Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

They never made the cut and were "poor" but all 3 of those songs were on the list of what MJ wanted to finish while "Loving You" sat collecting tape warp for 24+ years... Crazy.
Why didn't the Estate do the sensible thing and simply bake the tapes? It's like they don't even know they're destroying MJ's archive by not taking care of it properly.

Why didn't the Estate do the sensible thing and simply bake the tapes? It's like they don't even know they're destroying MJ's archive by not taking care of it properly.
I didn't know that was a thing until now. But I'm not in charge of the estate at least.

Also, why didn't MJ bake the tapes?

well.. the stripes on the pictures are from the scanner the person used to scan the booklet artwork.. but it still looks like VHS pics...

Im so frustrated what is this for a quality? Behind the mask is like they found a fishermen’s price cassette from Paris … holy shit by the way I heard the cd 2 complete in lossless… they cut also lonely way

I spent some time reading through all the comments here and I just feel let down about it. I looked forward to this release enormously but if it is handled as badly as you all say it is (and I believe it because you have technical knowledge that I don’t possess) then I will simply not be spending any cash on this release. I will listen to it on Spotify.
I read the notes in the booklet, they don’t add any information that is interesting, it features mistakes and it all feels very amateur.

I am now part of the anti Estate camp. This just seems thrown together without thought and effort, it is hard to get excited for future releases now unless they do the only sensible thing which is releasing big anthology like box sets.
What they’re doing now is just pointless.

My excitement is pretty much gone altogether 😱

WTF? Are those pics taken off TV while a vhs cassette was paused?

Okay, I like that they directly recreated the font and layout from the original pressing. I also adore the black and white photo of MJ and Ola Ray, and the photos of MJ and Vincent. Charming as all hell.

Other than that, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???? This literally looks like it was done in Microsoft Paint.

I will listen to it on Spotify.
That's what I would recommend, just listening on Spotify. I never recommended any other bit of hype.

Tbh, in general I think MJ fatigue has made it so we all have to be careful to maintain our excitement. For the 90% of people who don't know MJ this project will be eye-opening.

I'm happy to say Sunset Driver sounds way better.

It's nothing new or exciting contained with it's inclusion, but the mastering is way better. That 2004 version was so COMPRESSED, listening just made my ears want to pop. The volume is way better now. And it's still super groovy, like unfathomably funky. Would love to hear more versions of it.

Last edited:
I spent some time reading through all the comments here and I just feel let down about it.
I'm also struggling. I was all set to buy the CD since I don't do digital. I usually wanna make my own decisions about something. I love to read album reviews, for example, but not to help me decide if I want to buy it. But the discussions here are really making me wonder what I should do now.

I looked forward to this release enormously but if it is handled as badly as you all say it is (and I believe it because you have technical knowledge that I don’t possess)
Exactly. As a piece of art, I can decide for myself. But there seem to be multiple technical things going on here which are beyond my knowledge base but I feel the info here seems trustworthy. It sounds like they messed up.

then I will simply not be spending any cash on this release. I will listen to it on Spotify.
I read the notes in the booklet, they don’t add any information that is interesting, it features mistakes and it all feels very amateur.
And that's no good to me. Mistakes? Really?

I tend to be a bit detached from various aspects of Michael's career so there are some gaps in my knowledge. I don't know every last little thing. So I don't want to be misled by official products. I need to know I'm being given accurate info. From the estate that is entrusted to look after Michael's legacy, that is the least I would expect.

Mistakes? wth?

I am now part of the anti Estate camp. This just seems thrown together without thought and effort,
It is beginning to sound like that to me. And I was completely on board for this thing. Maybe I still am. But I'm wavering now.

it is hard to get excited for future releases now unless they do the only sensible thing which is releasing big anthology like box sets.
I'd be up for this. If it was done properly and with no mistakes. I'll say that again, IF it's done properly.

🙁

I am feeling proper deflated. Not sure where I go from here. I'll have to see what I want to do about this. Belting into HMV on Friday is beginning to look unlikely. I was so looking forward to doing that.

I am now part of the anti Estate camp. This just seems thrown together without thought and effort, it is hard to get excited for future releases now unless they do the only sensible thing which is releasing big anthology like box sets.

Welcome! I promise it's pretty fun down here... 🥲 I swear I'm trying hard to appreciate the efforts of the Estate but the frustration is always inevitable.

That's what I would recommend, just listening on Spotify. I never recommended any other bit of hype.

Tbh, in general I think MJ fatigue has made it so we all have to be careful to maintain our excitement. For the 90% of people who don't know MJ this project will be eye-opening.
You see, I don't have MJ fatigue. And I'm still willing to give this thing a chance. But maybe I'll listen online before I buy - something I would normally never do. I was all ready to go for it on Friday. Now I feel wary.

Back