Thriller 40 Disc 2 - POSITIVE ONLY Thread

staywild23

Premium Member
Country
United-States
Ok, before people get angry at me about the "positive only" part of the title, this is NOT my effort to ignore the issues people have identified with Thriller 40. Many are legitimate and I'm not denying that. But look, life is hard. I just love Michael Jackson and want to celebrate and be happy. There are several threads that already exist to discuss all the flaws and issues (as well as the good, ofc), so I think it'd be nice to have a thread focused *specifically* on what we are loving about it! Some of us may need that in our lives right now. Is this a total utopian fantasy? Maybe. But let's try it!

Please, don't come for me for wanting something nice lol.

Ok, so now that I got that out of the way...

I waited up to listen to Thriller 40 as soon as it dropped and I am freaking out with how in love I am with disc 2! Some context - I've only been a fan since January, but I'm obsessed and I know almost his entire discography, except the Michael album. I have NOT however explored almost any of the unheard stuff, so the only songs I knew going into this were Carousel (which I adore), Got the Hots (which I had heard maybe once?) and Can't Get Out of the Rain (which I had only heard twice before but, yes, loved lol). So this was basically all brand new music for me...

And wow! I'm in love with almost every song on the track list. Here are the highlights for me after one initial listening:

-Got the Hots -- like a GD party and I love it
-Who Do You Know -- OMG 😍 😍 😍 This is an incredible song and should definitely be a single! oh my heart!
-Behind the Mask -- This song is WILD and so interesting! I felt like I was on some kind of mystical journey. It's so unique and I find his vocals sexy in it (duh)
-The Toy -- Michael!!! 😍 😍 😍 My heart was fluttering like a mad woman.
-What a Lovely Way to Go -- it's rough but my God it is so cool... it reminds me of Elton John or The Beatles, or something. Idk, it is such an interesting vibe though! The beatboxing is cool AF... I seriously hope they rework this a bit for a studio release!
-She's Trouble -- Had me screaming into my pillow at 1am!!

Whew... ok, that's a lot of emotion.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some of the positive reactions from other people :)

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread! I for one an excited about the release. It's the first after I became a fan, I am excited about the new songs that I have not heard before and my untrained ears cannot understand all the nuances, so I am ok with quality.

Can I got a bit off topic and say I am LOVING BeatIt 4k!!!

Thank you for starting this thread!
You can always count on me for this kind of thing 😊

I for one an excited about the release. It's the first after I became a fan, I am excited about the new songs that I have not heard before and my untrained ears cannot understand all the nuances, so I am ok with quality.
Me too!!!!!

Also, I have loved Bob Dylan's bootleg series for years and there is some CRAZY quality on those songs and I don't care. I love it lol.

Can I got a bit off topic and say I am LOVING BeatIt 4k!!!
YESS!!! I watched it two nights ago and lost my mind! I was smiling so hard.

Thriller and Beat It 4K looking amazing and i like "Who Do You Know", "She's Trouble" in HQ and the "Behind The Mask" Demo!
yess! Oh, I agree on all!!!

What's super cool too is "Who Do You Know" is trending on Twitter and has been for hours! I think this one might be the breakout hit from the track list :)

Ok, I already said this in my original post, but I'm beyond obsessed with What a Lovely Way to Go. I think Michael might do Elton John vibes better than Elton John himself!

Great thread and a wonderful break from the constant negativity! I listened to it this morning and really enjoyed it. ‘Who do you know’ ‘she’s trouble’ behind the mask’ and ‘what a lovely way to go’ are my faves. Plus Thriller in 4K is superb!Happy fan here!

I have only listened to (a large part of) CD2 on Deezer so far. I guess I will still have to wait a few days for the CD, considering purchasing the Hi-Res version on Qobuz just so I have the full thing (though sometimes, you get good or weird mastering surprises on Qobuz ... or on any digital platform I think). Also waiting to received MoFi versions.

I noticed some facts that make CD2 more interesting than I expected (this is not an exhaustive list) :
- The sound of Carousel actually sounds more like the "demo/leak" version that I had on tape back then (before Thriller 2001), someone told me it's a tape rip, but of a quality tape)
- Can't Get Outta The Rain has the sound of it's early vinyl releases.
- In both previous cases I find it interesting that they made official releases of these "old school" sounds rather than the remastered versions that we already have from the 2000s releases.
- What A Lovely Way To Go : I usually find it interesting to hear Michael in a style that we're not used to hear.

In the end (though it's still a first impression), considering this CD2 as a demo compilation rather than a new big hits album, I find it to be quite an honest release. I just wish they had included more or the missing known demos and both versions of Someone In The Dark since I guess that there is time left on both CDs.

The sound of Carousel actually sound more like the "demo/leak" version that I have back then on tape (before Thriller 2001)
just wondering what other songs are on that tape of yours. does it contain a good quality version of Slapstick by chance?

just wondering what other songs are on that tape of yours. does it contain a good quality version of Slapstick by chance?

