The Estate vs HBO

Maybe it has something to do with the arbitration?
WTF? I was just watching the new episode of Hard Knocks New York Jets on HBO and they actually had footage of the team at the MJ show with backstage footage. This was a long segment imo considering what they have done. What the actual fudge is going on

What about this arbitration? Why we don't hear anything about it? Did the Estate settle the case?

Last edited:
They probably settled this one. We would have heard something by now if they didn't.

EDIT - this came up as an item from 14/03/24 but, in fact, dates from 2020. Sorry, folks!

Looks like this was posted on 14 March 2024.

"A lower court ordered the case to arbitration last year, but HBO appealed, saying the 1992 contract had expired and had no “continuing validity".

The decision Monday from the 9th Circuit rejected the appeal and said arbitration should decide whether or not the estate’s claims deserve a remedy.

Judges Richard Paez, Lawrence VanDyke and Karin J. Immergut stressed they were not ruling on the substance of the estate’s claims, only the right of estate lawyers to make their case in arbitration."

Last edited:

"A lower court ordered the case to arbitration last year, but HBO appealed, saying the 1992 contract had expired and had no “continuing validity".

The decision Monday from the 9th Circuit rejected the appeal and said arbitration should decide whether or not the estate’s claims deserve a remedy.

Judges Richard Paez, Lawrence VanDyke and Karin J. Immergut stressed they were not ruling on the substance of the estate’s claims, only the right of estate lawyers to make their case in arbitration."

who else is excited to see what happens

who else is excited to see what happens
Not me. It's exhausting. The case went to arbitration last year - in February, iirc. I didn't know it had gone to appeal - unless it was on the other thread. @Annita is there another HBO thread? Or did I get that wrong? 🤔

Anyway, the appeal clearly delayed everything massively and here we are. I'm not a lawyer so I can't wrap my head around how long this legal stuff takes. Still, I'm glad there's been an update. Now we go back to waiting!

Isn't this article old?

Im pretty sure they already entered arbitration in Feb of 2023

Isn't this article old?

Im pretty sure they already entered arbitration in Feb of 2023
As I explained in my earlier post, yes, the case did go to arbitration in Feb 2023. When I Googled this, a week ago, the AOL article popped up as if it was quite recent - although without a date on it. When I accessed it the article below it was dated 13 March 2024. I have no idea if this one that I posted really is an up-to-date article, that is why I was trying to get input from @Annita to see if she had any thoughts on this.

The article says - "A lower court ordered the case to arbitration last year" - it would have been more helpful if they had inserted the actual year at that point rather than just vaguely referring to 'last year'.

@andjustice4some had been checking regularly for updates on this but I haven't seen anything for ages.

I find this HBO case quite confusing. The other one is pretty straightforward, this one ... not so much, imo.

The arbitrator from last year was the Honorable Terry B. Friedman. Whether he is still on the case I have no idea.

I certainly would like to know if this article is from this year or from 2023.

Back