Tabloid: MICHAEL JACKSON'S NEW TELL-ALL MEMOIR

Thome was probably the one who took what was in the safe. How come he never made an official complaint? Michael was surrounded by thieves anyway.

First, Michael left some paintings & said take them & sell them. He left some clothes & said take them & sell them. He left taped recordings of his inner most feelings & said take them & sell them.

So what next, someone now trying to make up some stories and claim Michael wrote it. Next, they will tell us it was typed on a laptop, so they avoid the problem of proving it is his handwriting.

The veracity of Michael being able to write out six hundred pages on his thoughts, while he was in the Middle East, after his trial in 2005, would have been hard, because he didn't even live in the Middle East a year.

It seems that as soon as Sony and Michael came to a resolution on what to do about Michael's huge debt and the loan Michael had taken out using his 50% of his partnership with Sony, which was in April of 2006. When this was secured, Michael left Bahrain and was later sued by the Prince. If there had been an attempt to write an Autobiography, much less record an album which I thought Michael had been working on during his months stay in Bahrain, then Michael would have taken his notes. In fact since Michael said he would still be putting out on album by 2007 under his own label, Michael Jackson Productions, instead of 2Seas Records. It seems the focus would have been more on the music and less on writing a book to set the record straight!

001372a9ae270a8cae7208.jpg

Prince Abdulla Al-Khalifa, Michael and Guy Holmes

So what next, someone now trying to make up some stories and claim Michael wrote it. Next, they will tell us it was typed on a laptop, so they avoid the problem of proving it is his handwriting.

Just out of curiosity... When someone does write an autobiography, is it usually written in handwriting or typed? Somehow I can hardly imagine someone doing any serious writing without a laptop.

Anyone could write anything and claim it came from mj.turn up with box full of transcripts and say this is mjs own words. how do u prove or disprove. in the worst senario you could have ppl claiming confessions/allegations and alsorts which were made up by someone in order to cash in as the media would salivate over it regardless of truth of where it originated from

If it was typed it would be on the hard drive, year date and time. I would think.

If it was typed it would be on the hard drive, year date and time. I would think.

Yeah but the person makes it sound as though there are notes/papers that have to be sorted out. If it was typed, what are the notes, etc. they are talking about? Usually you make notes with paper & pen/pencils. If it is a diary, then shouldn't that be handwritten too?

Back in August of 2007, Michael did not attend his nephew's wedding, and this was right around the same time that Michael was in Court due to what happened during his 2005 trial, involving his brother, Randy Jackson and Randy's Business Partner and wanting their hands on Michael's 50% of the Beatles Catalog.

Jackson's hiding away

14 Aug 2007 00:00

Michael Jackson has become such a recluse that he even had to miss his nephew's wedding two weeks ago.

His brother Tito's girlfriend Trini Poncedelleon tells us Michael missed the wedding of Tito's son TJ - from the band 3T - even though they're very close.

She says: "It hurt him but since the court case it's sunk in that people will try to take advantage of him."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jacksons-hiding-away-498365

So when you read that Michael had problems with his siblings, this is what the Press was reporting about Michael, as you can see. So I'm not sure there are any revelations, other than it sounds like tabloid fodder and nothing more that this story has evolved into. That this "tell all memoir" is just more of the same old, same old!

Michael_Jackson_-_Matthew_Rolston_Photoshoot_2007_009_.jpg

Back in August of 2007, Michael did not attend his nephew's wedding, and this was right around the same time that Michael was in Court due to what happened during his 2005 trial, involving his brother, Randy Jackson and Randy's Business Partner and wanting their hands on Michael's 50% of the Beatles Catalog.

Jackson's hiding away

14 Aug 2007 00:00

Michael Jackson has become such a recluse that he even had to miss his nephew's wedding two weeks ago.

His brother Tito's girlfriend Trini Poncedelleon tells us Michael missed the wedding of Tito's son TJ - from the band 3T - even though they're very close.

She says: "It hurt him but since the court case it's sunk in that people will try to take advantage of him."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jacksons-hiding-away-498365

So when you read that Michael had problems with his siblings, this is what the Press was reporting about Michael, as you can see. So I'm not sure there are any revelations, other than it sounds like tabloid fodder and nothing more that this story has evolved into. That this "tell all memoir" is just more of the same old, same old!

