The fact that all of his performances since the end of the HIStory tour have been short concerts...

fraroc04

Proud Member
Really does prove to me as a fan that by then, he was pretty much done with touring and performing. Normally an MJ show is around 90 minutes to 2 hours long, but after 1997, it really showed that he was really only willing to do short shows around 30 minutes. MJ & Friends was a medley of his hits plus 3 other songs, 30th Anniversary was a big 2 and 1/2 hour concert with Michael himself only being onstage for an hour (30 minutes doing Jacksons with his bros and 30 minutes of him doing his 4 biggest hits+YRMW) with his other hits being performed by other artists, and his final concert at the Apollo was just three songs and that's it....

It's because of this that I personally think that this notion that some MJ fans have of "Oh, if it wasn't for that Conrad Murray, This Is It would have happened without a hitch and it would be his best tour." is kinda too optimistic, especially when you heard about his health struggles and how skinny he was getting during rehearsals in 2009....I really don't think he would have been able to complete all 50 shows.

Really does prove to me as a fan that by then, he was pretty much done with touring and performing. Normally an MJ show is around 90 minutes to 2 hours long, but after 1997, it really showed that he was really only willing to do short shows around 30 minutes. MJ & Friends was a medley of his hits plus 3 other songs, 30th Anniversary was a big 2 and 1/2 hour concert with Michael himself only being onstage for an hour (30 minutes doing Jacksons with his bros and 30 minutes of him doing his 4 biggest hits+YRMW) with his other hits being performed by other artists, and his final concert at the Apollo was just three songs and that's it....

It's because of this that I personally think that this notion that some MJ fans have of "Oh, if it wasn't for that Conrad Murray, This Is It would have happened without a hitch and it would be his best tour." is kinda too optimistic, especially when you heard about his health struggles and how skinny he was getting during rehearsals in 2009....I really don't think he would have been able to complete all 50 shows.
I agree. I did see TII, multiple times, and although I had many reservations about it I also did fall in love with it. The show looked great. But, no, I'm not convinced that Michael could have completed the 50 show run. I had doubts even when they announced the 10 shows, I really did. I have always loved Michael first and foremost as a dancer, right from J5 days. But I understand that dancers have a short career. Of all the performing artists I think theirs is the shortest.

Michael was already nearly 51 when those shows would have started and he hadn't performed in a while. He wasn't Madonna, working out every single day. And we know the pressure of performing was problematic for him. I mean, the sheer slog of being on tour would be slightly less for TII cos he would have been in one location but that still leaves the actual hard slog of the shows. Michael was very strong, physically and mentally. But he was also, I don't wanna say fragile but he did have health problems, he did react badly to the pressure of touring and performing, it didn't do his physical health any favours. We know he loved being onstage and we know he was totally in command of that stage when he was up there. But I don't know if that means he SHOULD have been up there, at that point.

I think his performances and his dancing in TII are all fine but, of course, we know the story there with the editing and so on. I bonded very strongly with the film so I will always love it (although haven't seen it for 10 years) but I do have a very different understanding of it now after learning a totally different picture because of the AEG trial.

If Michael was still alive I wouldn't care if he never did any more work, never made another public appearance. If he was alive, safe and happy and stayed away from all of it I'd be so happy. If he was alive and just wanted to focus on being a recording artist, that would be fine. He seemed to love writing songs so that would be cool. If he still wanted to perform I'd like to think he would have considered doing smaller, shorter shows, maybe some type of 'unplugged' thing. Just Michael and the piano? Michael, piano and a very small chamber orchestra? Something where he could do the songs he didn't normally do, some of the slower stuff where it would be less exhausting for him physically and vocally. But, like I said, if he didn't want to do any of it anymore, who could complain about that? The man was working since he was a young child. He definitely had earned the right to step away from it all.

