Things That You Believe Weren't Necessary/Didn't Add Value to MJ's Performances

This thread is about all these unnecessary things that did not add value to his performance.

If you are not interested in it, then you should stay away from it.

As you can see, this thread interests a lot many other members here.

I can read. (Can you?) And based on that I think that you are the one that needs an MJ timeout the badest. It helps, trust me.

That's all I could find so far regarding the bug incident.

h5gIMcW.png

These quotes about the bug do not come from the Leipzig HIStory concert, as this excerpt suggests.

These quotes about the bug come actually from a different HIStory concert.

These quotes about the bug do not come from the Leipzig HIStory concert, as this excerpt suggests.

Yes, they do! The magazine simply didn't quote Michael's exact words.

Let's compare the speeches, shall we?

Leipzig (video + audio)

I wanna thank the band, the dancers, the crew and all the technical people who make this empire, this industry that we have here, this giant circus a possibility.
Or should I say...this bow is for you! You know how I feel about you. From the deepest.....from the abyss of my soul, of my heart I say: I thank you and I love you very much! It's a little bug. Could you get...? Wayne? Security? If you get this....but...I don't want...I don't want anybody to step on this! Don't, don't kill it though...don't kill it! Thank you!

Leipzig (King! of Pop magazine):

I love you! This bow is for you! (Thanks the technical crew) I never talked this much!
Oh, there is a bug on stage! I nearly stepped on it. Wayne!
Save the bug! Don't kill it, don't kill it!

Hockenheim (audio):

I always wanted to do that. Have a crowd this way or that way. I love You! Hello!
I'd like to thank my good friend Marcel Avram, for all the concerts. I love you Marcel! I love you! Love you very much!
Oh...what?..what?..oh (laughs) Heeyy! I'd like to thank the crew and everybody involved in the production, who make this empire...this idea...this structure a possibility. The band, make-up, hair, wardrobe, everybody...this bow is for you! Everyone....even though I can't see you....John...Johnny, Wayne. I love you all! You. You, you, you!

Hockenheim (King! of Pop magazine):

I always wanted to do this. First this side and then that side... Hello! I love you more. More. More than more. Most!
(Thanks band and crew) for helping me build this empire. (Thanks Marcel Avram) ''my dear friend''. (Thanks his security) even though I can't see you.

Last edited:
Reading those quotes made me miss Michael little bit more. r.i.p dear. we miss you and love you very much.

Just thought of one, using playback for the entirety of the song only to turn his microphone on after the very end so that you can hear his breathing. Looking at you Stranger in Moscow! :D

The 1999 performances of Dangerous. The woman with the spiky dress and the spoken ''Oh yeah. Just the way it should be'' intro from Michael was really cringy.

One thing I don't think added any value to his performances was when he included a snippet of Smooth Criminal into the performance of Dangerous or when he included a snippet of History during the performance of They Don't Care About Us at the History Tour. I believe you should only include a snippet of song that wasn't performed live. Both SC and History were performed at the History Tour, so what was the point of including a snippet of those two songs during the performance of another song? I like that Michael was going to include a snippet of Another Part of Me during the performance of Jam for This Is It, as he won't going to perform APOM. That made sense.

One thing I don't think added any value to his performances was when he included a snippet of Smooth Criminal into the performance of Dangerous or when he included a snippet of History during the performance of They Don't Care About Us at the History Tour. I believe you should only include a snippet of song that wasn't performed live. Both SC and History were performed at the History Tour, so what was the point of including a snippet of those two songs during the performance of another song? I like that Michael was going to include a snippet of Another Part of Me during the performance of Jam for This Is It, as he won't going to perform APOM. That made sense.
Omg i said this as a child! I remember saying to myself...now as many songs as he doesnt perform....he left sc in the dangerous mix...for the tour. The everyday create your history is ok because it fits perfectly

Omg i said this as a child! I remember saying to myself...now as many songs as he doesnt perform....he left sc in the dangerous mix...for the tour. The everyday create your history is ok because it fits perfectly

I do agree that History snippet fits perfectly into They Don't Care About Us.

