Thriller 40th Anniversary

Somebody on another forum said it perfectly: it’s quite literally impossible for the Estate to give us a project worse than Thriller 25. As long as we get one authentic, unheard song from the early 1980s (and not one from the Dangerous sessions), we’re golden.

You'd think so, but they managed it by giving us a posthumous album with 3 fake songs.
I’ll still argue that Michael was better. At the end of the day, for all its flaws, that album still gave us five brand new songs.

I support official releases. it would be wonderful to have all 'thriller' content in one place - whatever form it takes 💜 I'm excited by the prospect of the singles; how they're going to be contemporised (preferably no features), hearing them on the radio, and seeing how they perform on the charts.

a remastering of 'the making of 'thriller' is long overdue. in fact, this the only documentary I would embrace.

I'm ready for it :)

However, the 2001 version is a short edit.
The full song (without the beat count intro) was released in 2008 on the Italian edition of "King of Pop".
You said it yourself,the full song was relesead on the Italian version of the compilation album ,,King of Pop,,.
The ,,King of Pop,, compilation(with its many editions ,the italian one containing the full version of ,,Carousel,,) and the ,,Thriller 25,, project are two different things.

Somebody on another forum said it perfectly: it’s quite literally impossible for the Estate to give us a project worse than Thriller 25. As long as we get one authentic, unheard song from the early 1980s (and not one from the Dangerous sessions), we’re golden.
The most tragic thing about Thriller 25 is that Michael was involved in the project
The same guy who dominated two straight , damn decades managed to do the worst celebration album in history somehow.
Wild

I’ll still argue that Michael was better. At the end of the day, for all its flaws, that album still gave us five brand new songs.
Exactly. It gave us NEW MUSIC ,something that Michael failed miserably in doing with his Thriller 25 cap

The most tragic thing about Thriller 25 is that Michael was involved in the project
The same guy who dominated two straight , damn decades managed to do the worst celebration album in history somehow.
Wild
The same guy who shelved the bonus disc for the Special Edition CDs.

I think Mike had some kind of OCD related to his unreleased music and concerts.

For All Time was written during the Thriller sessions,but was recorded during the Dangerous sessions.
The song was written for Dangerous.

Michael Sherwood said:
Michael had called and he wanted a follow-up, something that was in the vibe of Human Nature and obviously something from Steve. We wrote several songs and one of them was For All Time. He was going to put it on the Dangerous album indeed and it was supposed to be the ballad. Michael recorded it and it was coming out really well so we were really excited. But then there was this kid, Ryan White, who died of a blood transfusion contracting AIDS, and it was very sad. Michael had this beautiful song called Gone Too Soon and it had to go on the record. So it kind of knocked our song off the Dangerous record. We were hoping that maybe it would be on the next record, then we hoped it would be on the next record and then we finally just gave up on it and continued writing. At some point Lionel Richie was approached and he was interested to perform it. Steve told me that they did a track for him with Nathan East and some other people but I never heard it and it never surfaced.

In 2005, maybe early 2006, we got a call from Michael saying that he was releasing the Thriller 25th anniversary record and that he would like to put For All Time on it. We were very surprised but we dusted it off and finished it up. It was 20 years later but you must never give up because you never know! It was a very pleasant surprise when Steve called me and said : « Are you sitting down? » I said : « No. » He said : « Sit down! » Then I talked to Michael because I wanted to rewrite the verses. You know, 20 years later, I was a better writer so I said : « Can I please rewrite the verses? I love the chorus and the bridge, but I think the verses need a little more work. » But Michael said : « Oh, no, I want to keep it just like it is! » I said : « All right. » thinking to myself « You’re the King of Pop!… »

Sometimes I prefer Michael over Xscape simply because it gave us one of MJ's final songs and the production sounds like something MJ actually would've done, unlike Xscape that most of the time sound like generic electronic music.

The MICHAEL album gave us SIX original & never before released songs. Not three and not five!
Plus a new version of „The Way You Love Me“.
And I always have to repeat myself, I LOVE those 7 legit songs from the MICHAEL album.

Have to say, I’m not as excited as I thought I‘d be, after the announcement for a new release.
I very much feel what @analogue stated above.
Plus the whole 40 idea. What an anniversary?!
25th - ok. 50th - great. But 30, 35, now 40?
Next we‘re celebrating 22 years & 7 1/2 month of Invincible..
In 10 years they come back with the 50th anniversary of Thriller. The impact is weakened everytime IMO.

They really missed out on Dangerous25 & HIStory25!!!

They should have given us the Thriller Outtakes last year, with the celebration of MJ - 50 solo years. An anthology with outtakes from each era.

And: That 40 logo font.. It’s amazing that they always manage to drop the ball in one or the other form. But if that’ll be the only misstep within this project, we should be happy..

Hope that my excitement goes up, the more will be revealed..

So if they going to release Blu Ray stuff in best case we'll get:

Thriller + Making Of Thriller
Billie Jean
Beat It
Motown 25 Performance

The MICHAEL album gave us SIX original & never before released songs. Not three and not five!
Plus a new version of „The Way You Love Me“.
And I always have to repeat myself, I LOVE those 7 legit songs from the MICHAEL album.

Have to say, I’m not as excited as I thought I‘d be, after the announcement for a new release.
I very much feel what @analogue stated above.
Plus the whole 40 idea. What an anniversary?!
25th - ok. 50th - great. But 30, 35, now 40?
Next we‘re celebrating 22 years & 7 1/2 month of Invincible..
In 10 years they come back with the 50th anniversary of Thriller. The impact is weakened everytime IMO.

They really missed out on Dangerous25 & HIStory25!!!

They should have given us the Thriller Outtakes last year, with the celebration of MJ - 50 solo years. An anthology with outtakes from each era.

And: That 40 logo font.. It’s amazing that they always manage to drop the ball in one or the other form. But if that’ll be the only misstep within this project, we should be happy..

Hope that my excitement goes up, the more will be revealed..
what's wrong with celebrating a 30,35 or 40 anniversary?
a 40 anniversary is a perfect idea in my opinion (if done properly)

Billie Jean
Beat It
Motown 25 Performance
same ol' stuff..at best we are getting something boring oof
a victory tour show would be the best idea,both for 4K stuff and dvd/Blu Ray stuff

Actually, I think The Estate wanted to make a documentary of Thriller but the producer (maybe Spike Lee) said that he would like to use HD material (like Bad 25) and maybe otherwise he wouldn't doing it so I think we're getting the remastered videos because of him and not because The Estate wants to release that

Billie Jean
Beat It
Motown 25 Performance
I don't there'll be a physical release for those.

I would love to see a HQ victory tour.. but as someone already said here.. seems like its not possible cause of the Jackson Family.

I would love to see a HQ victory tour.. but as someone already said here.. seems like its not possible cause of the Jackson Family.
maybe It could be possible. They used also Destiny Tour and Triumph Tour footage in Journey From Motown To Off The Wall

Nobody apart from a few ppl around here care about pre-Bad tour footage.

Back