The Michael Jackson effect

Hiker

MJJC Staff
Staff member
Donations
$20.00
Country
Switzerland
I am a "new" fan of Michael Jackson, his music, especially live performances hit me like lightening few weeks ago. As a teenager I had heard some of his most famous like Bad, Beat It, Thriller, but he was just another American performer who sang very fast songs. I am at a really really low point in my life and couple of weeks back some of his songs popped up in my youtube stream. One thing led to another and I was pulled into Michael Jackson's world of music. I used to love to dance but had lost that. I started watching the live concert recordings and before I know it, started dancing again. It lifted my spirits, pulled me out of my deep dark hole. At the same time I learnt more about the person and his untimely death and that causes me lot of grief as if this was someone I knew and miss deeply. I used to spend many nights crying over the sadness in my life, and now I spend those nights watching the concert recordings, smiling, dancing and just feeling joy, interrupted by sadness over his death. Overall, I am grateful that I found this music when I really needed something to pull me out of the sadness that surrounded me. It may sound crazy, but listening to Michael Jackson's songs and watching the performances tells me there is nothing to be sad about, you can just spend our life singing and dancing.

Hi hiker welcome, glad the music has a positive effect on your attitude and life :)

Hiker, you wrote about watching Michael. You said:

" ... smiling, dancing and just feeling joy ... "

It's funny cos just earlier today I was posting a comment about how much I love 'Shout', trying to explain how and why I love it so much. And I mentioned that the song can get me up and dancing (and I am not a get-up-and-dance person at all), it can get me singing along (in my head and, again, that's just not me) and also makes me laugh out loud. After I posted it I thought, 'well, you probably sound like a crazy person so, well done.' You know, especially with the 'laughing out loud' bit. But that really is how that song affects me.

'Shout' is the only Michael song that gets me like that which is interesting because it's far from my favourite. I mean, I don't really have a favourite. I couldn't possibly choose. But if I was going to try to put together, say, my Top 20 Michael songs, Shout wouldn't even be a contender. But I absolutely love it and it has this amazing effect on me. So I really understand what you're saying here. :)

Try watching the HIStory concert, maybe you will get into more dancing. It was the concerts for me, not individual songs.

Mm, I noticed you were talking specifically about watching the shows rather than listening to particular songs but I was just struck by how we were having similar reactions. I just think it's interesting that Michael can do that, inspire quite strong reactions in people. It's not how I usually react when I'm listening to music I love. Generally, I will just disappear inside my head.

It did start with the concerts, but now I have moved to songs too :)

Love to see this!! I am also a new fan of Michael Jackson and I'm having a really similar experience! I stumbled upon some reels on Facebook of his dancing back in January and very quickly became hooked and now I'm just totally obsessed! His music, his performances, and just HIM as a person makes me feel so much joy. I have felt elated just by watching him dance, or seeing videos of him smiling or laughing, and of course, listening constantly to his music. It's crazy because I am in my early 30s and remember him being very famous. But there was so much controversy around him during the times I really started paying attention and that was what I associated with him. I really cannot believe it has taken me this long to fall in love with his music and with him as a human being, because there is just SO much to love.

I am not at all a person who obsesses over celebrities. I love all kinds of musicians and have my favorite artists. I have always reacted strongly to music. But this reaction is on another level. And it seems like this happens a lot to MJ fans! What is it about him?! It's more than just his talent and incredible work. I've never reacted this way to anyone. I can't get enough of him! He makes me so incredibly happy. I never have danced in my life and now I dance all the time! He just makes me feel so in touch with what matters in life - joy, connection, love, creativity, etc. It's wonderful!

But I also want to say I fully relate to the sadness you feel too. I feel so much pain when I think about his death, his final years, and all the things he suffered through. I find it hard to deal with caring so much about a person who was dead so many years before I even paid attention. I feel a sense of guilt for not being a fan while he was alive and not supporting him when people talked badly about him then. I feel bad that he was in so much pain, on so many levels, and had to leave us so early. I feel so sad that he gave the world everything he had and they destroyed him. It's just overwhelmingly sad to me. I try not to focus on his later years or the legal issues, because they break my heart. But his career is intertwined with paint and it's hard to avoid.

Anyway, just so nice to see another "new" fan who is experiencing something so similar to me!

I tell myself, don't be sad that he is gone. Be happy that he was here. Celebrate his life. For 30 long years he did what he loved the most. He left a legacy which will never be erased. With time, rest will go away and we will remember him only for his music and dancing.

Back