I never saw Michael live cos stadium shows are not for me but the first time I saw TII I did think, 'that's a lot for one person to carry'. As he said himself, he was just one person. He was only human. Michael knew how to carry a show like that, he'd done it so many times before. But he was nearly 51, he'd been through so much, the 2000's were, in many ways, harder for him than the 1990's. I'm just not convinced.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I'm so glad I saw TII and even more glad that I saw it before I knew the background story. I'm glad that there is a record of Michael's behind-the-scenes brilliance because the rehearsal footage that exists from, say, the 1990's is often poor quality and is usually just short fragments. I'm glad that people can see what an epic show he had planned, how much creative input he had, how much in control he was of the whole thing. I do believe he wanted to do the shows so his kids could see what it was all about. And that would have been brilliant. But we know there were other reasons for the shows not to mention the hideous pressure being placed upon him by AEG (as far as I can tell, I don't know the full story, I don't really want to, I don't think I could cope with the full, unvarnished story).

Maybe with a kinder timetable for the shows, maybe if people had taken care of him as they should have, maybe if people actually listened, maybe there might have been a way for (some of) the shows to happen.

Or maybe not.

Because he was only human. And he was just one person.

After the end of the HIStory Tour, Michael Jackson appeared to be disgusted with the grueling tour schedules and the bad effect of touring in general on his health.

Also, the singer made it clear in the early '00s that he wanted to focus more on creating, producing and even starring in new films, rather than in touring.

His main desire was to start a film production company that would release films, in some of them even with him as an actor with never seen before things and brand new dance moves from him in these films.

Also, he wanted to focus more on writing music for films (film score).

That is why he decided to minimize his performances by giving short concerts/shows here and there and when there was an important reason for doing that (anniversary performances, performances for raising money for philanthropic reasons, etc).

The 'This Is It' situation was a completely different thing.

The singer had to agree on a series of London performances in order to earn money so as to pay back his accumulated enormous debts.

Even with a kinder timetable for the 'This Is It' shows, he would not have been able to accomplish all of them.

He even collapsed on certain, early 'This Is It' rehearsals, according to sources close to him.

When his mother Katherine Jackson learned about the 'This Is It' 50 London performances was shocked and she expressed her fears that there was a disaster ahead because of his failing health (collapses, reschedules, cancellations, etc).

It literally hurts to doubt Michael's ability to perform, and no one can predict what has not happened, people often surprise themselves. But if I have to guess, I would agree with the sentiment here. It would have been a miracle (and miracles do happen) to pull the 50 shows in his state. From whatever I have read about Dangerous and HIStory tours, his health usually went downhill as tours progressed.
I often wondered why he chose to replicate previous tours with similar song list. There is no way he could have topped his own 40 year old self, why not choose to focus on singing and on newer song list. Perhaps too much risk.

I have not seen the movie yet, I think I would find it too painful. But based on the rehearsals, there is also possibility that media would have been brutal. They might have (unfairly) compared TII to previous performances and said bad things, or compared him to current 20 year olds. Who know, cannot imagine media being nice to him.

I have thought about it every day for the last one month, what kind of circumstances would have led him to agree to something like that. We have heard about financial pressure, but there were other ways to handle it. His estate was solvent in the end. Or perhaps he did genuinely wanted to make a come back to stage. Only he knows what drove him to the decision to agree to such a large high pressure commitment.

It literally hurts to doubt Michael's ability to perform, and no one can predict what has not happened, people often surprise themselves. But if I have to guess, I would agree with the sentiment here. It would have been a miracle (and miracles do happen) to pull the 50 shows in his state. From whatever I have read about Dangerous and HIStory tours, his health usually went downhill as tours progressed.
I often wondered why he chose to replicate previous tours with similar song list. There is no way he could have topped his own 40 year old self, why not choose to focus on singing and on newer song list. Perhaps too much risk.