Michael_Jackson_-_Matthew_Rolston_Photoshoot_2007_009_.jpg

one of the finest pictures I have ever seen.

I'm sure Michael wrote a second part for the Moonwalker...and I think he felt the need to put on paper the thoughts about '93 and 2005 trial and to talk about the joy he felt being a father...and what a great father:) but who knows where the "manuscript" is and anyway is hard to trust that we will ever see the true story that he wrote...

^^I never thought that he had written a second part of moonwalker. The best thing to do is ask those who hung around Michael, like Chris if they saw Michael jotting down a lot of notes in a diary, or tap tapping along on his laptop all the time.

The best thing to do is ask those who hung around Michael, like Chris if they saw Michael jotting down a lot of notes in a diary, or tap tapping along on his laptop all the time.

I believe if Michael made ??a diary or wrote things anywhere else (obviously must have done it well away from the eyes of others)... I'm pretty sure it keep at a very safe place so that only he had access. I do not think he would leave something so private (his thoughts on paper) thrown anyway for anyone to see/read. Or not? :fear:

When Michael settled out of Court with the Prince of Bahrain, in November of 2008, for seven million dollars, don't you think that legally the Prince of Bahrain would've turned over a 'manuscript' of Michael's autobiography. If someone were going to charge me that much for my expenses and they didn't think my manuscript didn't shore up any disputed property value towards my months long stay, than legally the Prince of Bahrain would have technically turned over the supposed 'manuscript.'

Maybe the lawyer handling the lawsuit on Michael's behalf had it in a vault to cover his expenses, because he thought one day it might be worth something, right!

r

Michael Jackson, Bahrain prince seal legal deal
by Mike Collett-White
LONDON | Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57am EST
(Reuters) - Michael Jackson and a son of the king of Bahrain signed an out-of-court settlement on Monday ending a legal dispute under which the prince sued the pop star saying he reneged on a recording contract and owed him money.

Neither Jackson nor Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad al-Khalifa were at London's High Court to hear their lawyers confirm to the judge that a deal had been struck.

Two hours later, both sides agreed on the wording of a short joint statement, which they said formally ended the dispute.

"Sheikh Abdullah and Michael Jackson are pleased to confirm that they have amicably settled their dispute which was in litigation before the High Court in London," said Philip Croall, senior partner at Freshfields law firm.

"They wish each other well in their own, respective endeavors," he told reporters. Both sides said details of the settlement would not be made public.

News of a settlement "in principle" was announced late on Sunday, sparing Jackson the ordeal of having to travel to Britain to testify.

The reclusive 50-year-old originally said he would come to give evidence, sparking frenzied press interest and prompting court administrators to issue passes to media outlets to contain the crush in courtroom 73.

A small handful of die-hard fans came to the court on Monday to hear a lawyer address the judge for around 20 seconds, even though they knew Jackson had canceled plans to appear.

BUSINESS AND GIFTS

Jackson's lawyers argued that there was no valid agreement with Sheikh Abdullah, and they tried to portray the prince as a generous but naive, star-struck pop music amateur.

They also say Sheikh Abdullah's payments to Jackson and his staff were intended as gifts, not part of a business agreement.

Details of Sheikh Abdullah's generosity toward Jackson and brother Jermaine emerged during hearings last week.

Jackson and his children spent time in Bahrain as a guest of the royal family following his 2005 trial on child molestation charges at the end of which he was acquitted.

The case left Jackson's career, reputation and financial status in tatters and he has been a virtual recluse since.

Sheikh Abdullah said that as well as reneging on a contract to record a new album, write an autobiography and produce a stage play, Jackson also owed him $7 million.

The court heard how the prince, hoping to play a part in reviving Jackson's career, gave the star and representatives $1 million before they had even met, and provided $35,000 for utility bills at the Neverland Ranch in the United States.

He paid Jackson $2.2 million in legal fees, and more than $300,000 for the services of a motivational "guru."

Sheikh Abdullah also spent $450,000 on Jermaine Jackson in late 2004 and early 2005, and paid for a Rolls-Royce car for him in California.

Jackson and the prince spoke by telephone and collaborated on songs long-distance during the 2005 trial, but their efforts ultimately came to little. Jackson walked away from the collaboration in 2006.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/11/24/us-jackson-court-idUSTRE4AM2B320081124

^^I am sorry but this part cracked me up "He paid Jackson...... more than $300,000 for the services of a motivational "guru."