I don't think that tape exists anymore and my memories about tapes are extremely hazy. But there was nothing that can't be found in better quality nowadays.
There was no Slapstick: 100% sure.
I remember Carousel and When You Wish Upon A Star (which is not a leak and sounded so bad quality-wise that I thought it was a more recent live performance but poorly recorded) ... and "maybe" things like She's Trouble and/or Hot Streets

wooooooooooooow Can´t get Out The Rain is soooo fabolous....is this positive enough for u?

Behind The Mask has such a incredible high definition sound woooow this crystal clear voice OMG

Who do You know is 100% untouched the Drum Machine added MJ back in time there

Sunset Driver is not from off the wall its such a Thriller Song

What A lovely Way to Go is 100% not from Destiny / Triumph i can´t hear La Toya and Randy wooooow omg what a fabolous ending

Im So happy that i have after 8 Years this incedible Release after supporting Michael through LN and after this hard time during the Pandemie THANKKKKKK YOU SOOOO MUCH JOHN BRANCA

Last edited:
would be great if you simply post your positive comments in the general thread. discussions always consist of positive and negative comments. we do not need one negative and one positive thread... thanks.

The instrumental for Who Do You Know sounds like something straight out of Animal Crossing.

Great thread and a wonderful break from the constant negativity!
Well it didn't last very long, but I'm glad at least someone enjoyed it...

I listened to it this morning and really enjoyed it. ‘Who do you know’ ‘she’s trouble’ behind the mask’ and ‘what a lovely way to go’ are my faves. Plus Thriller in 4K is superb!Happy fan here!
I'm so glad!! I feel much the same! 😊

wooooooooooooow Can´t get Out The Rain is soooo fabolous....is this positive enough for u?

Behind The Mask has such a incredible high definition sound woooow this crystal clear voice OMG

Who do You know is 100% untouched the Drum Machine added MJ back in time there

Sunset Driver is not from off the wall its such a Thriller Song

What A lovely Way to Go is 100% not from Destiny / Triumph i can´t hear La Toya and Randy wooooow omg what a fabolous ending

Im So happy that i have after 8 Years this incedible Release after supporting Michael through LN and after this hard time during the Pandemie THANKKKKKK YOU SOOOO MUCH JOHN BRANCA
well, the drum machine sound existed back then, just in case you didn't know.

would be great if you simply post your positive comments in the general thread. discussions always consist of positive and negative comments. we do not need one negative and one positive thread... thanks.
I am with staywild here, we kind of do. The common thread gets too negative. I am going to actively move negative comments to other thread and keep this focused on positivity. It is hard to draw line between raising eyebrow, constructive criticism and outright negativity, so here let's err on the side of positivity :)

Splitting fan bases resulting from creations of threads for negative or positive emotions only is imo not the best solution. Anyway, I am overall positive about the project, but of course there are points of critizism.

Feel free to join the general audience in the main thread, or have a nice positive-only thread, see you! :D

Oh, I just noticed the little sounds (crying?) at the end of Who Do You Know. Wonder what that's about!

Splitting fan bases resulting from creations of threads for negative or positive emotions only is imo not the best solution. Anyway, I am overall positive about the project, but of course there are points of critizism.

Yes, I find this very odd, indeed.

I definitely understand what you're saying. It is not at all my intention for this to be "splitting" the fandom though. As I said in my post, this isn't at all to ignore that there are legitimate criticisms to be made of the project. But it's come up in the chat, and some other threads, that the constant barrage of negativity on the main threads is really depressing for a portion of us. For me, personally, this is my first MJ release as a fan and I am extremely excited about it. But I had to totally stop looking at the threads to remain so, because (at least the last time I looked about a week ago) the overall opinion seemed to be that it's an awful release and no one should be excited about it. That's the way it comes across, at least. So I thought creating a space dedicated to just celebrating it would be nice. This doesn't mean we might not have things we dislike about the project. But if people want to visit a space that's just a breath of fresh air they could and there doesn't have to be any judgment about if they are allowed to like a song or not. That was my intention at least.

Either way, this wasn't that effective anyway, so I'm not really sure why I bothered.

Hey guys, this is not ok. What is your problem if some of us just want to have a safe positive place on the forum. You have 5 other threads to have a free discussion. No one is restricting those discussions. For all practical purposes you can just ignore this thread and it will not cramp your style.

PS: @SmoothGangsta @MJ5 your criticism is read and acknowledged, there is still a need for positivity. So I am going to cleanup and refocus this thread. Hopefully this does not bother you too much.

Who do you know?
Not that I don't like it, but it's just a demo that can't compare to She's Trouble in terms of polishing and quality. The solution would be to release a box set full of demos from all eras rather than few on a Thriller re-issue which doesn't contain The Lady In My Life full version, Niteline and Hot Street.

Back