Trending Topic - Beyonce Has Surpassed Michael Jackson - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fact that Michael is still being used as the standard, shows how relevant he is and always will be.

as I stated in another thread, Michael is the only artist I've seen with such a large following of all ages, ethnicities, and genders.

Beyonce has praised both Michael and Janet as major influences. she probably wouldn't be the same performer without them.

I personally don't think she can sing better than janet. Have you heard destiny's child cover 'let's wait awhile'?

Michael's Essence;4220217 said:
the fact that Michael is still being used as the standard, shows how relevant he is and always will be.

as I stated in another thread, Michael is the only artist I've seen with such a large following of all ages, ethnicities, and genders.

Beyonce has praised both Michael and Janet as major influences. she probably wouldn't be the same performer without them.

I personally don't think she can sing better than janet. Have you heard destiny's child cover 'let's wait awhile'?
Why? They have their own ballads that are good (Janet has never sang the "National Antum"). I like the ballad '"cater to you". Kelly is a better singer than Beyoncé (Beyoncé can sing but Kelly is a great singer. I love Janet but Janet can not out sing these girls when you look at arch, pitch, and range, etc).

It's all about preference. If you think they sing better than Janet.. That's you're opinion. I have no interest in a back and fourth. It was a mistake to enter a thread that never should have been started. Won't happen again i assure you.

moonstruck87;4220193 said:
I admit, I do not know Beyoncé well enough. But I think this question could also be helpful to answer OPs question:

Was there anything Beyoncé did that really changed modern culture / pop culture and modern dance (!) forever?

Actually, I don´t care that much about record sales. Impact on society is what makes an artist.

"Her Lemonade album". That's the go-to answer.

----------

With her recent big production in the Coachella 2018, it is expected that the media will put the spotlight on her. She's considered the megastar among the stars now, thus, the attention. It will all subside until her next public appearance, we don't know when.

It is honestly tiring (my personal opinion) to see her being associated with MJ. It's as if it is an easy way to make it to the history books, and become known as the female counterpart who does the same things. But I get where they get the comparison to MJ--her live performances become the people's basis and the "hugeness" of her productions, the stamina to hold a live show with song and dance combined. I give props for her consistency in her live performances, meaning her energy, and dedication to her dance sequences and choreography (although I am hesitant to say that *that* is dancing) and live singing. I don't think she's stopping anytime now even at her age. She seemed to really have taken care of herself to prolong her career. I can't name somebody else who has a solid song and dance production among her contemporaries, so she'd stand out. This comparison alone will make people think that "yeah, maybe she is up there in the pedestal of greats with MJ, or maybe even greater. The guy's dead, somebody must take his place." For casual viewers this is enough.

But there is/are still something missing in her that I guess some of us are still seeking: massive appeal to all demographics without alienating some and connection/engagement with the viewers (not just her Beyhive). Her recent Coachella (does Coachella matter? Is it a big thing in the US? I am not familiar, sorry.) performance is one big, long, grand production, but I personally think it is lacking something-- her and her songs connecting to her audience. I watched it via screen capture on Facebook to see what the hype on Twitter is all about. One hour and 45 minutes of straight live choreo and vocals. Except for a few of her classic known songs and the DC reunion, her songs are either about her and her ego and her "slaying". I personally can't connect. Occasionally trying to engage her audience and ask them to sing along but it just wouldn't fly to the majority of the audience probably because they don't know the songs is a bit cringy to see, check the crowd shots. Great visuals, but lacking substance (she tried to incorporate some political and societal statements about women empowerment and black support, but it was too short or unremarkable).

I don't think MJ had this struggle even with his rare minor events appearances back then (VMAs, AMAs, etc.).

Is she great at what she does? Yes. But is she better than Michael Jackson? We will see. I think she has to surpass MJ in many things and pass a lot of "criteria" before she gets and take his place as the GREATEST.

LOL she is SO over rated IMO.
Like, seriously, her voice? meh average. Music? aside of 2 songs that are good enough, the rest does not bring anything new at all and personally find them quite irritating. Her dancing? Think it's her strong point by far. I'd describe her as a very good dancer who can more less sing but that's about it.

