Thriller 40th Anniversary

That logo is fucking atrocious. Jesus.

Having said that, I'm mildly tempted by this. Will have to see exactly what the new content is.

the logo and font are just disheartening and sad. my second worry is that the second disc is only demos of the songs on the album or songs that we’ve gotten through thriller 25. i wish there was something we could do to help make a change for the cover

If they release a song we've already heard I hope it's Hot Street, it's the best outtake from the album IMO and it deserves an official release.

Not happy yet another re-packaged Thriller edition is coming out, especially since they ignored Off The Wall, Dangerous and HIStory for their milestone anniversaries.

That said, as long as the "never before heard" tracks that come with this are not contemporized too badly, (IE Xscape, A Place With No Name..) I'll be happy. If they want to contemporize it and it's fitting like they did to Love Never Felt So Good, I'm ok with that.

And hopefully, the MJ/Freddie Mercury songs (State Of Shock, original version of There Must Be More To Life Than This, and hopefully Victory) are on here too...even though TECHNICALLY, S.O.S was released between Thriller and Bad....but still....one can wish.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to listen to new interviews of the shopkeeper 2 blocks away from the recording studio and the student who then worked at the local McDonalds. I’m also ecstatic for the 20 seconds release of the original demo of behind the mask and a newly recorded duet with Justin Bieber which features backing vocals of MJ singing in the shower. Last but not least the chalk with the new logo is making me salivate like a hungry dog looking at a bone.

No really I really am excited, high five and fingers crossed people!

I can’t wait to listen to new interviews of the shopkeeper 2 blocks away from the recording studio and the student who then worked at the local McDonalds. I’m also ecstatic for the 20 seconds release of the original demo of behind the mask and a newly recorded duet with Justin Bieber which features backing vocals of MJ singing in the shower. Last but not least the chalk with the new logo is making me salivate like a hungry dog looking at a bone.

No really I really am excited, high five and fingers crossed people!
Now now, let's not be so sarcastic. At least they are doing something. Back in April we thought it was a joke. If they produce something decent and do good publicity this could be good for bringing some new fans.
I am excited to hear unreleased stuff from Thriller era. I know the fans here have heard everything from leaked sources like a 100 times, but the 10 of you are not their main audience :)
I just hope they don't start remixing to 'match' the current music, but again if their marketing says that will sell more (like that sped up heaven can wait on tiktok 😕) I would understand. It's a business, not something run by fans just for love for the artist.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m not that great with photoshop. But I wanted to show my take on a Thriller album cover. So here it is! 😊👇 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Thriller40?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Thriller40</a> <a href="https://t.co/bmzkLGVLqP">pic.twitter.com/bmzkLGVLqP</a></p>&mdash; 𝗩𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 ⚡️ (@Flaazh_) <a href=" ">May 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rumour: Bad40 is also in the works for a scheduled 2027 release

1APL3Hn.png

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m not that great with photoshop. But I wanted to show my take on a Thriller album cover. So here it is! 😊👇 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Thriller40?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Thriller40</a> <a href="https://t.co/bmzkLGVLqP">pic.twitter.com/bmzkLGVLqP</a></p>&mdash; 𝗩𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 ⚡️ (@Flaazh_) <a href=" ">May 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I like this. It's classy. And the luminous gold is beautiful, kind of goes with his radiant eyes. This is gorgeous. Love it.

Last edited:
Sorry but let's put it this way we are getting something! Not just something a full disk of unreleased music and demos in full HD or better quality! Plus maybe this will spawn the full release of thriller 3d/4k! Plus short films , plus concerts, plus promotion as in artists of today and greats honouring him! How it should be because the bottom line is the world is missing Michael Jackson The Only King of Pop! Plus this will kick-start all specials and of course the bio epic!

Apart from the font I am a little exited after all.

Disc 2 could be great. I hope for new demoes, great out-takes and surprises. Many of the songs on BAD25 was totally unheard of and very surprising. - Hopefully we will be happily surprised again.

BAD got a doc by Spike Lee
OTW got a doc by Spike Lee

I would say that Thriller - the best selling album of all time - and probably the most important album released in modern music history deserves a 2-hour in depth documentary too. - Not by Spike Lee this time. A new director would be fine. - And then hopefully lots of studio footage, live in concert material etc. Would be great. - And it should include the years after the release to show the impact it had and how MJ became the biggest star the world has ever seen. - Never to be surpassed I think.

Still hope for a Jacksons concert, The making of Thriller and all the music videos in 4K.

