Thriller 40th Anniversary

That's what I meant by "what was actually going on behind the scenes". Any TII footage we see of MJ during the rehearsals was him high on ephedrine.

Ah, ok. that makes more sense. I assumed that it was a recap montage of everything that went on in Michael's career and they happened to show a couple of seconds of TII footage, in that case I wouldn't have minded it but in the way that you're describing that's pure ego massaging lmao.
Yup. The ECA stack it’s called. Common symptom is that it can worsen insomnia. Definitely suitable to give MJ

Also, everyone has a different opinion about Quincy Jones, but when you talk about Thriller you have to talk about Quincy Jones.
He was barely mentioned in that documentary.
Quincy jones is very respected and is an amazing musician and producer whether you like it or not.
It’s very disrespectful to not recognise his print on the album.
But then it’s not too much of a surprise as we saw more interviews of usher and Mary j blige than Greg Philigane
This documentary was more about the impact that thriller had rather than the actual making of the album.
People are hyped because of the unseen footage. But this documentary was simply not well made.

Kevin Hughes

@Popprin
·
2 Std.

Great night at London screening of the forthcoming MJ #Thriller40 documentary film, directed by Nelson George. Admittedly, not the final edit; it features amazing archive & previously unseen footage that captures a genius at work in studio & on stage. And much more.. Coming soon.

The choice of director does make me uneasy about the whole project admittedly. I've not really been excited for this one, espicially after @lounisp kindly sharing his review with us. It confirmed what I feared, not much unreleased material and it being little snippets.

I just wish they would take time to research and interview who was in the room, working with Mike on the project. We know about Thriller's influence we don't need it shoved down our throats with every documentary. Fans like Damien Shields and TheMJcast do a better job of interviewing these great people, who worked with Mike

My question is why is it December and they've only done a rough cut of the documentary? Thriller came out 40 years ago yesterday, Thriller 40 came out 2 weeks ago. Surely they haven't been working on this since May?

Wait.

MJ Vibe said the docis due to be available on a streaming platform (unknown yet) in January 2024.

But Branca said it will be in 2023 !

Thriller 40th review:

5/10

It starts with a brief bad montage of Jackson 5 to off the wall. Nothing special, nothing new.

Then the endless interviews start.

Highlight: The girl is mine.
Video recording session
Paul McCartney and MJ singing (never seen before)
Maybe 1min footage
Heavily edited between interviews

Then more interviews
Nothing new.
The pacing is a bit all over the place.

Beat it.
Demo audio that we all heard already.
Then 2 deleted cuts from Beat It music video and some never seen behind the scene (all in glorious 4K)
Unfortunately very short.

Billie Jean.
Some bit of music video and demo audio
Nothing new there.
Wonderful footage of BTS (K-pop band) 😜

Thriller
Some bit of the music video (and some unseen behind the stage) all in 4K include the unseen making of.
Interview with MJ at a desk that seemed to be made from the thriller video. Unseen before.

Then some boring bits and interviews.
Pepsi advert ( A french fan uploaded the original 35mm reel a few years back with oversaturated highlight)
They took that footage from YouTube and put some AI filter on it. So it looks like a cartoon.

Mentioning Motown 25th and ET storybook
Grammies. Nothing new there to see.

Then the moment I was waiting for.

Victory tour live Los Angeles in amazing Glorious 4K
Very short beginning of the entrance and the start of WBSS.
Snippet of human nature and beat it.
Billie Jean is weirdly edited with multiple non-synchronised angles. (And added with some low-quality footage that we already saw)
The audio isn't great.

The victory tour 4K footage is in total there for 4min

Overall you ll learn nothing new in that documentary.
90% is people being interviewed.

I ll say 12min out of 1h30min is unseen.

Quincy jones is briefly mentioned and they randomly put the audio of him talking about carousel taken from the thriller special edition 2001.

Watching this in a room full of MJ fans wasn’t great either as some people kept talking, loudly commenting and screaming during the screening

The rating is my own personal opinion.
Someone may think it was amazing and rate it 10/10
Interesting take, I like the honest yet detailed review (y)

I've just read on twitter that the documentary doesn't mention Lady In My Life? Surely that's not true
Wouldn’t be surprised. That is one of the most criminally underrated songs of all time. A top 10 best MJ track. Rod was a god damn genius and THE BEST songwriter of all time in my opinion.

Last edited:
tumblr_n4ixpfAD1G1qcsr0lo1_500.gif

The Estate: hmm… yeah no, lemme give you the incredible Munich 97 concert first. You wait 10 more years for HD Victory
I'm about to go crazy in this house right now...the 44seconds of what they have shown today...& WE CANT GET IT IN FULL? I just cannot understand why.....WHY WHY WHY do we only get clips. I can't for the life of me understand what the wait is!!!

Back