They Don't Really Care About US: This is It

chris123678

Proud Member
Was this sung live/playback or dubbed?
Some of it sounds different. for instance, toward the end where he has that inaudible line of "Don't you .........." In this is it, it sounded much different and actually appeared to be live was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJ4Cc-99j0

Also, as a side note: I really think TDCA as a song and performance are really underrated. It was an incredible performance on History.

Sounds like there was a bit of everything going on. The background vocals are live, sounds like the verses are mostly mixed between live and playback. I don't think there's overdub going on though. Of course, the ending ad-libs are live.

Also, as a side note: I really think TDCA as a song and performance are really underrated. It was an incredible performance on History.

I hear you! TDCAU is one of those songs that you don't understand how important they are until later. After he died, I was surprised at how often I would listen to it. I had a lot of anger to work through I guess. I don't know about you, but I feel really empowered that nowadays, especially in the past year and some in the US with all the problems we've had, that this song is in heavy rotation. Not on the radio, but in people's lives. I hear it in cars as they drive by. Lots of social media action going on with it, things like that. It is one of his really underrated pieces.

Sounds like there was a bit of everything going on. The background vocals are live, sounds like the verses are mostly mixed between live and playback. I don't think there's overdub going on though. Of course, the ending ad-libs are live.

I hear you! TDCAU is one of those songs that you don't understand how important they are until later. After he died, I was surprised at how often I would listen to it. I had a lot of anger to work through I guess. I don't know about you, but I feel really empowered that nowadays, especially in the past year and some in the US with all the problems we've had, that this song is in heavy rotation. Not on the radio, but in people's lives. I hear it in cars as they drive by. Lots of social media action going on with it, things like that. It is one of his really underrated pieces.

I agree, I think that it's lip-synced until the break and picks up live with "Some things in life...."

The song is finally getting the attention it deserves. I rank it high with the likes of Billie Jean.

I'm pretty sure all of that was dubbed. I've seen TII like 100 times.

It was dubbed. You can tell. There's parts where you can hear his voice and he's not singing. I think he was lip syncing it at rehearsals too, as in the original footage of the rehearsal it's just the album version playing.

Last edited:
It was dubbed. You can tell. There's parts where you can hear his voice and he's not singing. I think he was lip syncing it at rehearsals too, as in the original footage of the rehearsal it's just the album version playing.

I remember reading in anthony's blog that he rehearsed to the munich 1997 audio

I remember reading in anthony's blog that he rehearsed to the munich 1997 audio

I'm pretty sure he said that the 0:22 part was from the Munich concert(you can hear the scream):

That is the original clip. It's a bit different in the final movie.

I remember people in this forums complaining that he was gonna lipsynch some part in this is it, that he rather cancel the tour, that they were dissapointed about him, that he didn't care for his fans, that he was treating his fans like SHIT and all that sort of stuff. This was during the press conference. I remember that so well, because that's when I decided not to register on the forums, because I thought it was full of ignorant ungrateful so-called fans who didn't appreciated MJ to the fullest. Only later on I finally decided to register here, and I'm glad I did, people seem more positive nowadays.

Sorry for going off topic, but the video really touches me. Really painful memories. And I remember that scream at "0:22", because they played it at least 20 times a day on every news channel, and it stayed in my head for a long time. If felt strange, eerie and sad at the same time. Glad to know it was pre-recoded, it soothes the feelings a bit.

His mic was probably on and was singing but they just dubbed it in the movie

I remember people in this forums complaining that he was gonna lipsynch some part in this is it, that he rather cancel the tour, that they were dissapointed about him, that he didn't care for his fans, that he was treating his fans like SHIT and all that sort of stuff. This was during the press conference. I remember that so well, because that's when I decided not to register on the forums, because I thought it was full of ignorant ungrateful so-called fans who didn't appreciated MJ to the fullest. Only later on I finally decided to register here, and I'm glad I did, people seem more positive nowadays.

The fans who were expecting every single song to be sung live had unrealistic expectations. For This Is It, my guess is that when it came to live vocals it would have been like the Dangerous Tour.

While rehearsing he sang live (at least mostly) This is It was at the very least going to be much more live than History tour.. Possibly only They Don't Care About Us and Dangerous playback.. Most was rehearsed live vocals

I think I remember reading that Michael was aware that fans were disappointed with all the lip syncing on HIStory Tour. So for This Is It he wanted to sing live as much as possible.

maybe I just overlooked it but when were fans saying they are unhappy with how much MJ was overdubbing music for This Is It? Cuz from before we even saw This Is It, we knew he was singing majority live..