Lets give the Estate/Sony a chance this will not just be a fan based success or failure!This will be a huge release it's the number one album of all time and with this release it could go on to be unreachable for anyone else.

So I have some theories:

In the most recent episode of the MJ Cast, they interviewed the director of Sonic Fantasy. They were asking him about why certain people weren’t interviewed for his doc about Bruce Swedien and Thriller, such as Quincy Jones and Siedah Garret, as well as some others I can’t remember. And he said that he *did* either interview them, or have plans for interviews, but then several people had to withdraw. They asked him why and if it was because of LN (since he was producing the doc in 2019) and he said firmly that it was not and that he signed an NDA and could not share any details about it. He also mentioned several times how his documentary is a different take this Spike Lee’s album docs, and that he has the expectation that Sonic Fantasy will be on a major streaming service by the fall.

I bring all this up because my theory is that several people had to withdraw because they were already contractually bound to do a Spike Lee doc about Thriller and if the release date for the documentaries are around the same time then they would want them to be differentiated as much as possible. To me that makes sense.

My other theory is about the reasoning they are focusing on Thriller 40 instead of celebrating the anniversaries of HIStory and Dangerous. Since LN (and Covid, but especially LN in this case) derailed everything, I believe they are focusing on Thriller because it will *always* sell. Thriller will always be the primary era and album that brings in new Michael fans. It is an undeniable record-breaker with mass appeal and widely known by the general public. So as their first major release post-LN it makes sense, from a business standpoint, to focus on reminding the world of Thriller and who Michael was in that era, as well as its significance. Now that we are 3 years out from LN, the musical is hugely successful, and Michael’s popularity has grown a lot on social media, a big effort with Thriller could help *really* turn the tables for Michael, generating a swath of new fans, and therefore making the eventual Dangerous and HIStory projects much more successful. Right now it seems like only current fans know about those albums. But with a proper push, these projects wouldn’t only exist for the fans that have been around for a long time (who understandably crave non-Thriller projects) but they would be timed just right to ride the wave of a year-long Thriller campaign, some Tony Awards (fingers crossed), a biopic, and a number of documentaries, within the next couple years. Because as of right now, we know Sonic Fantasy is coming out and we hope a Spike Lee doc is coming out. But we also know that the director Jin Chohan is working on a 3 part doc called Trial by Media and Taj Jackson proclaims to be working on a series too, both of which focus on Michael’s innocence in one way or another.
So just imagine how all of these projects could collide in the next 1-3 years! Think about how many different ways Michael could be vindicated, both as a human being and as an artist if there are enough successful projects spaced out over time and from multiple sources, not just the MJ estate. The more the estate does for Thriller this year, the more successful everything else will be, and may even lead to major streaming releases for Jin and Taj’s projects, because ultimately streaming services only care about making money. If they know there is money in MJ, not just as a punching bag, but as someone with a major and current fan base, it will help a lot!
So these are my theories and they may be hopelessly idealistic lol. But I’m holding out hope!

Disc 2 will be chipmunk version, heaven can wait was a huge inspiration lately 🤩

i only know i would be PISSED if they take the opportunity to get rid of track that already leaked online , yes the logo is ugly and i don't think they'll contemporize the demos they'll probably mix and master them and thats it like on bad 25

Last edited:
So I have some theories:

In the most recent episode of the MJ Cast, they interviewed the director of Sonic Fantasy. They were asking him about why certain people weren’t interviewed for his doc about Bruce Swedien and Thriller, such as Quincy Jones and Siedah Garret, as well as some others I can’t remember. And he said that he *did* either interview them, or have plans for interviews, but then several people had to withdraw. They asked him why and if it was because of LN (since he was producing the doc in 2019) and he said firmly that it was not and that he signed an NDA and could not share any details about it. He also mentioned several times how his documentary is a different take this Spike Lee’s album docs, and that he has the expectation that Sonic Fantasy will be on a major streaming service by the fall.

I bring all this up because my theory is that several people had to withdraw because they were already contractually bound to do a Spike Lee doc about Thriller and if the release date for the documentaries are around the same time then they would want them to be differentiated as much as possible. To me that makes sense.