I have not seen the movie yet, I think I would find it too painful. But based on the rehearsals, there is also possibility that media would have been brutal. They might have (unfairly) compared TII to previous performances and said bad things, or compared him to current 20 year olds. Who know, cannot imagine media being nice to him.

I have thought about it every day for the last one month, what kind of circumstances would have led him to agree to something like that. We have heard about financial pressure, but there were other ways to handle it. His estate was solvent in the end. Or perhaps he did genuinely wanted to make a come back to stage. Only he knows what drove him to the decision to agree to such a large high pressure commitment.

Ever since MJ came back to live in the U.S in 2007, he'd been constantly hounded day and night to do a residency somewhere or a U.S tour, but at his age and the fact that he had hurt his back pretty bad during the MJ and Friends bridge malfunction, he was beginning to realize his limitations. I mean, Michael told Bill Whitfeild and Javon Beard something along the lines of "they want me to perform like I did back then, but I'm not that kid anymore."

Ever since MJ came back to live in the U.S in 2007, he'd been constantly hounded day and night to do a residency somewhere or a U.S tour, but at his age and the fact that he had hurt his back pretty bad during the MJ and Friends bridge malfunction, he was beginning to realize his limitations. I mean, Michael told Bill Whitfeild and Javon Beard something along the lines of "they want me to perform like I did back then, but I'm not that kid anymore."
He did agree in the end, and that too to 50 shows! Makes you wonder what kind of pressure would make him buckle like that. There got to be some element of internal motivation to make a come back, or pull self out of debt. But we can only speculate.

Let's break the timeline down

1. After the HIStory Tour Michael begins work on the Invincible album (Not sure exactly when he started work on it) so he couldn't tour and work on an album at the same time.

2. Invincible was meant to be released in 1999 but was delayed until 2001 which set future tours back even further. He did perform the odd short show here and there but that's nothing compared to going on tour

3. In 2001-2002 he performed a certain amount of one off shows, but never did a full tour. And let's be honest. During this time he was in no condition to go on tour.

4. 2003-2005 - This was when the false molestation allegations reared it's ugly head, so there's no way Michael could have toured during this time.

5. 2006 - 2008 - Michael starts working on new music.

6. 2009 - Michael was ready to perform live again and possibly release a new album during this time.

I think that a number of things got in the way of Michael being able to perform a full concert.

Last edited:
He did agree in the end, and that too to 50 shows! Makes you wonder what kind of pressure would make him buckle like that. There got to be some element of internal motivation to make a come back, or pull self out of debt. But we can only speculate.
He initially only agreed to ten shows, but after those tickets sold like gangbusters, AEG had suddenly tacked on 40 more shows and Michael was sadly not in the position to refuse at all.

BUT - wasn't there plans of a tour to promote Invincible? - But that was cancelled due to the 9/11 terror-attacks.
Or is this just rumours?

BUT - wasn't there plans of a tour to promote Invincible? - But that was cancelled due to the 9/11 terror-attacks.
Or is this just rumours?
There were never plans for a tour to promote the 'Invincible' album at that time.

Michael Jackson in the early '00s had an intimate conversation with American record producer Cory Rooney, and he revealed to him that he could not tour anymore because of his health issues.

"...I can't tour anymore. I'm not gonna tour anymore. Ok? ... Because it will kill me…" (Michael Jackson)

And Sony Music did not have plans for a tour to promote the 'Invincible' album either because they were at loggerheads with Michael Jackson at that time.

It is telling that Sony Music did not even air a TV promotional commercial for the 'Invincible' album during the CBS TV broadcast of the MSG Anniversary shows in 2001.

Another reason why Michael could have agreed to This Is It is because that wasn't really a tour. It was 50 dates (With breaks in-between) in one place. Here he wouldn't have to worry about jetlag and adjusting to different time zones.

Not only did he commit to doing 50 shows in London, there were hints (although no official confirmations) that AEG was willing to take "This Is It" to other major cities around the world. Personally, I HIGHLY doubt that would've ever happened.

