The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Here are the daily Spotify streaming totals of 3 Jacksons albums from 19/01 till 20/01/2023: Destiny, Triump and Victory.
I'm not posting the totals anymore (time consuming), you can open Spotify and watch them yourself. Just the daily streams.

Blame it on the boogie 134.483
Push me away 502
Things I do for you 735
Shake your body 6414
Destiny 476
Bless his soul 197
All night dancing 383
That's what you get for being polite 1007

Can you feel it 16327
Lovely one 1166
Your ways 341
Everybody 539
Heartbreak hotel 14376
Time waits for no one 520
Walk right now 855
Give It up 438
Wondering who 408

Torture 10.858
Wait 240
One more chance 253
Be not always 122
State of shock 2339
We can change the change the world 94
The hurt 98
Body 329

What can I say these streams are as good as non existent and I firmly believe it is because the songs are credited to the Jacksons and not Michael Jackson despite Michael being the lead singer in most of those tracks. So who listens to these? I don't know perhaps only the absolute die hard fans? Maybe it are some weird people who love the Jacksons but not Michael Jackson? On these 3 albums there are only about 5 tracks that equal Invincible's daily streams and they are already quite low.
I wanna highlight one of my favorites: be not always, it gets played 122 times a day in a world of 8 billion people.
Forgotten music.
This is horrifying. Even I can't find a positive spin. I'm shocked. I listen to the Jackson's almost as much as I listen to MJ's solo work. How could anyone not? It's literally Michael Jackson. Do people not understand what they are missing???

Anyway to follow your lead, Push Me Away is one of my favorite songs ever. Only 502 plays daily in the world?? How?? 😭

I do refuse to think of this music as forgotten, though. That word is too painful. Let me rebrand that... deprioritized? Which means it can change. It can be reprioritized. But how? What needs to happen for the 35 million monthly MJ listeners to get expand to the Jackson's? Sigh. This is more of a rhetorical question but either way this just kills me.

Yes it can change. Torture is now a decent streaming song because it was on the ”scream” compilation. A similar compilation called MJ ballads could have the same effect on songs like push me away or time waits for no one. Lots of people would look at that tracklist and think they are brand new songs lol
As odd as it sounds I think most people simply don’t associate Michael with the Jacksons. Maybe they got confused by the name change from Jackson 5 to Jacksons? Outside the USA the brothers are not really household names, the Jacksons releases got literally snowed in by Off the Wall and Thriller.
The remaining Jacksons that are touring sometimes play some of these deep cuts live, the people in attendance simply don’t know that originally MJ sang them?

The problem is not the quality that is for sure so there is always hope

Yes it can change. Torture is now a decent streaming song because it was on the ”scream” compilation. A similar compilation called MJ ballads could have the same effect on songs like push me away or time waits for no one. Lots of people would look at that tracklist and think they are brand new songs lol
God I wish this would happen! This is what makes me lose my mind a little. If you love Michael but don't listen to the Jackson's you are missing out on what basically feels like a whole other slew of MJ albums. I understand some people may just not like the music (though I don't get it) but I wonder how many give it a try.

As odd as it sounds I think most people simply don’t associate Michael with the Jacksons. Maybe they got confused by the name change from Jackson 5 to Jacksons? Outside the USA the brothers are not really household names, the Jacksons releases got literally snowed in by Off the Wall and Thriller.
The remaining Jacksons that are touring sometimes play some of these deep cuts live, the people in attendance simply don’t know that originally MJ sang them?

The problem is not the quality that is for sure so there is always hope
I'll be honest. Before I got into Michael, I only knew about the existence of the Jackson 5. I locked their music (the hits) and had known them all my life. I had no idea the Jacksons even existed (though I had always known Shake Your Body somehow). So you may be right about people just not knowing.

But you're right. The problem is not the quality. But this music deserves soooo much better.

This is horrifying. Even I can't find a positive spin. I'm shocked. I listen to the Jackson's almost as much as I listen to MJ's solo work. How could anyone not?
Bc there are only so many hours in the day? I only got into the Jacksons big time last year - bc of f&m - and I still don't listen to them even 5% as much as I listen to Michael and I honestly don't expect that to change. It might but I don't think so.

Actually, it's not even time limitations. I just don't feel as drawn to J5 or Jacksons stuff - as much as I love it - as I do to Michael's solo stuff.

That said, with HCW and Chicago trending as hard as they did last year, anything is possible.

It's literally Michael Jackson. Do people not understand what they are missing???
But the music feels different. Even with Michael's lead vocals, it still feels different, imo. So maybe that's why.

