The lady in my life full version

Perhaps the estate don't have it. Didn't it show up on an obscure rod temperton compilation and sounded like it had been transferred from a tape?

The issue was not enough space on the vinyl record, and particularly on Side 2.

So, they decided to shorten 'Billie Jean', but that did not entirely resolve the issue.

They decided to shorten also 'The Lady In My Life' by removing the first chorus and the second verse from it.

After that, Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, and Bruce Swedien were totally satisfied with the results and no other changes were later made on the 'Thriller' album.

Also, the full version of 'The Lady In My Life' has not been included on any Michael Jackson special edition/compilation albums apparently because that would confuse listeners as to which version of the song is actually the original one.

Perhaps the estate don't have it. Didn't it show up on an obscure rod temperton compilation and sounded like it had been transferred from a tape?
The version on the RT compilation is sourced from the first Allen Zentz Mastering acetate.

Epic/Sony & the estate have access to its uncut master/multitrack tapes but they can't release it without Qs consent.

Time constraints. Back in 82 there was vinyl and tape. However, you would think with the invention of compact disc, they would have put the longer version on the 2001 special edition release, or T25 or T40 releases. The long version is absolutely wonderful and deserves to be heard by the general public who most may not know it's existence.

Maybe Michael just preferred the shorter version, Smooth Criminal had additional verses too and probably other tracks, Michael just chose not to release them

Maybe Michael just preferred the shorter version, Smooth Criminal had additional verses too and probably other tracks, Michael just chose not to release them
And yet MJ always sang the cut verse instead of the album version (under the playback, of course)
Maybe he did out of habit, since i assume MJ did a million takes for SC and the cut verse just stuck with him lol

All I know it was released on the Song Written Rod Temperton compilation album
It has the full version of TLIML

All I know it was released on the Song Written Rod Temperton compilation album
It has the full version of TLIML
The version released in that compilation comes from a beat up cassette tape, and as a result, it doesn't sound great.
There's a 2nd version on Brad Sundberg's vimeo from a cassette of his that is in better condition, but it's still not great :(

I like how the chorus has different words each time. I sometimes have a hard time with pop music for rehashing lyrics. TLIML doesn’t do that as much which is a quality. This is why I initially was into folk music.

The version released in that compilation comes from a beat up cassette tape, and as a result, it doesn't sound great.
There's a 2nd version on Brad Sundberg's vimeo from a cassette of his that is in better condition, but it's still not great :(
ohh That's too bad : (

Ahhhh, I soooo wish he would have done this one live - all I think about is the little bit he sang of "Its A Man's World" on stage with James Brown. That type of soul he sang is what I imagine he would have sounded like singing TLIML live - omg :love:
All those adlibs at the end, the "begging" that he described in Moonwalk.

F*ck it, just the recording session of this would be enough for me.........................

Never heard that before. Thanks.

I wonder which version would have done better as a single, short or long.

It's a tragedy that the full version has never been included on any Thriller album or special edition.

That 2nd verse is killer!

What was the issue? Not enough space on the record? Limitations of the time etc?

I wish they would include this in the documentary.

Also, the full version of 'The Lady In My Life' has not been included on any Michael Jackson special edition/compilation albums apparently because that would confuse listeners as to which version of the song is actually the original one.
This reasoning has never made any sense, to me.

They've released the long version of Billie Jean, titled 'Billie Jean (Long Version)', which is the full-length version of the song. In fact, that version has finally been released on streaming platforms via Thriller 40, whereas it was difficult to find unless you had the maxi singles or compilation releases.

So, unless they no longer have the multitracks etc from The Lady In My Life, there has never been a valid excuse as to why they've never included it, unless the team just doesn't know how to properly label/title alternate versions. Nobody, unless you're severely neurodivergent, would be confused.

A ten-year old would know how to label these other versions.
It takes 10 seconds to re-name it 'The Lady In My Life (Full Length Version)".

That's not the reason at all lol

Back