There were also rumors that MJ was going to perform at the 2010 Grammys & Super Bowl during the hiatus between shows, but again, no one in MJ's team has ever confirmed or denied if that was actually being considered by the man himself.

It was another case of mania. The shows sold out, the demand for tickets was extraordinary. Dollar signs started flashing so more dates got announced. Michael was just a pawn in this game of money. The pressure was high. In the end it proved too high and I was by no means surprised that Michael passed away.
I remember vividly talking to friends who wanted to go with me to London but I said I wasn't interested in watching Michael Jackson live because I knew he wouldn't be able to perform to the standards I wanted to see him. It would have tarnished my image of Michael the performer, in fact it was already tarnished with the HIStory tour but at least he looked fit then.

I know it is easier to think of him as just a pawn in the game, helpless, being tossed around by everyone, nothing was his fault. But I don't think that's fair to Michael. He was a strong accomplished person who made his own decisions. It is a fact that he was in debt, and he did use the money from TII to stop another auction of his possessions. This was not his first tour, he was aware of the pressure it puts on his health. He could have chosen a different path, reduce expenses and debt through auctions or whatever. We are in no place to judge what he decided and why he took those decisions. Sitting in the security of my anonymity, I cannot even begin to imagine his situation. But I do believe that he had choices and he decided what he thought was best at that time, that is to go ahead with the performances. I think portraying him as some helpless doll is not fair to him either.

In fact, the 1996 shows were better in performance energy than 97, although Michael still gave a perfect than any other artist

Let's break the timeline down

1. After the HIStory Tour Michael begins work on the Invincible album (Not sure exactly when he started work on it) so he couldn't tour and work on an album at the same time.

2. Invincible was meant to be released in 1999 but was delayed until 2001 which set future tours back even further. He did perform the odd short show here and there but that's nothing compared to going on tour

3. In 2001-2002 he performed a certain amount of one off shows, but never did a full tour. And let's be honest. During this time he was in no condition to go on tour.

4. 2003-2005 - This was when the false molestation allegations reared it's ugly head, so there's no way Michael could have toured during this time.

5. 2006 - 2008 - Michael starts working on new music.

6. 2009 - Michael was ready to perform live again and possibly release a new album during this time.

I think that a number of things got in the way of Michael being able to perform a full concert.
Wasn't MJ supposed to do more performances during 2007-2008? I heard he was planning to do performances in Las Vegas and for the Grammys but I never looked into it...

In fact, the 1996 shows were better in performance energy than 97, although Michael still gave a perfect than any other artist
I agree, something started to look off in 1997, if you compare in photos he had lost so much weight.... I wonder if he had relapsed at that point.

If Michael was still alive I wouldn't care if he never did any more work, never made another public appearance. If he was alive, safe and happy and stayed away from all of it I'd be so happy. If he was alive and just wanted to focus on being a recording artist, that would be fine. He seemed to love writing songs so that would be cool. If he still wanted to perform I'd like to think he would have considered doing smaller, shorter shows, maybe some type of 'unplugged' thing. Just Michael and the piano? Michael, piano and a very small chamber orchestra? Something where he could do the songs he didn't normally do, some of the slower stuff where it would be less exhausting for him physically and vocally. But, like I said, if he didn't want to do any of it anymore, who could complain about that? The man was working since he was a young child. He definitely had earned the right to step away from it all.

I never saw Michael live cos stadium shows are not for me but the first time I saw TII I did think, 'that's a lot for one person to carry'. As he said himself, he was just one person. He was only human. Michael knew how to carry a show like that, he'd done it so many times before. But he was nearly 51, he'd been through so much, the 2000's were, in many ways, harder for him than the 1990's. I'm just not convinced.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I'm so glad I saw TII and even more glad that I saw it before I knew the background story. I'm glad that there is a record of Michael's behind-the-scenes brilliance because the rehearsal footage that exists from, say, the 1990's is often poor quality and is usually just short fragments. I'm glad that people can see what an epic show he had planned, how much creative input he had, how much in control he was of the whole thing. I do believe he wanted to do the shows so his kids could see what it was all about. And that would have been brilliant. But we know there were other reasons for the shows not to mention the hideous pressure being placed upon him by AEG (as far as I can tell, I don't know the full story, I don't really want to, I don't think I could cope with the full, unvarnished story).