I hope the 7 million was not more than he deserved, and I hope Michael learned to beware of strangers bringing gifts, promises, & providing excessive monetary help. Who paid back Jermaine's amount?

Published October 15, 2007

He’s being sued by the Prince Abdulla Al-Khalifa of Bahrain in London’s High Court for $7 million plus damages.
The prince, in papers sent to me over the weekend, is claiming that Jackson has an agreement with him to record two albums, write and produce a live-Broadway kind of show with Jackson’s music and a cast album, and to write and publish an autobiography.
In other words, Prince Abdulla owns Michael outright and is angry that Jackson skipped out on him in June 2006 without so much as a moonwalk.
The deal would tie Jackson up until at least 2012, if the prince enforces it.
Jackson, the prince states in his filed claim, moved to Bahrain on June 29, 2005, some 16 days after the pop star’s acquittal on charges of child molestation and conspiracy.
For one year, the prince underwrote Jackson’s life in Bahrain — everything including living accommodations, guests, security and transportation. That number is in the millions.
The prince also paid for Jackson’s lawyers, who handled his financial renegotiations with Sony and Fortress Trust. At one point in the spring of 2006, Sony could only deal with Prince Abdulla’s team on behalf of Michael. They saved him from bankruptcy. He states that Jackson is in "grave danger of losing" both his Neverland ranch and his stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing.
In April 2006, Jackson finally signed an agreement with the prince to create 2Seas Records. He also agreed to a lot of other things, too. The prince built him a state-of-the-art recording studio. He gave Jackson a $7 million advance for all this.
And what did Jackson do with the money? He left for Japan and then Ireland. He exited Bahrain and never looked back. He took the money and moonwalked right out the door.
This is the real Michael Jackson. He has never returned a phone call from the prince since he left Bahrain.

But the suit brought by Prince Abdulla is the worst yet. Here Jackson has consciously betrayed a huge ally who saved him at his lowest point.
How Jackson stiffed Abdulla should serve as a warning to all the singer’s future or possible defenders. According to the prince’s claim, Jackson left Bahrain to attend the MTV Japan Awards at the end of May 2006. He was supposed to return, but didn’t.
On July 11, the prince says, Jackson toady Raymone Bain faxed him a letter "aggressively seeking [the prince’s] personal agreement to an express release of [Jackson] from his obligations. …"
When that didn’t happen, Bain sent another letter, this time stating that Jackson did not intend to work with the prince and "was unwilling to perform or observe his obligations." Another legal letter followed, and that was it.
What happens next: The prince, if he doesn’t receive an answer from Jackson that he’s ready to go to work, will likely take more legal action against him in London and the U.S.
Jackson, meanwhile, remains adrift and hiding, homeless and in a severe and continuing financial bind that he can only blame on himself.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301711,00.html#ixzz2JoBQquN8

001372a9ae270a8caedc09.jpg

I do not like the tone those articles were written, very one sided. As far as I know Michael didn't comment much of his side of this case, and it sounds like reporters enjoyed very much just throwing muck on MJ without hearing his side.

Do we know what Michael said about the deal, and why he didn't want to pursue it?
Alicat, any articles of what Michael said?

Damn, Michael couldn't go anywhere for rest, there were always people who wanted something from him.

I do not like the tone those articles were written, very one sided. As far as I know Michael didn't comment much of his side of this case, and it sounds like reporters enjoyed very much just throwing muck on MJ without hearing his side.

Do we know what Michael said about the deal, and why he didn't want to pursue it?
Alicat, any articles of what Michael said?

Damn, Michael couldn't go anywhere for rest, there were always people who wanted something from him.

I think it is the usual trap people make when you are down. Michael was trying to get away from the mess of the trial & needed a place to rest. Here comes the prince offering him a place & gifts if Michael will do such & such. Michael agreed but then realized there was more to this than he expected. Something I notice about Michael is that he does not like to be owned by anyone. He wants to be free & able to create his own thing in his own way. The prince became a dictator of Michael's talent & person & Michael skipped.

Did we ever see a written contract about this?

