This Is It costumes: Cool or Tacky?

I really liked all the outfits, they were all cool and the WBSS and Billie Jean outfits look super futuristic and ahead of it's time. The Black Or White jacket probably would've slowed Michael down, especially in his condition, it wouldn't be such a safe jacket for him to wear. The Heal The World jacket is just a masterpiece, no other words needed. Man In The Mirror is eh, it's both cool yet not much compared to other stuff we got. I'd say change the color of the Thriller jacket because the blood is kinda hard to notice. However this is just my personal opinion.

Mike's has been kinda tacky since the 97's but his performance clothes have always been tacky but appropiate. The costumes for THIS IS IT except for the J5 medley suit, I personally think, were not good at all. I was really dissapointed on them. They're really tacky.

The WBSS costume have a removable shoulders. MJ would remove them after he get out of light man.

Given what we've seen of the costumes, I think Mike would have had them altered to make them lighter and more agile or had Michael Bush make some new stuff for the tour.
A lot of the jackets look more like stuff you'd wear in an interview or press conference than on stage
The Thriller jacket, J5 medley suit and Billie Jean costume were cool though. I always thought it would have been great if they would have kept the lights in the Billie Jean jacket hidden until Mike points before the Moonwalk, that truly would have been magic. Like a bolt of lightning comes out of his glove

It was have been awesome to see Michael were the full Smooth Criminal costume on stage.

I just noticed that Michael used the Dangerous Tour Heal the World jacket at the rehearsals. Can't believe that I didn't notice it before:

y5FJaFe.png

* Opening outfit: I like the concept, but the execution doesn't fit right to me. Especially the size of the shoulder pieces, too over the top.
* Black or White: jacket was cool but way too large/heavy for that performance... Would have been nice for a public event or other.
* Man In the Mirror: I like the concept of the hidden gems but that ain't no Man in The Mirror outfit to me.
* Thriller outfit was great: I love the patterns on the side being blood dripples and the hidden
* Motown Medley: Not bad but I think if they're going to make a full outfit for that segment, it might as well have a 70's vibe to play w/ the theme.
* Heal The World: Great concept but I'm accustomed to the flowy look during HTW, BOW, MITM. It would be a great We Are the World jacket.
* Smooth Criminal: Would have been cool to see him in the full Smooth Criminal outfit on stage for the first time.
* Billie Jean: Still undecided, it looked good, the lighting idea was great, but the performance is so iconic I ask would it mess with that? Also, the way the lighting was displayed, it should only be white light, keeping the Billie Jean spotlight black/white theme.

Just my opinion!

I don't think we ever saw the Beat It Jacket that was going to be used, I would have liked to see what the idea was for that. Also, when MJ said "let it burn and the lights out." Was the jacket going to literally set on fire? lol That would have been cool!

With Dangerous new feel and theme, I would have liked to see what MJ would have worn.

I just noticed that Michael used the Dangerous Tour Heal the World jacket at the rehearsals. Can't believe that I didn't notice it before:

y5FJaFe.png
Nice observation, I thought he'd get rid of every outfit he worn after wearing it for a few times.

I don't think we ever saw the Beat It Jacket that was going to be used, I would have liked to see what the idea was for that. Also, when MJ said "let it burn and the lights out." Was the jacket going to literally set on fire? lol That would have been cool!

With Dangerous new feel and theme, I would have liked to see what MJ would have worn.
The plan was to set it on fire. I think they mentioned that it was made from material was easy to set on fire.

This might be the Dangerous outfit:
Hz1MVcN_d.webp

I'm not sure if I like that. Would have been great if it was the same as before but with green shirt under the jacket. The stage lights and screen were green.

Most of the costumes that were planned for This Is It, we're unsuitable for live performance, especially given the weight of them. I'd say most wouldn't have been used or would have been severely altered

But then again in concept, who would have thought Michael wearing a yellow fencing/leotard for the Dangerous Tour would become iconic

At approx 5m 23s Michael Bush talks about the plans for the Beat It jacket to burst into flames on TII.

As far as I know michael bush wasn't the only designer for the this is it costumes he sure found some to be too elaborate he always wanted to make it easy for michael

Personally I find some of the designs a bit tacky. Some were quite cool but I just couldn't see MJ jumping about stage, sweating etc wearing them.

They did not seem built with their intended use in mind. I guess that's why MJ asked Michael Bush to come up with some alternatives just in case.

The plan was to set it on fire. I think they mentioned that it was made from material was easy to set on fire.

This might be the Dangerous outfit:
Hz1MVcN_d.webp

I'm not sure if I like that. Would have been great if it was the same as before but with green shirt under the jacket. The stage lights and screen were green.
You may be right, it does look like a something that could be for Dangerous. I would have loved to see Dangerous with the Morphine sound effects, green lighting and all the new details they changed up. I personally don't mind this outfit actually... Of course no face mask thought, that would be stupid. lol

I think Zaldy was an awful designer & didn't understand Michael or how he moved at all.

They were so unbelievably tacky and impractical. None of them were ready either.

I think Bush would've ended up doing most of the costumes. Zaldy's only good design was the light up Billie Jean outfit.

Thriller - As simple as it was, Zaldy's best outfit by FAAARRRRR was Thriller, that was a really neat take on a classic with the round neck, blood spill and inside werewolf - Simple and effective

WBSS/JAM/HN was fantastic to look at but possibly unpractical (I always visions MJ taking off the shoulder pads much like the helmet on History Tout)

BOW - Again, cool idea but unpractical

J5 Medley - Decent

MITM - Meh, would have been better undone and used for something like IJCSLY

Heal The World - Second best but again too heavy, would have been un-practical, but loved the idea of patterns etc from across the world

Billie Jean - This was neat as well, and practical

Beat It - Again the Kevlar probably would have made it quite heavy, but cool concept - I like the idea of MJ using thr Black Beat It from 30th Anniversary that was cool

Also too many shoes, MJ wore the same loafer throughout not just the night, but most of the tour if I'm correct

if i don't make mistakes this was one of the jacket planned to be used for the shows:

if i don't make mistakes this was one of the jacket planned to be used for the shows:
Yes, that jacket was gonna be used for IJCSLY and there was a shirt he wore on june 23rd that was gonna be used for TWYMMF.

The white shirt he wears at 1:52 was also a backup shirt for Black Or White

Last edited:
If you listen carefully at 0:05, in the background, you can hear Michael singing Will You Be There live.
Yeah i remember that, pretty cool even if the audio it's sourced from the videocamera feed, not pro source but still nice to listen

Back