Maybe with a kinder timetable for the shows, maybe if people had taken care of him as they should have, maybe if people actually listened, maybe there might have been a way for (some of) the shows to happen.

Or maybe not.

Because he was only human. And he was just one person.
Hear, here *nods*
Y'all can blame me for that one. In my letter for his birthday, i 'told' him to get back into the spot light. But, I also told him to do it only if he was ready. Only kiddin', about the first part anyhow. I'm sure the financial issues were indeed a factor, but he might have had other reasons also. In any case, one thing is for sure - after he got my letter, he sure was out and about more 🤭 Between Oct.2008 - May 2009 he was seen more often than in previous years combined, wasn't he?

I know it is easier to think of him as just a pawn in the game, helpless, being tossed around by everyone, nothing was his fault. But I don't think that's fair to Michael. He was a strong accomplished person who made his own decisions. It is a fact that he was in debt, and he did use the money from TII to stop another auction of his possessions. This was not his first tour, he was aware of the pressure it puts on his health. He could have chosen a different path, reduce expenses and debt through auctions or whatever. We are in no place to judge what he decided and why he took those decisions. Sitting in the security of my anonymity, I cannot even begin to imagine his situation. But I do believe that he had choices and he decided what he thought was best at that time, that is to go ahead with the performances. I think portraying him as some helpless doll is not fair to him either.
For someone who is so new to MJLand, Hiker you do have a rather good grasp on things. I also think that perceiving or portraying Michael as the perpetual and universal victim, with no agency whatsoever, does not realy do him any justice. There was definitely a lot of deviousness and plotting around him, but he also was a very smart, ambitious, highly driven and most patient man, quite determined and accutely aware of his goals and the means through which to achieve them; most of them, anyhow. At times, he might have been too stubborn to allow the questioning of his ways and choices, even when those choices ended up hurting him and others so horribly much.

As for the O2 residency, I'll go ahead, be a broken record and say the same thing I've been sayin' for years now - Michael freakin' Jackson had no business whatsoever performing dozens upon dozens of concerts in a 20.000-seats arena. It was far too small a venue for him, representing an excessive and most unnecessary toil on his body, when the same could be accomplished through 5 shows at Wembley, in Hyde Park or somewhere similar in terms of capacity.

But then again, if viewed from a hoax perspective, the shows weren't going to happen anyhow and they were just the vehicle through which he could justify his 'disappearing act'. Given how frail and slim he seemed at the time, that sounds more than far fetched. The most plausible explanation is that the rehearsals themselves proved to be too much for him, let alone the real performance on the proper stage. But, as they say, appearances can be deceiving - there are people who look and sound completely healthy and happy, only to die suddenly. I suppose the opposite is also true - people who look highly frail and vulnerable end up being the most resilient ones.

Last edited:
@Antwort

Mm, you make an interesting point. Wembley Stadium vs. O2 Arena. Especially since it was the new version of Wembley Stadium with the expanded capacity.

I honestly rationally don't see much in "this is it" that tells me Michael was in control, that he knew what he was doing. I saw a lot of hand holding by Ortega, lots of the creative choices didn't seem to have come from him. To me he looked absent most of the time, a tired man. All of this tells me he was just a pawn and he probably started to believe in it a little more as time moved on, this happens when you see things progressing but there is nothing on film that screams to me "this is it", THE final curtain. All I saw was someone who wasn't able to bring energy into his performances anymore. It says enough that most of the rehearsal vocals were added in post production. His moves looked sluggish, no sharpness and speed at all.