Jackson was encouraged to go to Bahrain to escape the crushing media scrutiny at the urging of his brother Jermaine, who had converted to Islam in 1989, after his own visit to Bahrain and Saudi Arabia and has business dealings there. At only 300 square miles, Bahrain is smaller than New York City and has just over 500,000 citizens. Beyond its capital of Manama, with its wide palm-tree-lined boulevards, modern high rises, and sprawling luxury malls, the country has a sleepy village ambiance.

In March 2006, Jackson dressed as a Muslim woman, covered from head to toe in a black abaya, with black gloves and large sunglasses, and took his children through the Marina Mall in the Bahrain capital.

With the king’s blessing, Jackson immediately had access to every important power broker. And over the next year, Prince Abdullah spent about $7 million bankrolling Jackson's lifestyle in Manama. He gave the singer $500,000 in spending money and $350,000 for a holiday to Europe, as well as paying for Jackson's eight bodyguards and giving him the use of his family’s fleet of private jets.

“I saw the payments as an investment in Michael's potential,” Abdullah later said as part of a lawsuit he filed against Jackson in London. ”He said he'd pay me back… through our work together."

That work together was a deal Jackson inked in which he promised, by 2012, to deliver to Abdullah two albums, a Broadway musical in the style of Abba’s Mamma Mia!, and a ghosted autobiography. Also, Jackson signed on as a “consultant” on matters ranging from theme parks to music academics to Bahrain’s AAJ Holdings, founded by in 1988 by architect Ahmed Abubaker Janahi; AAJ was a primary partner in what turned out to be a failed fresh-from-the-sand multibillion-dollar city in the sultanate of Oman.

A former security worker for Jackson told me that Prince Abdullah fancied himself a talented songwriter and that Abdullah and Jackson recorded a song in 2005 in a Bahrain studio. The never released song, according to the security executive, was a cause for concern since Jackson looked emaciated and strung out. The Daily Beast was not able to confirm the existence of such a recording, although another Jackson employee from 2007 and 2008 claimed to have seen it, and said it was an utter embarrassment.

By that time, Jackson’s personal idiosyncrasies were proving an occasional embarrassment for Abdullah and the royals in the conservative Muslim nation. In November 2005, five months after his arrival, Jackson was spotted re-applying his makeup in the ladies' toilet of a Dubai shopping mall. An Arab woman who photographed the scene on her cellphone was confronted and held by Jackson's bodyguards before being apprehended by the police and her phone confiscated. Jackson’s publicist said the singer did not understand the Arabic sign on the door and left the bathroom when he realized his mistake.

In March 2006, Jackson dressed as a Muslim woman, covered from head to toe in a black abaya, with black gloves and large sunglasses, and took his children through the Marina Mall in the Bahrain capital. All three children were wrapped in black scarves and wore yellow shirts and sweatpants without robes.

Some salespeople noticed he wore men's shoes and they thought the presence of bodyguards was strange. Even the royals move throughout the almost-crime-free capital without security.

These forbidden activities prompted a leading conservative Muslim cleric and lawmaker, Adel al-Maawda, to say Jackson was an unwanted envoy of "the iniquities of Las Vegas…. We don't want him turning Bahrain into Las Vegas. He should keep his concerts and his effeminate manners away from us."

But with the protection of Prince Abdullah, Jackson stayed in the kingdom. Michael’s financial troubles had mounted through his costly criminal trial. In April 2006, one of Abdullah’s lawyers, Ahmed al Khan, was instrumental in arranging a deal with New York-based Fortress Investment Group, which refinanced Jackson's loans for $300 million. It brought the singer about $28 million in cash—spending money for the shopaholic Jackson—but meant he put up his own music-publishing company, Mijac, as collateral, and gave Sony the option to buy half of his stake in the Sony/ATV publishing company, for a fixed price. It was a huge victory for Sony, which had long wanted to wrest control of Sony/ATV from the singer.

Jackson left Bahrain in the fall of 2006. He traveled to Japan where he pocketed a million-dollar fee for hosting a Japanese awards show, and then went to Ireland where he stayed at Castlehyde in Cork with his friend, the dancer Michael Flatley. The singer was back full-time in the U.S. on December 23, 2006. Six months later, Prince Abdullah sued Jackson in London demanding a return of a master recording, and seeking $7 million in damages for Jackson’s failure to produce the book, albums, or play to which he had committed. Jackson denied he had signed anything. By the time the case reached the High Court in London in November 2008, a financial settlement was reached on the eve of when Jackson was due to take the stand. Although the settlement is sealed, a legal source familiar with the proceeding says that Jackson paid the prince at least $4 million.

