The most characteristically (written by) MJ song per album...

limmepie

Proud Member
Hi all,

I am new on the forums, so hi!

I would like to hear from you what you all think is the most characteristically written MJ song per album. Let me first briefly explain what I mean with this vague phrase:

-its written by Michael Jackson (at least the majority of it)
-typically upbeat or a clear distinct beat
-clear chord progression
-somethings undefinable in the vocals, melody or atmosphere

To me the per album on which MJ has song credits:

The Jacksons 1976 - The Style Of Life
Vocally really good, especially the verses. Quality of vocal recordings sucks a bit though.
I'd love to hear these vocals on a mix with 2000s style Jackson beat (such as The Way You Love Me or In The Back).

Going Places 1977 - Just none fits the criteria imo. Also, not a big fan of the album in general.
Do love some of the adlibbing of MJ in the first songs.

Destiny 1978 - Shake Your Body
Typical MJ. Danceable beat, high pitch notes in the vocals here and there. Love it, but he has much better work.

Triumph 1979 - Heartbreak Hotel
This song is great and has so many layers. I like the live tempo a bit better than the album version, but in general: it has an amazing atmosphere strengthened by perfect vocals. There are many more good songs on this album, but yeah, only picking one.

Off the Wall 1979 - Get on the Floor
I am cheating here. Cause I think the bass lines are actually not written by MJ but by Louis Johnson. Strip these, and you retain a meager demo to be honest. Regardless, the total package has it all. Also, I think other people would go pick Working Day and Night, or Don't Stop Til You Get Enough here. I think WDN has a annoying beat with all the percussion in the recording, and DSTYGE does not have a characteristic MJ sound. Its the BeeGees by MJ. (Not saying its a bad song.)

Thriller 1982 - Billie Jean
Perfection. The harmonies, the bass, the guitar, etc. Just perfection.
Don't like the live versions really. Except maybe 1995 mtv awards, but the Slash solo and playback are diminishing it, but the lamp/dance continuation maintains the bass, and the bass is just so good.

Victory 1984 - State of Shock
Best by default, but not really impressed by this song actually.

Bad 1987 - Smooth Criminal
Right up there with Billie Jean. Also, when this song is "translated" into a classical rendition it becomes really clear how good it is. Especially the ad libbing at the end with the high notes. Its insane. I wonder how much studio altering has been performed on the vocals.
This album was Mike's peak writing era.

Dangerous 1992 - Who Is It
Not as good as Billie Jean or Smooth Criminal. But it has a typical chord progression, and very strong bassline. Chorus is a bit lackluster, but the strings and emotion in the verses make up for it a lot.

History 1995 - Stranger in Moscow
Okay, more slower paced, but a very typical MJ beatbox beat. However, it feels like a continuation of Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Who Is It. The tempo is just declining here, but these four together tell a story... Love the strings and melodies in the instruments.

Blood on the Dancefloor 1997 - None
Morphine would only fit the bill. Doesn't fit this genre. I would have choosen Is it Scary if it was solely written by MJ.

Invincible 2001 - None
Tumbleweed passes by. It left me speechless...

Ultimate Collection 2004 - The Way You Love Me
Albeit a lot less good than Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Who Is It and Stranger in Moscow, it has beautiful harmonies. A bit lackluster in bassline and other instrumentals. Sadly to conclude, but clearly MJ was over the peak of his songwriting.

Nonetheless, a playlist with Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Who Is It, Stranger in Moscow and The Way You Love Me lets me to conclude 2 things:
-it follows the emotional state of Michael throughout these eras; from young and carefree to sad, alone, and ultimately hopeful for a better day (which never came)
-he made very good music

Off the Wall - Workin’ Day and Night
autobiographical song about a life without love and full of work
seems like he returned to that subject with Throwing Your Life Away

Last edited:
Ok, let me see.

The Jacksons - Blues Away, not a lot of choice, but this will always be MJ's first song
Destiny - Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground), I guess
Triumph - Can You Feel It, standout from the album
Off the Wall - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough. It has to be.
Thriller - very hard choice between Billie Jean and Beat It
Victory - State of Shock, although I'm not as familiar with this album
Bad - no idea. Smooth Criminal, The Way You Make Me Feel, Bad, or the way I interpret your question, Leave Me Alone
Dangerous - Black or White probably edges out everything else
HIStory - Earth Song, it's a defining MJ song
Blood on the Dancefloor - I dunno. Scream Louder?
Invincible - Privacy is the main song I couldn't imagine anybody else performing.

Back