If you start a tour as big as that you just have to be 100% fit, just compare the "dangerous tour" rehearsals and don't tell me you don't see the huge gap in energy and sound compared to "this is it". I understand he was way older but that is the entire point, if you can't go all out in rehearsals then to me it means you won't be able to go all the way once the shows actually start either.
You don't start a grueling 50 shows of give or take 3 hours at that age...

During his career he had so many dreams and ideas, he wanted to write soundtracks, he wants to do a classical album, he wanted to be an actor, he wanted to quit touring after the "bad tour". Nothing of this happened because he didn't have the final say in a lot of matters. Don't forget he is just an employee of a record company, his most creative ideas never came to fruition because a lack of backing from Sony. It is business every artist has the same problems.

Last edited:
I honestly rationally don't see much in "this is it" that tells me Michael was in control, that he knew what he was doing. I saw a lot of hand holding by Ortega, lots of the creative choices didn't seem to have come from him. To me he looked absent most of the time, a tired man. All of this tells me he was just a pawn and he probably started to believe in it a little more as time moved on, this happens when you see things progressing but there is nothing on film that screams to me "this is it", THE final curtain. All I saw was someone who wasn't able to bring energy into his performances anymore. It says enough that most of the rehearsal vocals were added in post production. His moves looked sluggish, no sharpness and speed at all.

If you start a tour as big as that you just have to be 100% fit, just compare the "dangerous tour" rehearsals and don't tell me you don't see the huge gap in energy and sound compared to "this is it". I understand he was way older but that is the entire point, if you can't go all out in rehearsals then to me it means you won't be able to go all the way once the shows actually start either.

During his career he had so many dreams and ideas, he wanted to write soundtracks, he wants to do a classical album, he wanted to be an actor, he wanted to quit touring after the "bad tour". Nothing of this happened because he didn't have the final say in a lot of matters. Don't forget he is just an employee of a record company, his most creative ideas never came to fruition because a lack of backing from Sony. It is business every artist has the same problems.
Fair point. When I said Michael was in control of everything I wasn't explaining myself very well. And won't be able to now as I'm exhausted. Just will say, point I was trying to make was that I know there are people who are not that into Michael who did see TII and were surprised and impressed by how much creative input he (apparently) had. People seem to think an artist just walks in after the show has been created and just delivers the performance. I'm not saying I understand this, I'm just saying I've heard people express these thoughts.

I never saw Michael live and haven't watched much of the rehearsal footage that is out there. A lot of it isn't very good quality. A lot of it seems to be short fragments. And the few bits I have watched I have only seen in the last 2 - 3 years. So when I saw TII in 2009 I was seeing it in a vacuum. I had nothing to compare it to. Also I was still dazed and confused by his death. Perhaps I was projecting. Perhaps I saw what I wanted to see. It's hard to be sure after all this time. And I love Michael first and foremost as a dancer and his physicality was still compelling for me. I did know that I was not seeing Michael at the top of his game. I remember someone saying that to me and I was adamant that, no, he definitely wasn't. But he was the one holding my attention. No-one else on screen was doing that. Only him.

I agree. You'd need to be 100% fit to deliver a show like this. I'm not convinced that Michael would have been able to do 50 shows as long and as demanding as these shows would have been. The content of Kenny Ortega's emails was shocking as were the stories from the fans who were there at the end with Michael. And yet, none of it was all that surprising to me.

And having said all of this, I still love TII. I have a really strong emotional bond with it.

I do understand what you say, BUT... and that's a bit but!

Imagine MJ had died in 1992 and all you ever saw was the Dangerous Tour rehearsals. - raw vocals, MJ is just walking around - no moonwalk in BJ. - Very far from the final product we all know and enjoy as The Dangerous Tour. - People would also say he looked off, he had no energy etc. etc.