The one thing that struck me as most unnecessary (and to be honest, pretty annoying), had to do with Michael grabbing his crotch during dance routines. Yes, I remember his explanation from the Oprah interview, but even after that it seemed he just kept doing it. I kept wanting to tell him, "We get it, you're a man, the equipment's still there, give it up already." That's one reason why I don't care for the longer form of the "Black or White" short film.

The descending bridge that messed up his back.

Putting the tragedy of that aside the bridge really didn't add anything to the performance. Michael would have been better off using the cherry picker or just not using anything at all.

The 1999 performances of Dangerous. The woman with the spiky dress and the spoken ''Oh yeah. Just the way it should be'' intro from Michael was really cringy.

When I at first heard the "oh yeah" I thought Duffman was gonna entering the stage :D

analogue;4291864 said:
Putting the tragedy of that aside the bridge really didn't add anything to the performance. Michael would have been better off using the cherry picker or just not using anything at all.

We have to keep in mind that this bridge (that he used during ‘Earth Song’) carried a symbolic meaning because it symbolized the border between North and South Korea.

If he used the cherry picker or if he just did not use anything at all, then he would not have conveyed that symbolic meaning that he wanted to get across with the use of that bridge.

That is why, that live segment of his performance is called the ‘Bridge Of No Return’ because that bridge that he used on stage referred to the actual bridge located between North and South Korea for repatriation of prisoners of war (once prisoners chose to cross the actual ‘Bridge Of No Return’, then they would never be allowed to return, even if they later changed their minds).

So, in that regard, I believe that this bridge that he used on stage was a thing that can be considered a necessary addition for that on stage performance and the messages of that performance.

What I don't like was the dancers holding fake mics and pretending singing along with MJ, especially during D.S. and Black or White.

They also did this during WBSS and J5 medley, but I appreciate that, because there were live backup vocals during the performance, so the dancers miming to the backup singers don't seem weird. Also, that's how those songs were performed when he was with his brothers, although they were singing live, but that's his "old-fashioned way", I get that.

Michael actually told the dancers to "mouth it" during Dangerous of DWT rehearsal, I get that as well, those "Dangerous" were supposed to be sort of a "call and response" effect.

I don't like the backup singers mime to MJ's vocals either, I mean why don't you just turn their mics on while playing the playback, just like in BWT (later 88-89) and DWT? They did this in the first several HWT concerts during the first 1 or 2 lines of Stranger in Moscow, but the mics were turned off after that, and the rest of the song were completely lip-synched.

The cherry picker that was used for Beat It during every single tour. It got tedious and repetitive and I don't think it added anything to the performance.

The cherry picker that was used for Beat It during every single tour. It got tedious and repetitive and I don't think it added anything to the performance.

I know what you're saying, in terms of watching these concerts on video, but I think the cherry picker was meant to be an experience for the live audience. I can imagine that if I had been there, it would have been wonderful to see Michael soaring above me during that part of the song. Earth Song, too, on other tours.

mj_frenzy;4291867 said:
We have to keep in mind that this bridge (that he used during ‘Earth Song’) carried a symbolic meaning because it symbolized the border between North and South Korea.

If he used the cherry picker or if he just did not use anything at all, then he would not have conveyed that symbolic meaning that he wanted to get across with the use of that bridge.

That is why, that live segment of his performance is called the ‘Bridge Of No Return’ because that bridge that he used on stage referred to the actual bridge located between North and South Korea for repatriation of prisoners of war (once prisoners chose to cross the actual ‘Bridge Of No Return’, then they would never be allowed to return, even if they later changed their minds).

So, in that regard, I believe that this bridge that he used on stage was a thing that can be considered a necessary addition for that on stage performance and the messages of that performance.

I agree with you completely. Some people just don't realise or understand the intention behind many of the things Michael chose to do for concert performances and short films. That is a great shame, for sure.

Back