The fandom got so boring..

kai

Premium Member
Am i the only one who feels like that?

Maybe it's because i'm from Germany. We barely have any MJ-Events here..
I think it has to do with the fact that the estate refused to release some new exciting things.
Yeah, we get Thriller 40 now.. but i am not sure if this will relive the fandom.
Another new album or a box-set of concert blue-ray would have done the job better.

And also the online fandom got so tired. I remember back in around 2007 this forum here and others were so active, you could find something new everyday.
Even after MJ passed it was more active (in around 2014).

I barely come here to see if there is something new because there is barely anyhing new.
Sharing unseen content to the community is also a thing which became a rarity..
I never seen another fandom acting that way with collecting rare stuff. Other fandoms simply share what they have.

I miss the old days when it comes to the MJ-Mania ...
at this point i'd be even happy about a new HWT concert..

Isn't that kind of natural though. No new material got produced in last 12 years, so what's available is already leaked or became even more precious. Most of the fans moved on with their lives. I wonder how Elvis, Prince, Queen communities are doing.

Isn't that kind of natural though. No new material got produced in last 12 years, so what's available is already leaked or became even more precious. Most of the fans moved on with their lives. I wonder how Elvis, Prince, Queen communities are doing.

there is so much material from the 70s-2000s what could be released from estate.. and also traders still have stuff.

Am i the only one who feels like that?

Maybe it's because i'm from Germany. We barely have any MJ-Events here..
I think it has to do with the fact that the estate refused to release some new exciting things.
Yeah, we get Thriller 40 now.. but i am not sure if this will relive the fandom.
Another new album or a box-set of concert blue-ray would have done the job better.

And also the online fandom got so tired. I remember back in around 2007 this forum here and others were so active, you could find something new everyday.
Even after MJ passed it was more active (in around 2014).

I barely come here to see if there is something new because there is barely anyhing new.
Sharing unseen content to the community is also a thing which became a rarity..
I never seen another fandom acting that way with collecting rare stuff. Other fandoms simply share what they have.

I miss the old days when it comes to the MJ-Mania ...
at this point i'd be even happy about a new HWT concert..
The Michael Jackson on line fan forums became more active in 2014 because of the fact that the 'Xscape' album was released in that year.

That release generated more traffic and discussions in these on line fan forums because it was an album that covered many eras, so it attracted greater attention from more fans.

The release of the 'Thriller 40' album is going to have a much lower impact in that regard, simply because it refers specifically to one era, while its bonus songs are already known and leaked songs.

Of course in 2007 these on line fan forums were more active simply because Michael Jackson was still alive.

Even with his career in sharp decline (at that time), Michael Jackson still found ways to attract the attention of his fans and thus also to be talked about more in these on line fan forums (his 2007 Japan visit, L'Uomo Vogue photo shoot, Ebony photo shoot, and so on).

I really miss the time when the fans come together during various events. The video above is one of many offline parties in Vietnam. We sang and danced a lot of MJ songs. Is there anything we can do to bring this atmosphere back?..

As someone who only became a fan in Jan 2022, this is interesting to read. I have never been in any fan community before. I mean, I've been a massive fan of other artists, but I never participated online in any fan forums or spaces. So to me, this community feels so active. I talk to fans on here, Facebook groups, and Reddit. I follow fan content on Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok. It always feels like so much is happening to me, it can easily swallow up my life if I let it.

With that said, I can't even imagine what it was like when Michael was alive. Or during any of the more active times being referred to here. It sounds amazing but also completely overwhelming lol. I would absolutely love to experience it!

Sometimes I visit other fan forums of Michaelā€™s ā€œpeersā€. Itā€™s really shocking to see that there is barely any traffic ,and most of the people who were there months ago are totally gone. To be honest, MJ forums are much more ACTIVE than you think.

As someone who only became a fan in Jan 2022, this is interesting to read. I have never been in any fan community before. I mean, I've been a massive fan of other artists, but I never participated online in any fan forums or spaces. So to me, this community feels so active. I talk to fans on here, Facebook groups, and Reddit. I follow fan content on Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok. It always feels like so much is happening to me, it can easily swallow up my life if I let it.