This Is It was rehearsals - nothing more. MJ did actually look in control to me, giving instructions about everything from dancemoves to bass-rhytms, videos on the screen etc. - He looked to be in control 360 degrees. He told them how many soldiers he wanted in th TDCAU video etc. etc.

I am not saying MJ was a healthy man or he didn't have problems, but had he been able to sleep I think he could have performed 50 concerts with a big break in the midle. It was not like 50 concert on 50 days... He had more breaks than ever before and it ws the same location. No transport, no jetlag. It was much more relaxed than any other tour he had ever been on. Conrad Murray should have helped him sleep, finding him a sleep coach, relaxing music etc. - anything other than what he did really. Sleep would have saved MJ.

I do understand what you say, BUT... and that's a bit but!

Imagine MJ had died in 1992 and all you ever saw was the Dangerous Tour rehearsals. - raw vocals, MJ is just walking around - no moonwalk in BJ. - Very far from the final product we all know and enjoy as The Dangerous Tour. - People would also say he looked off, he had no energy etc. etc.

This Is It was rehearsals - nothing more. MJ did actually look in control to me, giving instructions about everything from dancemoves to bass-rhytms, videos on the screen etc. - He looked to be in control 360 degrees. He told them how many soldiers he wanted in th TDCAU video etc. etc.

I am not saying MJ was a healthy man or he didn't have problems, but had he been able to sleep I think he could have performed 50 concerts with a big break in the midle. It was not like 50 concert on 50 days... He had more breaks than ever before and it ws the same location. No transport, no jetlag. It was much more relaxed than any other tour he had ever been on. Conrad Murray should have helped him sleep, finding him a sleep coach, relaxing music etc. - anything other than what he did really. Sleep would have saved MJ.
Oh, this is so interesting. I've watched quite a few rehearsal clips from Dangerous. Never can stick with them for very long precisely because he's just marking / walking through. And I'm someone who loves to watch rehearsals almost as much as an actual performance so it's not as if I'm unused to seeing it done like that. I don't wanna slag off the Dangerous stuff - I think it's great that we have it - but I definitely don't find it compelling or feel that it gives any sort of picture of Michael as a dancer. I think TII gives a much clearer picture of that. And the poor picture quality puts me off.

I can understand why I respond better to TII. There's the emotional connection because of seeing it only a few months after Michael died. It was the first time I had seen Michael perform onstage (apart from video for APOM). The film quality is great. The show looks amazing and the production values seem to be much higher than in Michael's previous tours. Leaving aside questions of clever editing to avoid showing Michael on the days he was (possibly) struggling, the film has been beautifully edited with a proper narrative arc. You get the basic gist of the show as it would have played out on stage. You can really see the attention to detail. I really got to understand how a show like that gets put together. The 'story' flows really well. I get much more of what I want from TII which is:
1 - Michael dancing or moving or doing gestures, anything that illustrates his amazing physicality
2 - actual singing - there's enough live vocals in TII to keep me happy
3 - Michael directing, being in control, making changes as he goes along (e.g. in Earth Song, explaining why letting the earth mover close in silence would have more dramatic impact)
4 - Michael looking beautiful; I admit it, I'm shallow!
5 - lots of examples of Michael collaborating with his team
6 - seeing Michael looking divine in beautiful costumes (still being shallow!)

Maybe I could find some of this in the Dangerous footage but I haven't so far and I have watched many, many clips from it. I will keep on trying but, really, I have watched enough of it that it should have been able to draw me in already. There is definitely a huge gap between this footage and 'Jam' at the Bremen show which I adore and watch all the time.

I do understand that Michael's rehearsal footage was done for a very different purpose. He used it, I guess, as a tool to check how it was all going and to see what he wanted to change. It is more realistic with lots of stops and starts and mumbled discussions and so on. The two pieces of film are doing quite different jobs. But I still find the Dangerous stuff hard going whereas TII goes by like a dream.

Back