Jackson’s American advisers have only venom for Abdullah, calling him a “fawning wannabe” who wanted to use Jackson to further his own unrealistic dream of a pop career. Meanwhile, Baharanian sources close to the royals describe Jackson as a freeloader who’s lavish spending and outrageous behavior eventually broke even the patience and bankroll of the prince. Both sides agree, however, that Jackson’s stay on the Arabian peninsula was a disaster for the downward-spiraling pop superstar.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/08/03/jackson-of-arabia.html
jackson_sued_1117.jpg

Bubs said:

Friedman was just wrong. We know what happened in that court case so why are these negative articles being added without comment. There was no record company properly incorporated, and no formal contract was signed, mj signed a draft agreement but it didn't seem to have been signed by anyone else. Even the media at the time of the trial showed the sheik in a really bad light. Thome settled the case for around $3m just before mj cd give evidence so we don't know everything.

The above article is written by Gerald Posner. You could as well as quote Randall Sullivan on Michael...

Posner is famous for plagarizing and quote fabricating. He also wrote trash about Michael. For example he claimed Michael killed himself: http://aconstantineblacklist.blogspot.hu/2009/07/cia-propaganda-shill-gerald-postner.html

Thanks Respect because I was seeing these nasty articles above & knew they came from a dump & was created by a sick mind, so it is good that you confirm that. They can't even decide if the amount is 4m or 7m & what exactly Michael promised to do there, because they don't all list the same things. Now if a Prince brought Michael there to do all these showbusiness things, how could one of the subjects say Michael is spoiling their place. The Prince it seems wanted "Vegas" in his country. Then, Michael makes a mistake & uses the wrong bathroom (if that is true), & it is turned into this big drama by the reporter.

Alicat stop looking in the dump heap for your sources.

Posners a nutjob ive seen him in several dodgy conspiracy docus on sky. Wasnt the settlement for three mill. ivy said the amount wad mentionef in court docs as aeg paid it.

the evidence from the trial showed the prince used mj he had jermaine bring him because of his desire to be in showbiz. he told mj come and stay with us ill look after u but as always there was an ulterior motive. he didnt care about looking after mj he just lavished mj so he could used it as a leverage to get mj to agree to work with him. basically blackmail if u want to look at it like that. make mj feel like he owed the prince because of his hospitality. guy whats his name admitted in testimony that the record label didnt even excist let alone be in a position to have contracts/records released. and when mj walked away then came the lawsuit because the princes plan of dpending on mj didnt work. he sued mj for everything included a tub of haggen das ice cream for three bucks. thats how pathetic he was. i saw in court his ppl showing their colours making snide comments after the settlement was anounced. the arab spring would be karma for those ppl

Posners a nutjob ive seen him in several dodgy conspiracy docus on sky. Wasnt the settlement for three mill. ivy said the amount wad mentionef in court docs as aeg paid it.

the evidence from the trial showed the prince used mj he had jermaine bring him because of his desire to be in showbiz. he told mj come and stay with us ill look after u but as always there was an ulterior motive. he didnt care about looking after mj he just lavished mj so he could used it as a leverage to get mj to agree to work with him. basically blackmail if u want to look at it like that. make mj feel like he owed the prince because of his hospitality. guy whats his name admitted in testimony that the record label didnt even excist let alone be in a position to have contracts/records released. and when mj walked away then came the lawsuit because the princes plan of dpending on mj didnt work. he sued mj for everything included a tub of haggen das ice cream for three bucks. thats how pathetic he was. i saw in court his ppl showing their colours making snide comments after the settlement was anounced. the arab spring would be karma for those ppl

Thanks Elusive, that is what I call straight talking:agree:
Michael wanted to go there for rest after the trial, and they used him, with help from Jermaine and Tohme to get him to do something he wasn't ready to do.

That ice-cream thing is so funny, can we send him a tube of Hagen-Daz?

