Thriller 40th Anniversary

About six months late but better late than never.
Yeah. It's all so underwhelming, though.

November is a big month for Jimi Hendrix. Just been looking at his official website to see what's happening. He's on the cover of Classic Rock which I already picked up. They are releasing footage of a gig he did in LA in 1969 with liner notes from one of the ZZ Top guys who was there. Loads of lovely photos on the website which is designed so that you actually want to spend time looking at stuff.

I just would like similar stuff for Michael. Even allowing for the tv programme I would have thought they could do more than they have done.

Oh well, back to Disc 2.

November is a big month for Jimi Hendrix. Just been looking at his official website to see what's happening. He's on the cover of Classic Rock which I already picked up. They are releasing footage of a gig he did in LA in 1969 with liner notes from one of the ZZ Top guys who was there. Loads of lovely photos on the website which is designed so that you actually want to spend time looking at stuff.

I just would like similar stuff for Michael. Even allowing for the tv programme I would have thought they could do more than they have done.
The one from his show at The Forum, right? I'm waiting for it!
Jimi's releases have their quality control assured by his Estate (which I believe are his heirs) always letting Eddie Kramer do his job.

The one from his show at The Forum, right? I'm waiting for it!
Yeah, the Forum show. I might be wrong about the film footage. I think it's just an album release. The footage is a little 9 min video from the ZZ Top bloke talking about the gig. I've just watched the first 3 minutes of it. Really nicely done. Some great photos, lovely editing, very clever montage effect which conjures up the late 60's but also looks lively and contemporary. It looks of its time but not dated, iyswim.

Jimi's releases have their quality control assured by his Estate (which I believe are his heirs) always letting Eddie Kramer do his job.
His estate have been a bit rubbish in the past, haven't they? Can't remember but, anyway, it's looking really good right now.

It is good to see John representing Michael's legacy on the TikTok platform. Many , many new fans will arise from the simplicity of this. I hope that every short film & tours released or re-leased can always be in 4K cause 4K is made for Michael!

How can they still be releasing unseen/unheard stuff by Jimi Hendrix after 52 years. His recording years were how long? Barely 5 years, probably less…

My guy had a really extensive touring career which was very well documented in various recordings.
Could be but MJ's career was so much longer. If there is this much of Jimi left then the Estate has barely scratched the surface for MJ. Hopefully at least lol

Could be but MJ's career was so much longer. If there is this much of Jimi left then the Estate has barely scratched the surface for MJ. Hopefully at least lol
This. They could easily give us Jacksons concerts, properly edited HQ bad tour show (if they really cant find any concert film) wembley 92 etc. We have a total of 2 official concerts (3 if you count Seoul 96). Even an edited 87 leg release would be epic.

There is, but the Estate refuses to release MJs live material (which is what the majority of Jimi's releases over the last years have been).

Although I'm a lapsed fan of Michael, it was a joy to revisit Thriller and the mix on Apple Music is fantastic and sounds so good after not hearing it since I was a kid.

I'm new here so have probably missed X or Y isn’t perfect but as someone who just adored his music, this anniversary release is fantastic.

Also, first post: Hello!

For anyone upset about the delays on the pre-orders, let me remind you of Eric Cartman's wise words on pre-ordering things (just switch "games" for "albums" in this case, but you'll get the point).

It is good to see John representing Michael's legacy on the TikTok platform. Many , many new fans will arise from the simplicity of this. I hope that every short film & tours released or re-leased can always be in 4K cause 4K is made for Michael!
I don't have problems with the Tiktok videos either. They are not bad.

There is this video that people say used to air on MTV for WBSS and was an official video.

Anyone have any more info on it?

I remember seeing this in better quality like 10+ years ago online. Isn't this technically the official WBSS video?

There is this video that people say used to air on MTV for WBSS and was an official video.

Anyone have any more info on it?

I remember seeing this in better quality like 10+ years ago online. Isn't this technically the official WBSS video?
Hm. I read the pinned comment for this video but, ngl, I find it hard to believe this was any kind of official release. I don't remember seeing this thing at the time but that's not conclusive. It's more the awfulness of the video and the non-existent production values. Why would Michael go from the production values and budget for BJ and Beat It to this? Michael, in the 1980's, had business smarts as well as impeccable artistic talent. That pinned comment is very clear that they saw this thing. OK, fine. It was broadcast somewhere in the world. That doesn't make it 'official', imo.

I only got halfway through the thing. It was so goddamn awful I had to take a break.

This isn't official. No way. I'm not buying it.

EDIT - just watched another 60 seconds. I don't believe it. Not for one single second. This couldn't possibly be official. Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at you. It's an interesting little mystery, I suppose, what with that pinned comment and all. All I'm saying is, if this really is an official Michael Jackson video - FROM THE 1980's - I'll eat my hat.*

*N.B. I never wear hats. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
the thriller dolby atmo mixes are proof that the "Baby be mine" stems are not lost i guess?

also can someone rip it from itunes for non apple music users? :D
Please PM :p

Last edited:
the thriller dolby atmo mixes are proof that the "Baby be mine" stems are not lost i guess?

also can someone rip it from itunes for non apple music users? :D
Please PM :p
I don’t know if atmos mixes can be ripped. I suspect that Apple Music has some proprietary stuff going on.

Fh38H_6XEAEuoKM

Back