What needs to happen for the 35 million monthly MJ listeners to get expand to the Jackson's?
The question of numbers is interesting to me. After Michael died there was a feeling that MITM would - finally! - get to No.1 in the UK. But it didn't. So the size of Michael's fan base is important but clearly it's not the only factor.

Outside the USA the brothers are not really household names, the Jacksons releases got literally snowed in by Off the Wall and Thriller.
Between 1971 and 1973 J5 had 7 UK Top 20 hits, between 1977 and 1981 the Jacksons had 5 Top 20 UK hits plus State of Shock in 1984. Otoh, I think their sales benefited from Michael's solo success but, otoh, their profile is definitely lower than J5. Which is interesting.

Michael, unleashed as a solo artist, is more compelling. Is that it?

Sidenote: I'm confused by the UK Official Charts page. I just checked and it's not showing MITM at No.2 in 2009. Well, I know for sure it got to No.2. Held off the No.1 spot by Cascada with Evacuate The Dance Floor. The lead singer even mentioned it in an interview. She felt a bit guilty bc she loved Michael so felt conflicted about her first UK No.1 being the song that blocked him. I've just looked at the page 4 times. I can't believe it's not showing up. Totally confused. I must be looking at it wrong!

Last edited:
Maybe they got confused by the name change from Jackson 5 to Jacksons? Outside the USA the brothers are not really household names, the Jacksons releases got literally snowed in by Off the Wall and Thriller.
I think it would be justified if the Jacksons had an account with the Jackson 5, just name it Jackson 5/ The Jacksons. It's not like it's a different music- band, the name change had legitimate reasons. The merge of the Spotify-account would be legitimate. And that automatically puts the Jacksons' albums more in the spotlight. 17,837,099 monthly listeners to the Jackson 5 isn't bad. It may a effort from the Jacksons, supported by the MJ-Estate reach that this will happen. How is it on other music-streaming-services. Are there allways two accounts ?

Bc there are only so many hours in the day?
Of course... my "how could anyone not?" question wasn't meant to be asking how anyone couldn't listen to MJ and the Jacksons equally, but more how could anyone not listen to the Jacksons AT ALL. But really it was just a rhetorical question stemming from my shock at these numbers, not a criticism of anyone.

I only got into the Jacksons big time last year - bc of f&m - and I still don't listen to them even 5% as much as I listen to Michael and I honestly don't expect that to change. It might but I don't think so

That's fine. I'm not saying every single person who enjoys Michael's music has to listen to the Jacksons, or that anyone has to enjoy them as much as I do. I was more just stunned by there being such a significant difference in popularity, as if Michael isn't even attached to this music.

Actually, it's not even time limitations. I just don't feel as drawn to J5 or Jacksons stuff - as much as I love it - as I do to Michael's solo stuff.
Well, sure. I also understand it's not for everyone. I understand even more how some people may not listen to J5, even though they are great, because MJ's voice is obviously completely different.

I didn't even listen to Michael Jackson at all really until Jan 2022, so I'm not criticizing anyone for what they don't listen to. I was just expressing my sheer surprise at the massive disparity pointed out by those numbers. I would have assumed more of Michael's fan base were also fans of the Jacksons. Some may be, but just strongly prefer MJ. But the numbers make me wonder. I know several MJ fans I've met other places than here who don't listen to the Jacksons at all, but I had assumed for some reason they were outliers.

All of this would probably be different if MJ continued to perform more Jackson's' songs beyond the Bad tour. Even then he only performed a few. Those performances are what made me interested in learning more, though.

Interestingly (to me lol) just the other night my husband and I did this MJ bracket where he picked random songs to put against one another, forcing me to pick my favorite to finally determine my favorite MJ song. Strangely, this was his idea not mine lol. Anyway. I realized as we were doing this how much the music videos and performances impact my love of a song. Being able to envision Michael really does something for me. So.. yeah.

This is all a much longer point than I was trying to make, as always 😂

I think it would be justified if the Jacksons had an account with the Jackson 5, just name it Jackson 5/ The Jacksons. It's not like it's a different music- band, the name change had legitimate reasons. The merge of the Spotify-account would be legitimate. And that automatically puts the Jacksons' albums more in the spotlight. 17,837,099 monthly listeners to the Jackson 5 isn't bad. It may a effort from the Jacksons, supported by the MJ-Estate reach that this will happen. How is it on other music-streaming-services. Are there allways two accounts ?

This is a great point!