220px-Gerald_Posner.jpg

Gerald Posner plagiarized New Times, PBS, and many others

"Several well-informed people in Miami Beach have advised me that there is a concerted effort underway to destroy my professional reputation, and in particular to discredit my book Miami Babylon," author Gerald Posner wrote ominously on his website March 22. "Undoubtedly, the book's unvarnished and investigative history has earned its share of enemies." That's what the South Beach-based author had to say after Miami New Times published eight passages from Frank Owen's 2003 work Clubland that Posner had lifted in a recently published volume about the city's history. It's also total bullshit. So far at least, the only one burning down Posner's career is the author himself. To wit: In the past week, doctoral student Gregory Gelembiuk and New Times — using special software and perusing texts — have come up with 16 brand-new instances of stolen prose by the author in Miami Babylon (as well as three formerly undisclosed examples from other work). We shared the thievery with Roy Peter Clark, a senior scholar and plagiarism expert at St. Petersburg's Poynter Institute. "These look like obvious cases of plagiarism to me," Clark says. "The fact that Posner at times changes a word or two is not nearly enough to qualify as paraphrase."

New Times sent Posner an email detailing all of the new problems we found in Miami Babylon. He didn't respond to the email or to multiple phone messages. Posner, on his blog, defends his earlier transgressions by arguing "there are degrees of plagiarism" and that his is less serious because he accidentally copied other people's work. "Mine is not a case like Jayson Blair or Stephen Glass where there was either wholesale copying from others or in some instances fabrication," Posner wrote March 17. "Any sentences copied by me from published sources were never done with the hope or expectation I'd trick others and get away with it." Posner, a San Francisco native and Berkeley grad, landed a job when he was just 23 years old with the blue-blood New York law firm Cravath, Swaine & Moore, according to his Simon & Schuster bio. By 1986, he had left to publish his first book, a biography of Nazi death doctor Josef Mengele. Posner has been journalism royalty since 1993, when he made best-seller lists and was a Pulitzer finalist for his fifth book, Case Closed, which attempts to prove Oswald acted alone in killing JFK. Since Case Closed, Posner has added to his resumé six more nonfiction works on topics from 9-11 to Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. In 2004, records show, Posner and his wife Trisha bought a $385,000 condo in SoBe's South of Fifth neighborhood. When Tina Brown started her Daily Beast website in 2008, she hired Posner as chief investigative reporter. His writing included local stories about Fontainebleau heir Ben Novack Jr.'s death and national pieces on Michael Jackson's last hours. His 454-page book about the sordid history of his new hometown, Miami Babylon, debuted to positive reviews last year. Everything began unraveling this past February 5, when Slate's media columnist, Jack Shafer, nailed him for stealing seven sentences from the Miami Herald in a Daily Beast piece. Posner said he was "horrified," apologized, and promised it was "inadvertent." That's when the doctoral student, Gelembiuk, became involved. He's an unlikely journalistic sleuth. A 48-year-old who studies zoology at the University of Wisconsin, he teaches biology and researches invasive species. For years, Gelembiuk has been using a website called Turnitin.com to catch students who plagiarize. In his experience, Gelembiuk says, plagiarists "never do it just once." After reading Shafer's column, he didn't buy Posner's apology. So he ran a half-dozen of the author's Daily Beast stories through the plagiarism site — as well as through software called Viper and Copyscape — and quickly came up with 11 more lifted sentences in three other Beast stories. Shafer wrote another column, and on February 10, the Daily Beast accepted Posner's resignation. He again apologized, blaming the "warp speed of the Net" for his problems. He later explained he'd stolen only "the most mundane information." Shafer didn't buy it. "You don't have to rob from Proust to qualify as a low-down plagiarist," Shafer wrote. "Even mundane information takes time and energy to collect and type up — sometimes more time and energy than it takes to toss off an original sonnet." But even that excuse went out the window March 16, when New Times published Owen's discovery of eight stolen passages in Miami Babylon. Posner again admitted he stole them. But again he had a scapegoat: a new system of "trailing endnotes" that led him to undercredit Owen's work. Now comes the new evidence turned up by New Times and Gelembiuk. For Miami Babylon, it seems Posner also borrowed from this publication, PBS, the Herald, Ocean Drive, and Men's Vogue. The pilfering seems to include