TOm Bahler's Soulful Memories with Michael Jackson (positive article)

from the article:
Tom's ballad ['She's Out Of My Life'] is featured on Jackson's 1979 solo album Off the Wall. According to him, Jackson wasn't his original choice to sing the track. "But [Michael] understood drama," he said. Jackson was moved by the song and tearful toward the end of every recording he made. Tom said Jones had Jackson record the song 12 times before deciding to keep the emotional ending. The version released on Off the Wall is the first recording Jackson made. "When he sang ‘She's Out of My Life," he cried," Tom said. "People don't hear how he apologized at the end of every take. I asked Michael on a break if he was alright. I said, ‘Hey man, sorry if I hit a chord.' [Michael] said, ‘No man, I was just getting into the lyrics."

What enourmous talent MJ had to reach deep inside himself to deliver this songs emotional impact. And from the first recording take too? Just incredible.

This is a great read.

Marty In LA

I find it interesting to add that some internet sources have stated that Tom Bahler wrote 'She's Out Of My Life' over his broken romance with Karen Carpenter.

Marty In LA

from the article:
Tom's ballad ['She's Out Of My Life'] is featured on Jackson's 1979 solo album Off the Wall. According to him, Jackson wasn't his original choice to sing the track. "But [Michael] understood drama," he said. Jackson was moved by the song and tearful toward the end of every recording he made. Tom said Jones had Jackson record the song 12 times before deciding to keep the emotional ending. The version released on Off the Wall is the first recording Jackson made. "When he sang ‘She's Out of My Life," he cried," Tom said. "People don't hear how he apologized at the end of every take. I asked Michael on a break if he was alright. I said, ‘Hey man, sorry if I hit a chord.' [Michael] said, ‘No man, I was just getting into the lyrics."

What enourmous talent MJ had to reach deep inside himself to deliver this songs emotional impact. And from the first recording take too? Just incredible.

This is a great read.

Marty In LA

Thank you for taking the time to read it Marty. Tom has true love and respect for Michael. I'm happy you enjoyed the article.

This was wonderful...I love reading things from people who knew Michael well and had respect and admiration for his singing voice as well as his amazing spirit. It makes me smile. Props to Tom Bahler. Thank you.

I think there are so many people like this who would love to talk, but it's hard to trust people who write because you never know what spin they're going to throw. (I'm a writer and I still feel this way because sadly, this is the reputation we've given ourselves over the years - not everyone, but a lot of "well respected journalists." And it's SAD.

Thank you for reading KJ777. I truly appreciate it and will always appreciate Tom.

Back