Interestingly (to me lol) just the other night my husband and I did this MJ bracket where he picked random songs to put against one another, forcing me to pick my favorite to finally determine my favorite MJ song. Strangely, this was his idea not mine lol. Anyway. I realized as we were doing this how much the music videos and performances impact my love of a song. Being able to envision Michael really does something for me. So.. yeah.
What song won?
I visit 2 music rating websites very regularly and in the beginning both the Jackson 5 and Jacksons discography was separated until people started asking the administrators (after a poll) to add them together. It is the natural thing to do. Black Sabbath to name one band has had 4 different lead singers to my knowledge (resulting into very different sounding eras for them) but their name never changed and their discography never got separated. I think only the brothers themselves can ask Spotify to do this for them.

Of course... my "how could anyone not?" question wasn't meant to be asking how anyone couldn't listen to MJ and the Jacksons equally, but more how could anyone not listen to the Jacksons AT ALL.
This is the point I clearly failed to make - and I'm not about to try again now, lol. I love J5 and the Jacksons music but I just don't have a feeling of surprise or confused disbelief over this huge discrepancy in the listening figures.

But really it was just a rhetorical question stemming from my shock at these numbers, not a criticism of anyone.
I understand this, your comments def did not come across as criticism.

That's fine. I'm not saying every single person who enjoys Michael's music has to listen to the Jacksons, or that anyone has to enjoy them as much as I do. I was more just stunned by there being such a significant difference in popularity, as if Michael isn't even attached to this music.
Again I would say that the point I was making is that I'm not at all surprised by the discrepancy in numbers. Maybe it's just me but it just doesn't seem that weird to me. I get that the gap is huge. But it begins and ends there for me.

UK-album -charts:
Number Ones 34 (-2)

Thriller dropped from 45 to 72 in Germany 😥

Now we need the Thriller-docu. 🙏

And now the daily streams for albums "got to be there" and "off the wall". Streams are calculated from 21/1 to 22/1/2023

Ain't no sunshine 7854
I wanna be where you are 7561
Girl don't take your love from me 532
In our small way 594
Got to be there 11.175
Rockin Robin 17.683
Wings of our love 337
Maria (you were the only one) 722
Love is here and now you're gone 367
You've got a friend 671

Don't stop till you get enough 208.456
Rock with you 272.258
Working day and night 20.349
Get on the floor 8230
Off the wall 59.879
girlfriend 6696
She's out of my life 16.741
I can't help it 20.461
It's the falling in love 7950
Burn this disco out 4419

BONUS someone in the dark 1153

SITD :-(
Good for the album tracks of off the wall though, decent streaming numbers for the album

I’m not surprised that it’s the singles that have more plays than the album tracks. I’ve always felt they were the best songs, and that the right choices were generally made in releasing them.

I think some people see the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons as the same group. they may not even be aware of the Jacksons - despite knowing a few of their hits. the Motown legacy is simply greater. more iconic. the earlier years (‘69-‘72) in particular, which happen to be my favourite💜. the Jacksons got off to a decent start with their debut album. ‘show you the way to go’ was even a uk number one. however, their second album ‘going places’ was a flop - to the point where their record label was considering dropping them. once Michael’s ‘off the wall’ was released, it eclipsed everything they had done before. his solo career was now the priority and not to group. whereas before it was the other way around. I think more than anything, this affected the Jacksons legacy.

I believe that people are missing out on Michael as a frontman during those developing years. much of what he would later perfect onstage began here. ‘can you feel it’ (and even ‘blame it on the boogie’) was just as groundbreaking as his solo short films. it was also his creative vision.

yet I think that it’s precisely because he was part of a group that much of this era is overlooked. people (myself included) just wanted to see and hear Michael at that point. it was clear that he had long outgrown his brothers, and that it was time for him to flourish as an individual.

the Jacksons YouTube page combines content from both groups.

I’m not surprised that it’s the singles that have more plays than the album tracks.
Same. It's a virtuous circle. Doesn't matter how people are accessing the music, the singles will always get more attention, imo.

I’ve always felt they were the best songs, and that the right choices were generally made in releasing them.
This 1000x.