With that said, I can't even imagine what it was like when Michael was alive. Or during any of the more active times being referred to here. It sounds amazing but also completely overwhelming lol. I would absolutely love to experience it!
Absolutely! Iā€™m feel same. Iā€™m became a fan in April 2022. And the feeling that every day I still learn new and new about MJ. I love this forum so much

Absolutely! Iā€™m feel same. Iā€™m became a fan in April 2022. And the feeling that every day I still learn new and new about MJ. I love this forum so much
That feeling of learning something new about him EVERY DAY lasted for me from probably January to July. But I was obsessively consuming content about him like several hours a day lol. It was taking over my life. I'm a college professor and I became so obsessed with MJ I basically stopped grading for like a month šŸ˜‚ So I've had to pull back quite a bit this fall in order to not repeat that pattern. But there is SO much to learn about Michael. There are so many elements of his life, his career, his art, his philosophies, his beauty, his everything... it can truly be all-consuming and my God, it's a blast lol

I started a thread when I first started and it's a great place to go to post about your new fan experience, if you want! https://www.mjjcommunity.com/thread...addicted-to-everything-about-this-man.200493/

But you can also start your own thread if you want to talk about that too. You can also just ignore everything I'm saying lol. Are you relatively new to the forum? I know we've chatted on some other threads recently, but I'm curious how long you've been a regular visitor here?

That feeling of learning something new about him EVERY DAY lasted for me from probably January to July. But I was obsessively consuming content about him like several hours a day lol. It was taking over my life. I'm a college professor and I became so obsessed with MJ I basically stopped grading for like a month šŸ˜‚ So I've had to pull back quite a bit this fall in order to not repeat that pattern. But there is SO much to learn about Michael. There are so many elements of his life, his career, his art, his philosophies, his beauty, his everything... it can truly be all-consuming and my God, it's a blast lol

I started a thread when I first started and it's a great place to go to post about your new fan experience, if you want! https://www.mjjcommunity.com/thread...addicted-to-everything-about-this-man.200493/

But you can also start your own thread if you want to talk about that too. You can also just ignore everything I'm saying lol. Are you relatively new to the forum? I know we've chatted on some other threads recently, but I'm curious how long you've been a regular visitor here?
I completely agree with every word, every facet of Michael's life is very interesting! And this energy that I feel through his work, his videos, photos, music every day gives me so much strength.
I feel like my life literally changed for the better with him, as if he saved me. Oh my god this is so incredible and I feel like I could talk about it for a very long time. šŸ˜‚
I registered on the forum recently, one of the first I found a Spanish forum and read a lot of information there. Then I found this forum and just read it for a while (I think it was in June). And then I felt that I was ready to fully become a part of all this and every day I understand more and more that it was a great moment and the best decision to become a part of this fandom.

I think there are a few reasons as to why things could've changed in this regard:

• Unfortunately, the mockumentary-which-shall-not-be-named might've played somewhat of a part (as much as I hate to admit it), although I'm not sure by how much exactly. I do know at least one MJ-oriented YouTuber quit after having watched it, which made me very sad to hear, especially since I became a fan exactly because of people who defended him. I'm not even angry at him over it; I'm more angry at the people behind the mockumentary having caused all this unneeded controversy. At the same time, there have been fans who've been defending Michael for a long time now and their minds probably have not changed, which is why I'm not 100% how much it has changed things.
  • This doesn't apply to social media, but I know forums are used less and less nowadays (something I find very sad; I'm pretty critical of social media in general). I know a lot of younger MJ fans are on TikTok nowadays (which I personally don't use), but forums tend to generally be avoided. I know this place has gotten a bit more active in recent months, but even then, I doubt it's like the way it used to be (though I can't say for certain, since I wasn't there at the time).
  • I'm not sure how big of a part this actually plays, if at all, but the sad fact is that Michael is no longer among us. Of course, there are still songs left in the vault and whatnot (I'm not sure how many, I hear different things in this regard and I'm not sure what to believe), but even if there were thousands and thousands left, there comes a point when that will end. I do think the estate has been slacking in this regard (weren't we supposed to get more posthumous albums??) but even then...
Honestly, I mostly just regret not having been a fan yet when Michael was still alive. My interest was somewhat piqued when he announced the This Is It concerts, but... well, we all know how that ended. šŸ˜„ And I'm personally not much of a "coattail rider" since it feels dishonest to me, so I mostly stopped paying attention to anything MJ-related after his death and put my idea of "becoming a fan" in the backburner (I was being bombarded with MJ stuff everywhere...! I actually got sick of it at the time... On one hand I feel guilty about that, but on the other... Well, it's hard to say how I would've felt had it happened nowadays, but as a not-yet-fan, I couldn't help but think, "OMG please stoppppp"). Instead I became a fan when a significant portion of the world decided to suddenly hate him... Around the 10th anniversary of his death no less, which I still believe was 100% calculated on the part of the mockumentary creators. Though I'm still very grateful for those who've supported Michael all this time; without them, I would not be here.

Just my 2 cents, of course! Maybe I'm overlooking certain things.

@DangerousGal91

-I am sure MJ lost a lot of fans due to LN, mostly casuals probably but still admirers so I am not surprised about that youtuber and I donā€™t blame him either.
-Forums are indeed a thing of the past. In the early internet days forums were super busy, I thought it was great, likewise for chatrooms, every random website seemed to have a chatroom lol. I loved the pre ads internet!

