MJJC, one thing which I find annoying is all the photos posted without context or dates or any other information. I dont know if this is typical of this new fan community, but it feels so wrong and that the history is being lost.

When I find photos that I know about I will post the information.

It would be great if everyone could join in too, post photos in this thread with information about the photos, who it is, when it was etc.

These photos were taken in Exter, England in June 2002.

Michael was in London for a week of events.

He was staying at The Renaissance Hotel in Holborn.

This day of events at Exeter was organised by Uri Geller, who at the time was Chairperson of Exeter Football Club.

A private train was organised for Michael, the fans and performers at the event from Paddington Station.

When the train arrived at Exeter, Michael went to a hotel where these photos were taken. He is wearing the Exeter Football team sheet, given to him by Uri Geller.

A bus was organised to bring the fans from the train station to the football grounds.

At the football grounds, there was a DJ playing music before the "show".

When Michael arrived, the "show" began.

It was a few acts singing and dancing and then Michael got on the stage and gave a speech.

He then got into a car and drove around the football pitch.

After the event there was a bus to take the fans back to the train station.

About an hour outside London, Michael got off the train and spent the night at Blenhaim Castle.

MICHAEL-michael-jackson-13987966-856-1200.jpg

This was in London in November 2006.

Michael was in London for the World Music Awards which was sponsored by Topshop.

On this night he went to dinner at Nabu with Phillip Green , the owner of Topshop and his daughter.

After dinner at about 11.30pm he went shopping in Topshop on Oxford Street, which was specially opened for him.

It was all part of promotion for the World Music Awards.

The man in the photo with Michael is his chief of security at the time.

This is from the London Sony demo June 2002.

This photo was taken on Oxford Street, as the bus passed on the Sony office on the side street and then turned onto Oxford Street to go back to Michaels hotel at Holborn.

This photo was the day after the trip to Oxford and about 3 hours before the Killer Thriller MJNI fan party.

tumblr_ma2pymnUDo1r4u4a6o1_1280.jpg

This is Adrian Grant meeting Michael for the first time in 1991. Yes the same Adrian Grant behind Thriller Live stage show.

This is the story of the painting and how he got to meet Michael

A crucial moment in your relationship with Michael Jackson was the trip you made to Los Angeles in March 1990 when you presented him with the ‘Off The Wall Appreciation Award’. How did you get the idea to have a montage made by painter Vincent McKoy to give to Michael?

I can’t remember the exact origins, but I recall wanting to present Michael with an appreciation award from the readers of the magazine. I believe it may have been Chris Cadman that suggested a painting, so I did some research and came across Vincent McKoy, who had been putting together some incredible oil paintings of famous personalities.

I told him I would like a montage of Michael Jackson images from the past 20 years (1969-1989), gave him some references and told him he only had two-months to complete the painting. I think he did it in 6 weeks and had sent me a photograph of the finished canvas, cheekily asking ‘if this would do?’. It was incredible!

In March 1990 I flew over to Los Angeles after Bob Jones had set up a meeting for me to present the ‘Appreciation Award’ to Michael at Record One Studios where he was recording his new album, ‘Dangerous’.

Just getting the 6 x 4 foot painting to the studio in one piece was a mission. Firstly, when it was unloaded off the plane from cargo at LAX, I noticed a hole in the packaging and feared it may have gone through the canvas. Then I was interrogated by security for what felt like an hour, as to its contents and did I know there had been a recent oil painting heist. And then my taxi driver decided to pursue a hit and run he had witnessed instead of taking me straight to my hotel. Welcome to America!

The following day I made my way to the recording studio and was surprised by its surroundings. It really was a nondescript neighbourhood, and not one where you may have thought the world’s biggest star was at home recording the follow-up to two of the best-selling albums of all time!

Still, I was fairly relaxed and didn’t know what to expect of the day. I first met photographer Sam Emerson, who helped me place the picture above a fireplace in a lounge room next to the recording studio. Bob Jones was also there, but it was Sam who was doing most of the talking and telling me some interesting stories about some of the famous people he had worked with.

We then waited, and waited some more (or so it felt), and then I heard a beautiful voice singing a cappella. It was Michael, adlibbing a tune. He walked into the room, and I swear it felt like the moment he walked into Club 30 from the ‘Smooth Criminal’ video. Everything around me just disappeared, and all I could see was Michael Jackson in glorious technicolour right in front of me! Still, I kept it together. Although Michael looked fabulous, and he was the world’s biggest most famous celebrity, whom I had dedicated a complete magazine to and my whole career. Yes, he was that man, the reason why. And his first glance was not towards me, but the incredible 6 x 3 foot oil painting that was hanging on the wall. Oh no, he’s going to ignore me I thought. But he didn’t, he stretched out his hand, as Bob Jones introduced me. I can’t remember the first words that I or Michael spoke, but I did feel instantly at ease in his presence.

