The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

@Hurley509

But to be honest if I wasn't visiting this place daily I wouldn't recognize any resurgence. I also don't come into contact with young people anymore. So for me there is no visible evidence MJ is still popular.
That's a good point. I'm the same. If I wasn't checking Twitter or looking at this thread I would have no clue about any of this.

I hear his music on radio all the time. They play it in public and that's really enough indication for me.
Another good point but I don't listen to radio. Well, I do now - Urban Smooth on Dublin South FM but I already know he's gonna play Michael every week - that's why I listen. Sometimes I check Trevor Nelson's playlists but that's it.

Good to know Michael is still all over the airwaves.

I am not sure it will be "one final time" for Michael Mania. I used to think that the thing wouldn't keep on going, but we're getting a completely unexplained resurgence right now - obviously TikTok is a factor but WHY is it resonating so much there all of a sudden?
This is still interesting, though, imo. Radio play is great - I'm all for it - but it wouldn't tell me what the 'kidz' are doing on social media.

@Hurley509

But to be honest if I wasn't visiting this place daily I wouldn't recognize any resurgence. I also don't come into contact with young people anymore. So for me there is no visible evidence MJ is still popular.

I think it would take avoiding a few things to not see his ongoing popularity. Mainstream radio often still plays his, he'd played in bars and clubs. And the resurgence is even more evident just with the evidence we have of Spotify charts and current album sales. There's a definite resurgence right now. And sure a lot of people may not know about it but the data strongly supports it

I hear his music on radio all the time. They play it in public and that's really enough indication for me.
I think it would take avoiding a few things to not see his ongoing popularity. Mainstream radio often still plays his, he'd played in bars and clubs. And the resurgence is even more evident just with the evidence we have of Spotify charts and current album sales. There's a definite resurgence right now. And sure a lot of people may not know about it but the data strongly supports it
I agree. At least in the radio-stations I hear Thriller 40 was like a turning-point. After Leaving Neverland tha airplay was significant less,they avoid to play him, but with Thriller 40 there were positive reports and the radio-play come back in the follow month and not limited to Thriller but songs from all albums, even YRMW. I hear no negative comments when they announce his songs.
And of course the performance from music-stars on Spotify, youtoube, social media, music-sales are the indications how well a artist does and to see MJ is the the top solo-legacy-artist and does better then many,many famous current artist is great.

MJ's sales were certified at 750 million in 2007 by Guinness World Records and Sony Music, by 2015 they were at 1 Billion which Epic Records and Sony Music confirmed. Seeing as seemingly every person in the world or at the lowest possible estimate 90% of the planet has heard of him and listened to his music at one point, there's no reason to believe anyone sold more than him. How many records including pirated of Michael's music do you think has been downloaded / shipped? 2 Billion? 3 Billion?

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know what his sales were doing in those last few years of his life, from just after Invincible, through the trial, the concert announcements and then immediately after his death. There would have been entire years when he barely charted I am sure. I remember thinking he was basically in oblivion for long stretches. It's interesting he's become so much more relevant in 2023 than he appeared to be in say, 2003/4/5.

Back