Too Bad is Too Cool or Too Awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Shaw

2 Bad
Michael Jackson always said, that Bad title of his Bad song doesn't really mean Bad. It means cool or tough. This was kinda game of words. But what about Too Bad song? If you look in the lyrics you can see Michael singing about mass-media. In the chorus part he sings "Too bad, too bad about it
Why don't you scream and shout it"
And IMHO he means exactly "cool" word. Also let's not forget the fact, that 2 Bad is official sequel to his Bad song. So, I guess 2 Bad also means cool. Or it doesn't? I'm foreign speaker, so it's little bit complicated for me to understand some of Michael's slangs šŸ˜…

What do you think guys?

The '2 Bad' song's title is actually a play on words.

In any case, this song did not manage to be a worthy successor to his 'BAD' song.

Also, given the seriousness and gravity of the song's dark theme, it was not a good idea to have an American basketball player (named Shaquille O'Neal) rap on it.

The '2 Bad' song's title is actually a play on words.

In any case, this song did not manage to be a worthy successor to his 'BAD' song.

Also, given the seriousness and gravity of the song's dark theme, it was not a good idea to have an American basketball player (named Shaquille O'Neal) rap on it.
Oh. Okay. Thank you for your answer

2 Bad is a response to the media attacks in the 1990s. Michael was basically saying, ā€œIā€™m doing whatever I want. Thatā€™s too bad, ainā€™t it? Why donā€™t you (the media, critics) scream about it? (get mad about it)ā€. The song is tough and cool in structure but the lyrics are not about being a cool, ā€œbadā€ and rebellious kid, but Michael stating to the media he is doing whatever he wants. Totally different theme.

Last edited:
2 Bad is a response to the media of the 1990s. Michael was basically saying, ā€œIā€™m doing whatever I want. Thatā€™s too bad, ainā€™t it? Why donā€™t you (the media, critics) scream about it?ā€œ (get mad about it). The structure of the song is meant to be cool but the lyrics are not about being cool and ā€œbadā€ and rebellious, but stating to the media Michael is doing whatever he wants. Totally different theme.
Yes yes yes. I agree šŸ‘

"Bad" can interpreted as being about the media, too. The tougher image MJ adopted for that song, video, and album was in response to the media poking fun at him as a silly manchild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back