I presented Michael with the painting, told him the story behind it, and Sam busily took photographs of us both grinning from ear to ear. I then asked if Michael would give Vincent a call, and this he did – to thank him for his beautiful artwork. It must have been early morning when Vincent received the call, but he was certainly wide awake as he spoke to Michael, although a little shocked!

From there on, the day just got better and better. I asked Michael if he would pose for a picture for the cover of ‘Off The Wall’ magazine, and this he did, much to Bob Jones surprise who stated, “He’s not going to do that Adrian!”. Michael replied, “It’s ok, it’s for the magazine.” And that’s how Michael was, and our relationship. He really was the most giving person I have ever met, and he gave his time to me because he knew it was for the fans.

Michael then asked if I would like to hear a track from the new album, which I’m led to believe no one else had heard at the time. He played me ‘Men In Black’, which was funky and loud, but ultimately never made it onto the final track listing. I stood by his side nodding my head to the beat, as Michael sat at his mix desk pushing various buttons. We talked some more, and he read through some of the letters and messages the fans had sent me to bring along. Then Michael wrote a heartfelt note for the fans, which was published in the magazine.​

A second photo from the shopping in Topshop. The girl in the photo is Phillip Greens daughter.

Michael was in London for the World Music Awards which was sponsored by Topshop.

On this night he went to dinner at Nabu with Phillip Green , the owner of Topshop and his daughter.

After dinner at about 11.30pm he went shopping in Topshop on Oxford Street, which was specially opened for him.

It was all part of promotion for the World Music Awards.

The man in the photo with Michael is his chief of security at the time.

tumblr_mngnmkeTwx1qmgu0ao1_500.png

tumblr_mngnmkeTwx1qmgu0ao2_500.png

March 2001 Oxford College Student Union Speech.

Michael was staying at The Lanesborough Hotel in London and went to Oxford just for the day. He had broken his foot a few weeks before the event but had committed to speaking to the students at Oxford College and travelled to England while using crutches. Admittance to the speech was limited to current students of Oxford College. Copies of the speech were handed out to the press and fans who were outside the building.

628x471.jpg

Arriving for a meeting with Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) on Capitol Hill, March 31, 2004 in Washington, DC. He was there to meet with African-American lawmakers and offer his support on the fight against AIDS and help for African children

article-2316474-1989E713000005DC-875_634x387.jpg

Michael with Mark Lester, Rowan Atkinson and his wife, inside the theatre when they went to see the West End Stage show Oliver in March 2009. Michael was staying at The Lanesborough Hotel. This photo was taken 2 days after the Press Conference at The O2.

13665687814_bb3696ecd4.jpg

13665345895_973f734268.jpg

13665345895_973f734268.jpg

These photos were taken on the train to Exeter, England in June 2002. These are the performers from the "show". They were with Michael in the VIP section of the train.

Michael was in London for a week of events.

He was staying at The Renaissance Hotel in Holborn.

This day of events at Exeter was organised by Uri Geller, who at the time was Chairperson of Exeter Football Club.

A private train was organised for Michael, the fans and performers at the event from Paddington Station.

When the train arrived at Exeter, Michael went to a hotel where these photos were taken. He is wearing the Exeter Football team sheet, given to him by Uri Geller.

A bus was organised to bring the fans from the train station to the football grounds.

At the football grounds, there was a DJ playing music before the "show".

When Michael arrived, the "show" began.

It was a few acts singing and dancing and then Michael got on the stage and gave a speech.

He then got into a car and drove around the football pitch.

After the event there was a bus to take the fans back to the train station.

About an hour outside London, Michael got off the train and spent the night at Blenhaim Castle.

EkEBliqXYAIim_R

EkEBliqXcAEErlF

EkEBliqWoAA7Oc-

Michael and Dave Navaro at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) benefit concert, "A Night at the Apollo", at the Apollo Theater 24 April 2002 in New York. The concert was to kick off a nationwide voter registration drive.

Thank you so much! I always try to put my saved pictures into folders that have AT LEAST the right year. I'm always super happy when I see someone providing more information like you. Really grateful for that! ❤️

Back