^ sadly the audio my buddy and I recorded did not come out very clear... But for now that's all we have! I tried retrieving the files and have not found them.. Did anyone save them to cut out my 'looking' time.. It was the last song he rehearsed June18th

Official talks or just rumors that fans came up with? :popcorn:
During the Murray trial, Murray's lawyers requested to see all the raw footage from the This Is It rehearsals that was available (approx 100 hours). One reason Sony cited for not wanting to cooperate that was that the footage was very valuable because of possible use in the future, for instance for anniversary editions. So it is definitely not a fan rumour.

During the Murray trial, Murray's lawyers requested to see all the raw footage from the This Is It rehearsals that was available (approx 100 hours). One reason Sony cited for not wanting to cooperate that was that the footage was very valuable because of possible use in the future, for instance for anniversary editions. So it is definitely not a fan rumour.

Did they specifically say anniversary edition, or merely just possible use of the footage in the future?

Regardless, I have a feeling that there still isn't any real anniversary editions planned out yet, that Sony said it to merely show an instance where this valuable footage could be used by them for profit. After all, it was extremely early to be thinking of an anniversary edition when the trial was taking place, and is still very early right now.

Last edited:
Just to quote the wiki page

"They Don't really Care About Us: Contains samples of "HIStory", "She Drives Me Wild" and "Why You Wanna Trip On Me".
Part of this song was released during the days after Jackson's death; in this version the sample of "HISTORY" is the original with the Great Gate Of Kiev; in the final film version this was changed to a similar piece of music composed by Michael Bearden, the show's musical director. This alteration is due to orchestra copyright issues, but the Great Gate Of Kiev was supposed to have been used. Dubbed vocals."

All though it's wikipedia, and not the most reliable source. I think the part they got wrong is saying the comeplete song was dubben, which it obviously wasn't, and it didn't have to sound exactly like the album version either, they could've used vocals from a Demo, as was the case with Billie Jean.

Did they specifically say anniversary edition, or merely just possible use of the footage in the future?

Regardless, I have a feeling that there still isn't any real anniversary editions planned out yet, that Sony said it to merely show an instance where this valuable footage could be used by them for profit. After all, it was extremely early to be thinking of an anniversary edition when the trial was taking place, and is still very early right now.

They specifically said for anniversary editions. I have included the full article below (it's from TMZ). I don't think they had concrete plans at that time either, but it does not surprise me that they looked at potential future options. Remember that originally some people involved with TII (I think Kenny and/or Travis Payne?) said we would see some of the other songs that were rehearsed on the DVD/BluRay release. I guess that was considered, but that it was then decided to save the footage for some time down the road. I guess the first reasonable chance for that would be at the 10 year mark, but it could just as well take more time than that.

Top Secret MJ Videos Protected by Armed Guards!
6/11/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The last videos of Michael Jacksonwere so top secret, they were transported in an unmarked truck, accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night ... this according to new docs filed in the Conrad Murray manslaughter case.

You ask what Conrad Murray has to do with MJ videos? Well, Dr. Murray wants to see ALL of the rehearsal videos shot for the doomed "This is It" tour. Murray's lawyers believe it could show Michael was in such a frail condition ... there were many reasons for his death other than Propofol.

Murray's lawyers subpoenaed the tapes, but now Sony Pictures -- which has possession of the videos -- is objecting for several reasons. Sony claims there are more than 20 boxes of videos and it would cost $200,000 to log and reproduce all of them.

But in the docs, Sony describes how top secret the videos were to the studio. Sony lawyers say, "When they were transported to the Sony lot in Culver City, the transport in an unmarked truck was accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night."

When the tapes were in an editing bay, security guards were posted outside the door and no Internet access was allowed in the room.

And a Sony honcho also submitted a declaration which says the videos "have a high monetary value inherent in their potential for future uses. Those uses include one or more 'anniversary editions.'"

^ sadly the audio my buddy and I recorded did not come out very clear... But for now that's all we have! I tried retrieving the files and have not found them.. Did anyone save them to cut out my 'looking' time.. It was the last song he rehearsed June18th

Wait... WHAT?! You got the chance to record the audio from outside the building?! Please share your experience with us! How was his vocals on WYBT?

I have those files on my computer. I downloaded them as soon as you uploaded them couple years ago. Would you like for me to upload them?

Please could you?!!!! I can only find a few of them, ones specific to my camera. Well to be honest I had my friends password to his dropbox that had half of the files (which he's changed since then).

Wait... WHAT?! You got the chance to record the audio from outside the building?! Please share your experience with us! How was his vocals on WYBT?

While the recording can't pick up nearly the quality as I heard it, it was amazing.. So amazing that I did not record it (I thought it was pre recorded) until I heard him mess up a couple lyrics... LUCKILY my buddy recorded it!!

while the recording can't pick up nearly the quality as i heard it, it was amazing.. So amazing that i did not record it (i thought it was pre recorded) until i heard him mess up a couple lyrics... Luckily my buddy recorded it!!

omg i need to hear this!!! Please share it with us!

Back