Thriller live - how many different casts are there??

Remington Steele

Proud Member
I recently was at Thriller live... since I really liked it so much
(mentioned it here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87929) I was looking for some footage of it.

But gee, in the footage I found here

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2448059#post2448059

and

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2313307#post2313307

it seemed like yet two another almost entirely different casts than the one that I saw here in Germany (I only recognized two she-dancers in the latter video).
Also, I know while one cast is currently touring Europe, there is a second one that's performing in London at the same time... is this yet another cast? (lol)

I don't think it's such a good idea to change the cast so often... that way you can't even expect the impersonators and dancers of a tribute show to stay the same.

I'd love to get a DVD or BD of the show with the cast I have seen... anybody know if they are recording the show every now and then? Would be really sad if not.

I really loved the show with the cast I've seen... the other ones in the videos don't seem as good to me.

I don't think it's such a good idea to change the cast so often... that way you can't even expect the impersonators and dancers of a tribute show to stay the same.

Broadway/West End musicals change their casts every so often and if there are productions all around the world, you need different casts! :lol: Performers get really worn down (or even get bored) doing shows every night so everyone has to go sometime. Sometimes the replacements are not as good, but at the same time, they might be really good!

Thriller Live is, I guess, a long-running musical and not just a few week long stint, so it follows that procedure.

You have a point. But do you know if they tape the show for afterwards? If I had been allowed to, I would have taped it myself in Full HD 3D! :D

From my theatre knowledge, musicals don't tape their shows (usually it's only done once for achiving- and these are very rare to find). The only professionally filmed footage for the public to see would be the press releases (snippets for advertising). Also, the thinking is that if you make a DVD/film out of a musical that's still running, no-one would see it live.

Thriller Live might have some recordings for themselves but I doubt they would release anything. But you never know, they might decide to film for DVD release (to be honest I think it's unlikely).
I'm sure there are people who have taken full bootlegs, it's just a matter of finding them. I don't think there's much interest in it in the musical theatre community so I don't really know where to direct you. I guess, just keep searching youtube.

You're right, thank you.

After experiencing a fantastic concert, I'm always sad a tape recording doesn't exist... I would have easily paid 100 Euro for that memory!

I get the point they don't want to release it so people go see it, but they could release it in say five years or so... if I would be a musical director of such a show, I would tape every show.

Back