both stand-alone sentences and longer passages. Fourteen of the new problems were found by Gelembiuk, who purchased an ebook of Miami Babylon to run it through plagiarism software when Posner's second apology also rang hollow. In our own review, we found two passages that seem to be lifted from one New Times story. Consider these two passages about developer Don Peebles from a 2003 New Times story and from Miami Babylon. Posner's passage is 27 words long; 22 of them come straight from the New Times story, including the unique phrase "relationship with Barry burned him." "Beating Whitey," by Francisco Alvarado, Miami New Times, February 6, 2003 In August 1995, however, Don's relationship with Barry burned him. The city council, in a rare move against Barry, balked at a $48 million plan to lease two office buildings from Peebles. Miami Babylon, page 290 In August 1995, Peebles' close relationship with Barry burned him. The D.C. city council rejected Barry's no-bid $48 million plan to lease two office buildings from Peebles. Or how about this prose in Miami Babylon about Beach pioneer Carl Fisher's founding of the Indy 500, which looks to be lifted straight from a David McCullough-narrated PBS documentary? Posner, as usual, does a little doctoring. This time, he has five original words out of 40. Almost 90 percent was stolen! Mr. Miami Beach, PBS American Experience, David McCullough On Memorial Day 1911, the Brickyard was ready for a new kind of auto race — a one-day, 500-mile event with prizes amounting to $25,100. Eighty-seven thousand people paid a dollar apiece to watch the first Indianapolis 500. This time the track held. Miami Babylon, pages 20 and 21 On Memorial Day 1911, the "brickyard" was ready for a new Fisher extravaganza — a one-day, 500-mile event, with $25,100 in prizes. Eighty-seven thousand people paid a dollar each to watch the first Indianapolis 500. This time the track surface held. Here's a doozy from the Herald archives. Notice the first sentence is lifted in full, without a single word changed. "New Adventure: Ian Schrager Wants to Try His Luck in North Beach, Miami, and Orlando," by Douglas Hanks III, Miami Herald, March 3, 2005 Condo-hotel sales let a hotel pass most of its debt and operating costs onto unit owners while raising millions of dollars in cash up front. Although Schrager faced financial challenges in recent years — including a year in bankruptcy protection for a San Francisco hotel and a scramble to refinance about $355 million in debt partly secured by the Delano — he says his portfolio performs well enough to raise plenty of cash from lenders. Miami Babylon, page 370 Condo-hotel sales let a hotel pass most of its debt and operating costs onto unit owners while raising millions of dollars in cash up front... Although Schrager had had financial challenges in recent years — including his San Francisco hotel, the Clift, in bankruptcy protection and a frantic scramble to refinance $355 million in debt — he claimed his portfolio was strong enough to raise the necessary cash. Time and again, Posner takes others' words and passes them off as his own in Miami Babylon. Click here to see all 16 new thefts in full. Posner's problems weren't limited to outright theft, though, Gelembiuk found. In several instances, the author seems to add, subtract, or misattribute quotes. Consider this passage on page 212 of Miami Babylon about South Beach developer Tony Goldman: "I always said this was a battle for territory," says Tony Goldman. "As the good people push out the undesirables, the whole area comes back to life." Posner correctly attributes the quote to a 1987 Miami Herald story. Unfortunately, Tony Goldman — a major character in Babylon — didn't say it. Instead, a developer named Pieter Bakker did. Or consider this quote on page 96 from tough guy John Roberts, taken from a 2005 New Times preview of the movie Cocaine Cowboys. Roberts is talking about Pittsburgh Steelers players snorting coke at his house during Super Bowl week in 1979. Here's Posner's passage: They partied and they really partied hard. I mean, you have no idea what these guys would go through. I'm saying, "You guys are going to go out tomorrow and play football?" The problem: the New Times version didn't include the word tomorrow. So was it another "inadvertent" mistake? Or was Posner trying to make the quote juicier by changing it to imply the Steelers were snorting up the night before playing? Again, on our website, we've collected six other instances of apparently altered or misattributed quotes that Gelembiuk rounded up. Taken as a whole, the new evidence presented here is the most damning yet that Posner isn't a victim of "warp speed" Internet, "trailing endnotes," or a conspiracy. He's just a serial plagiarist, plain and simple.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-0...agiarized-new-times-pbs-and-many-others/full/
He's probably not a reliable source since his reputation amongst his peers is tarnished!

Back