My other theory is about the reasoning they are focusing on Thriller 40 instead of celebrating the anniversaries of HIStory and Dangerous. Since LN (and Covid, but especially LN in this case) derailed everything, I believe they are focusing on Thriller because it will *always* sell. Thriller will always be the primary era and album that brings in new Michael fans. It is an undeniable record-breaker with mass appeal and widely known by the general public. So as their first major release post-LN it makes sense, from a business standpoint, to focus on reminding the world of Thriller and who Michael was in that era, as well as its significance. Now that we are 3 years out from LN, the musical is hugely successful, and Michael’s popularity has grown a lot on social media, a big effort with Thriller could help *really* turn the tables for Michael, generating a swath of new fans, and therefore making the eventual Dangerous and HIStory projects much more successful. Right now it seems like only current fans know about those albums. But with a proper push, these projects wouldn’t only exist for the fans that have been around for a long time (who understandably crave non-Thriller projects) but they would be timed just right to ride the wave of a year-long Thriller campaign, some Tony Awards (fingers crossed), a biopic, and a number of documentaries, within the next couple years. Because as of right now, we know Sonic Fantasy is coming out and we hope a Spike Lee doc is coming out. But we also know that the director Jin Chohan is working on a 3 part doc called Trial by Media and Taj Jackson proclaims to be working on a series too, both of which focus on Michael’s innocence in one way or another.
So just imagine how all of these projects could collide in the next 1-3 years! Think about how many different ways Michael could be vindicated, both as a human being and as an artist if there are enough successful projects spaced out over time and from multiple sources, not just the MJ estate. The more the estate does for Thriller this year, the more successful everything else will be, and may even lead to major streaming releases for Jin and Taj’s projects, because ultimately streaming services only care about making money. If they know there is money in MJ, not just as a punching bag, but as someone with a major and current fan base, it will help a lot!
So these are my theories and they may be hopelessly idealistic lol. But I’m holding out hope!
Spot on, but kind of re-iterates what I was saying with regards this being the most posthumous project since *this is it!*

After the performance of The Lady In My Life by Maxwell, it should have been released as a single, as it wasn't released as the single initially. I would love to see TLIML chart on the music charts worldwide.
Have tbh this would be a dream come true or massively promote Thriller 40. It showcases Michael's amazing vocals and reminds the world why he was one if not the greatest!

Disc 2 will be chipmunk version, heaven can wait was a huge inspiration lately 🤩
Won't work. The generation that appreciated this does not even know the concept of a CD! They would have to make it a series of TikTok releases. Not a bad idea though 😂

To be honest, I am also starting to forget CDs. If I were to buy one, I would have to find a CD player from somewhere, attach it to my laptop, transfer everything on to the laptop and then load on my phone. That's the only way to listen a CD!

mj_3129140b.jpg

1) I'm pretty sure this is a film camera.

spax7lx.png

2) Notice the "lightning effect" on this frame. Probably caused when the original 16mm print was transferred to create the tape master.
Vision was the first release where it was fixed. Virtually all previous releases have this exact same effect on this exact same frame.

Just wanted to back you up.

Billie Jean: It's indeed a 16 mm film camera. The Arriflex 16SR2 (wikipedia) is the one we see in the photo. You can basically say that 16 mm is the analog equivalent to digital Full HD. I know this isn't 100% accurate but let's take this as it for simplicity's sake (35 mm = 4K, 70 mm = 8K).

BJ2-ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

BJ1-ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

Beat It: The camera in this photo is a Panavision Panaflex camera. It's a 35 mm film camera.

bi-panavision-panaflex.jpg

panavision-panaflex.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to back you up.

Billie Jean: It's indeed a 16 mm film camera. The Arriflex 16SR2 (wikipedia) is the one we see in the photo. You can basically say that 16 mm is the analog equivalent to digital Full HD. I know this isn't 100% accurate but let's take this as it for simplicity's sake (35 mm = 4K, 70 mm = 8K).

BJ2-ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

BJ1-ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

ARRIFLEX-16-SR-II.jpg

Beat It: The camera in this photo shows a Panavision Panaflex camera. It's a 35 mm film camera.

bi-panavision-panaflex.jpg

panavision-panaflex.jpg
Thanks a lot for the additional info!

That makes me think Billie Jean was shot in 16mm because MJ still had a low budget, so before the boom of Thriller?

I honestly think that the "previously unreleased tracks" in the 2nd disc will be the demos that everybody know about it like Slapstick, Starlight, Nite Line etc...
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release Thriller 4K.

Well, The Estate can't be blamed that songs have leaked and some fans have them illegally...

The hardcore fans that knows about leaks and unreleased songs are a little minority and The main public will never have heard those songs - and this is a global huge release for the normal music-listener, not a special release aimed directly at the hardcore fanbase.

So if the Estate releases the songs that have already leaked I really don't blame them - and I would hope they master them good and make them sound as good as possible. - Still, of course I also hope for all new songs we've never heard before. - But I don't see how anyone can blame the estate for releasing songs from their limited vault just because they have already leaked...

Back