This is a frequently debated topic, was it Michael's singing ability or dancing ability that made him so popular?

Here’s another interesting question, would MJ have been as popular as he was if instead of having his characteristically light, countertenor voice, he had a characteristically deep, bass one instead?

Here’s another interesting question, would MJ have been as popular as he was if instead of having his characteristically light, countertenor voice, he had a characteristically deep, bass one instead?
I am, so yeah lol.

I'll throw a curveball and say that Michael could have had the best voice and dancing ever known to man BUT........ without hit songs he was nothing.

The man released banger after banger that were instant classics.

If you remove the dancing elements you're still left with the voice and great songs . Visually they would not be th same though.

I'm gonna revive this thread. Shocker, maybe, ehh

MJs voice as a child was flawless. Absolutely flawless. It's actually incredible how good he was. Literally his first songs, the first songs we essentially heard him doing this, is essentially perfect and he didn't have to change a NAM THING. And you can't GET ENOUGH OF IT.

Even before I Want You Back, a song like Big Boy, Wow. An 8 year old child. Precocious and yet fully possessed of all that talent. Truly staggering.

And then you hear him branching out, doing other things, it's just as impressive.

Like, this sounds so good. So good.

So really, it's kinda just, logical, sad to say, that he had peaked so early that it was just inevitable it'd go down. It really didn't though, he had just changed so much by 40 that he was essentially a different artist. If he always sounded "recognizable", people would probably say he was always good. I prefer him changing, and vocally he knew exactly what he was doing still. But really, man, his voice was so special early on.

So my pick is his voice was it. But as a young man. As he got older, of course his dancing just improved by leaps and bounds, that is incredible in the exact same manner, just for different reasons.

As he got older, of course his dancing just improved by leaps and bounds, that is incredible in the exact same manner, just for different reasons.
I don’t think his dancing improved, it just branched out like his singing did but his feeling for rhythm was already impeccable from that same early age. When you are able to replicate James Brown aged 10, then you can dance.
Look at the first 15 seconds here, unfortunately the cam cuts away but the glimpses we got were great

Lots of good moves here too

I think Michael is known less for his singing ability than his songs. When people think of vocallists, only the most ardent fans really think of Michael Jackson, despite the fact he had incredible range and versatility. I think his singing chops are vastly underrated by the general public. Everyone knows he can dance though. But what made Michael particularly unique at the time was his ability to do both - sing, dance, perform, write and produce music. There wasn't anything he couldn't do. He was a swiss army knife of music, effortlessly traversing genres that had never been mixed and matched before. The things Michael did in his time were groundbreaking and he really set the blueprint for the artists of today and he never truly gets the credit he deserves for it.

So I'd say he's known for his songs and dancing ability. His singing voice and impact on pop culture remain criminally underrated.

I don’t think his dancing improved, it just branched out like his singing did but his feeling for rhythm was already impeccable from that same early age. When you are able to replicate James Brown aged 10, then you can dance.
Look at the first 15 seconds here, unfortunately the cam cuts away but the glimpses we got were great

Lots of good moves here too
Yeah I agree with that. The reason I say it improved is because he made it look so easy. Truly so easy, yet everything was so complex. And he made simple moves look so advanced and noteworthy.

He embraced hip hop moves early on so naturally he also went in that direction more anyway.

Like look at this, incredible

In the 90s. His robot only got better and better.

I'm probably not the most sane person here when it comes to him, but for me neither of those things are why I was drawn to him. He has an air of magic around him that maybe his singing and dancing added to, perhaps. So I would say charisma and enthusiasm / dedication to his work. I've heard so many people say recently that they were blown away by the way he sang songs as a child with the emotion of someone way beyond his years, and danced with so much energy and enthusiasm...sure there's skill there but I think that it's the fact that he is able to be a conduit for music - perhaps because of his sensitive nature - that makes people just feel in awe of him.

I'm admittedly a little crazy about him (sorry for ableist language - I genuinely feel my ability to think rationally slip away whenever I think about him or even see his face, which is why I use the word) so maybe that's why the answer is this foggy, mystical reason rooted in emotions. I just think it's his charisma, his energy, and his ability to basically be music are the biggest contributions to his fame - even if the other things definitely help ^_^!

Back