I think some people see the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons as the same group. they may not even be aware of the Jacksons - despite knowing a few of their hits. the Motown legacy is simply greater. more iconic.
Exactly so. The Tamla era will always have a magical aura that the Jacksons era will just never have, imo. There are some great songs in there, for sure, but the Motown legacy is like a Colossus compared to Epic. It's got that whole 'cultural significance' thing going on.

the Jacksons got off to a decent start with their debut album. ‘show you the way to go’ was even a uk number one.
The other day I was checking the number of Top 20 hits from J5 vs. Jacksons and it wasn't massively different as far as the numbers go. But the J5 songs, as you say, are more iconic.

however, their second album ‘going places’ was a flop - to the point where their record label was considering dropping them. once Michael’s ‘off the wall’ was released, it eclipsed everything they had done before. his solo career was now the priority and not to group. whereas before it was the other way around. I think more than anything, this affected the Jacksons legacy.
All of this. As good as The Jacksons were they were never gonna be able to compete with solo Michael, imo.

I believe that people are missing out on Michael as a frontman during those developing years. much of what he would later perfect onstage began here. ‘can you feel it’ (and even ‘blame it on the boogie’) was just as groundbreaking as his solo short films. it was also his creative vision.
I agree with this but can still understand why people don't bother so much with the earlier stuff. I love to *watch* Michael performing with his brothers. Watching him develop as an artist is awesome, magical, endlessly interesting. But listening to the Jacksons vs. listening to Michael's solo work, it's not nearly as compelling for me and presumably it's the same for other people also, hence the gap in the listening figures.

Last edited:
It does about 400-450k streams a day, from my observation.
Hmm I took the figure on Spotify waited 24h and then took the new figure and the difference was 69 000. I remember thinking this was not possible as Chicago is currently MJ's 2nd best streaming song but on my calculations it wasn't even top 5.

3 days to go for Chicago to crack 100 million streams! 99.850.771
This is the post I did yesterday and I checked todays number and the tally is exactly the same
So it seems the work I did is futile as the numbers aren't always updated daily? I'm clueless

Either way Chicago is currently MJ's 2nd best streaming song behind billie jean

From the first time I heard Chicago I knew Timbaland did a great job with that song.
In 2014 they said I was a mad man.

Hmm I took the figure on Spotify waited 24h and then took the new figure and the difference was 69 000. I remember thinking this was not possible as Chicago is currently MJ's 2nd best streaming song but on my calculations it wasn't even top 5.

This is the post I did yesterday and I checked todays number and the tally is exactly the same
So it seems the work I did is futile as the numbers aren't always updated daily? I'm clueless

Either way Chicago is currently MJ's 2nd best streaming song behind billie jean
I normally check at midnight every day and it is updated.

You were right. 100.306.068! Roughly 450 000 streams in a day.

The only logical explanation I have is that I wrote the wrong numbers down to come to my 69 000 figure.
Nevermind I am the biggest idiot in the world. I didn't make any mistake at all I was just confusing heaven can wait with Chicago, no wonder I was all confused. I didn't even do the Escape album yet. My brain is fried and scattered fucking hell :oops:

I rechecked my stats the 69000 figure is definitely for Heaven can wait.

Chicago now has a Canvas artwork that plays when you stream the song on Spotify.

I can't believe they didn't make this song the lead single.

Here are the daily Spotify streaming totals of 3 Jacksons albums from 19/01 till 20/01/2023: Destiny, Triump and Victory.
I'm not posting the totals anymore (time consuming), you can open Spotify and watch them yourself. Just the daily streams.

Blame it on the boogie 134.483
Push me away 502
Things I do for you 735
Shake your body 6414
Destiny 476
Bless his soul 197
All night dancing 383
That's what you get for being polite 1007

Can you feel it 16327
Lovely one 1166
Your ways 341
Everybody 539
Heartbreak hotel 14376
Time waits for no one 520
Walk right now 855
Give It up 438
Wondering who 408

Torture 10.858
Wait 240
One more chance 253
Be not always 122
State of shock 2339
We can change the change the world 94
The hurt 98
Body 329

What can I say these streams are as good as non existent and I firmly believe it is because the songs are credited to the Jacksons and not Michael Jackson despite Michael being the lead singer in most of those tracks. So who listens to these? I don't know perhaps only the absolute die hard fans? Maybe it are some weird people who love the Jacksons but not Michael Jackson? On these 3 albums there are only about 5 tracks that equal Invincible's daily streams and they are already quite low.
I wanna highlight one of my favorites: be not always, it gets played 122 times a day in a world of 8 billion people.
Forgotten music.
All of the Jackson's views and plays are much higher on YouTube for what it's worth. It's easier for the new gen to find out there, in Spotify it seems a bit muffled.

Wow. I am happy to see Chicago is doing so well.

Just listented to it again for the first time in a while. It is catchy and great. MJ's vocals are great. The production is overall great, but the duck sounds?? I could have done without those... :ROFLMAO:

Back