Regret is the worst, it is my middle name lol. My mother probably tried to name me Regret, I have no other explanation for all the regret I experience in my life šŸ¤Ø
Isnā€˜t it the entire point of an artist having a legacy? It should attract new fans. So you came a bit late to the party but youā€™re here now and it is awesome šŸ˜
Yesterday I saw toddlers wearing a thriller jacket on youtube and they were doing the thriller routine, that is legacy!

Anyway forget regret, leave that to me and I will take your 2 cents thank you!

Last edited:
@DangerousGal91

-I am sure MJ lost a lot of fans due to LN, mostly casuals probably but still admirers so I am not surprised about that youtuber and I donā€™t blame him either.
-Forums are indeed a thing of the past. In the early internet days forums were super busy, I thought it was great, likewise for chatrooms, every random website seemed to have a chatroom lol. I loved the pre ads internet!

Regret is the worst, it is my middle name lol. My mother probably tried to name me Regret, I have no other explanation for all the regret I experience in my life šŸ¤Ø
Isnā€˜t it the entire point of an artist having a legacy? It should attract new fans. So you came a bit late to the party but youā€™re here now and it is awesome šŸ˜
Yesterday I saw toddlers wearing a thriller jacket on youtube and they were doing the thriller routine, that is legacy!

Anyway forget regret, leave that to me and I will take your 2 cents thank you!
Yeah I really think the forum thing is quite a loss at times; I'm too scared to talk about Michael a lot on social media. I usually don't mention him by name in text since I'm afraid of vultures piling upon me; Twitter is especially bad with this, since there are people so obsessed with that platform that they're constantly keeping tabs on certain search terms and then proceed to harass other users. A forum like this feels much safer since we're all fans, after all. That's why I joined to begin with.

Social media really isn't a safe place, especially for Michael Jackson fans. It just really sucks. I try to be positive since he still has so many lovely fans out there, but I do get weary at times. Having to defend him all the time can be very emotionally demanding. I haven't been harassed over it yet, thankfully enough, but I'm extremely scared it will happen one day. Honestly even in real life I'm scared, nobody even knows I'm a fan yet. I'm even afraid some of my family members would judge me for it. It does not exactly help my existing anxiety disorder, no.

"But weren't you very positive about all this a while ago?" It's a faƧade, to keep my head "clear". But this is what I really feel. I don't like to be negative, because truth is, I'll panic if I am.

... Anyway. I think you get the idea; I just prefer the idea of more closed-off spaces for specific interests, ran by small groups of people who actually partake in that interest, instead of the wide gatherings of social media. It's much more trusting and safe; it's a scary world out there, after all.

I felt sad while reading this. Although I understand all this very well. I also consider the forum a safer place, plus I like the charm of this place. Reminds me of the times when I just got the Internet and then we also sat on the forums (not dedicated to any topic), everything is so calm here and there is no increase in speed like in social networks. It suits me
And also in my life I come across people in front of whom I have to defend Michael, but I am not an authority for them. They can say I watched a video on YouTube and it says it's true. I start to get angry as some people who don't know anything, trust other people just like them, just because of their regalia.
I think we will cope with everything and thanks to us the forum will continue to live and we have each other to support
And of all, I remember exactly how the LN film became widespread in Russia. It's so awful.

To me I feel the fandom still grows to this day, even with the revolving door of the expansion forms of social media, which is a literal love/hate relationship amongst all generations and all. There are still many forums out there that are still going strong, let alone it is sad of how activity decreases of it, but I digress, I actually enjoy the forum because it feels welcoming, safe and insightful; as well as it is a special bond and link to us all who keep Michael's legacy alive and thriving.

I have absolutely had my fair share of folks that are either too quick to judge, downright nasty, or just turn the other cheek blindly in the sense of how Michael is being treated and perceived, but at the end of the day I have my head held high knowing that Michael is still loved by all of us, including myself.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back to a time when social media did not blow up so much as it is right now, I remember how vivid and busy the forum and fan sites were, it was a much more fun, interactive, and much simpler time. *well back in my day!....lol I sound old lol* Anywho that's my two cents worth, and some lightheartedness here lol but yes I really enjoy this community so much.

It got "boring" due to many factors.
  • The division of the fan community after Michael died
  • The heavy bias of marketing and promotion to the American casual fan market
  • Fans not knowing how to be just fans and expecting a big hype event every few months
  • The rise of social media

It got "boring" due to many factors.
  • The division of the fan community after Michael died
  • The heavy bias of marketing and promotion to the American casual fan market
  • Fans not knowing how to be just fans and expecting a big hype event every few months
  • The rise of social media
I do agree with these points, especially about the rising advancement of social media. I feel so old school about it and I'm ok with that lol

With Thriller 40, it's not boring right now... It feels nice to see everyone discussing and getting excited about the release and 4K releases.

Back