Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

If I'm honest, I've not heard a song from the Thriller sessions that would have been strong enough to get on Thriller or fit the mood of the record overall.
Got The Hots might be the only one that could've stood next to the songs on Thriller.....the rest would've fit Starlight since it felt a bit safer in terms of material

When I listen to the outtakes they just sound a bit unpolished and lacking a real hook that makes you want to listen again. Maybe if there's a Westlake version of Behind The Mask?

The material available, didn't seem as strong as for Bad, Dangerous or Invincible.

GTH has something that I like about it, but then the rest of the song is just not that great. Doesn't go anywhere.

GTH has something that I like about it, but then the rest of the song is just not that great. Doesn't go anywhere.
I've always had a soft spot for it. It's the chorus. It just makes you feel nostalgic. Most of these outtakes have that effect. Carousel, Got The Hogs, and Hot Street.

I personally say Behind The Mask would've easily fit right after WBSS. It's got the most verve of all the outtakes. In fact, for me, it's way easier to see how Thrillers outtakes could've made it than most of Bad's or really any of Dangerous'. Streetwalker, maybe, just maybe. But I prefer APOM. And Someone Put Your Hand Out, well, that's not even an outtake, as far as I'm concerned, it's a bonus track.

I've always had a soft spot for it. It's the chorus. It just makes you feel nostalgic. Most of these outtakes have that effect. Carousel, Got The Hogs, and Hot Street.

I personally say Behind The Mask would've easily fit right after WBSS. It's got the most verve of all the outtakes. In fact, for me, it's way easier to see how Thrillers outtakes could've made it than most of Bad's or really any of Dangerous'. Streetwalker, maybe, just maybe. But I prefer APOM. And Someone Put Your Hand Out, well, that's not even an outtake, as far as I'm concerned, it's a bonus track.
Yep, it's gotta be the most annoying and hard to find bonus track of any album though lmao

I think the Thriller outtakes have been largely uninteresting and plain. “Sunset Driver” and “Who Do You Know” are the only two that genuinely grab my attention.
Hot Street, Carousel and She's Trouble are better imo.

I think the Thriller outtakes have been largely uninteresting and plain. “Sunset Driver” and “Who Do You Know” are the only two that genuinely grab my attention.
I think they would’ve fit the feel of Starlight along with the original cover and track list. I wouldn’t put one of the outtakes on the 1982 version and feel it would compliment the album.

Original cover?
According to Dick Zimmerman, this was the alternate cover to Thriller. I can look at this and picture Hot Street or Carousel on the track list

DQB-zmw-VAAEZq-Vs.jpg

Crazy to me that this was almost the cover lol, it’s absolutely terrible.
As an album cover, it's terrible. As his profile picture on Twitter, it'd be fire.

It doesn't fit the Quincy Jones Trilogy at all though. I like this picture more than his intended Bad album cover.

Back