So, her being better or even at the same level than Michael.......?
200.gif

michaelsfedora;4220252 said:
LOL she is SO over rated IMO.
Like, seriously, her voice? meh average. Music? aside of 2 songs that are good enough, the rest does not bring anything new at all and personally find them quite irritating. Her dancing? Think it's her strong point by far. I'd describe her as a very good dancer who can more less sing but that's about it.

So, her being better or even at the same level than Michael.......?
200.gif

Many, many artists have been compared to MJ at their peak and then slid into (relative) obscurity. Remember Sisqo? Haha.

Beyonce keeps hanging on, and if she can do that then she will widely be regarded as the new MJ, maybe even better than MJ. BUT I don't think Bey has had the same cultural impact as MJ had, even though she increasingly tries to assert herself onto black and political issues. She is very savvy and I'm sure she knows that she needs to have some impact or influence in those areas to be considered a great. In the future when people look back at the most influential stars, those who had a tangible impact on race relations or politics are generally given extra kudos.

Yes she can sing well. Yes she can put on a great live show. yes her music videos have become iconic. She has iconic costumes too and she has secured her place in history. Much of her approach to singing and performing has been borrowed from MJ and great stars like him, but then those stars also borrowed from their forebears, so that cannot be held against her.

There is still something missing that needs to be achieved before she can be considered greater than MJ and I don't know what it is. It's that intangible element that makes the difference.

Mercurial_Dudette;4220244 said:
"Her Lemonade album". That's the go-to answer.

----------

With her recent big production in the Coachella 2018, it is expected that the media will put the spotlight on her. She's considered the megastar among the stars now, thus, the attention. It will all subside until her next public appearance, we don't know when.

It is honestly tiring (my personal opinion) to see her being associated with MJ. It's as if it is an easy way to make it to the history books, and become known as the female counterpart who does the same things. But I get where they get the comparison to MJ--her live performances become the people's basis and the "hugeness" of her productions, the stamina to hold a live show with song and dance combined. I give props for her consistency in her live performances, meaning her energy, and dedication to her dance sequences and choreography (although I am hesitant to say that *that* is dancing) and live singing. I don't think she's stopping anytime now even at her age. She seemed to really have taken care of herself to prolong her career. I can't name somebody else who has a solid song and dance production among her contemporaries, so she'd stand out. This comparison alone will make people think that "yeah, maybe she is up there in the pedestal of greats with MJ, or maybe even greater. The guy's dead, somebody must take his place." For casual viewers this is enough.

But there is/are still something missing in her that I guess some of us are still seeking: massive appeal to all demographics without alienating some and connection/engagement with the viewers (not just her Beyhive). Her recent Coachella (does Coachella matter? Is it a big thing in the US? I am not familiar, sorry.) performance is one big, long, grand production, but I personally think it is lacking something-- her and her songs connecting to her audience. I watched it via screen capture on Facebook to see what the hype on Twitter is all about. One hour and 45 minutes of straight live choreo and vocals. Except for a few of her classic known songs and the DC reunion, her songs are either about her and her ego and her "slaying". I personally can't connect. Occasionally trying to engage her audience and ask them to sing along but it just wouldn't fly to the majority of the audience probably because they don't know the songs is a bit cringy to see, check the crowd shots. Great visuals, but lacking substance (she tried to incorporate some political and societal statements about women empowerment and black support, but it was too short or unremarkable).

I don't think MJ had this struggle even with his rare minor events appearances back then (VMAs, AMAs, etc.).

Is she great at what she does? Yes. But is she better than Michael Jackson? We will see. I think she has to surpass MJ in many things and pass a lot of "criteria" before she gets and take his place as the GREATEST.
You summed it up. And remember, that comparison is done to get attention. So far, the majority of people say MJ is the GREATEST. Even in his debate, Michael is getting the majority. I wont even blame beyonce for this comparison because she knows who is the best. even looking at her show, it is MJ blueprint. But again, the show was good and I love he message in the show and her honoring HBCUS colleges and bands, etc but she is NO Michael Jackson something even she would say.

Michael's Essence;4220237 said:
It's all about preference. If you think they sing better than Janet.. That's you're opinion. I have no interest in a back and fourth. It was a mistake to enter a thread that never should have been started. Won't happen again I assure you.

Point taken. Thread closed. Lol.

A good free discussion was had, with a variety of (welcome) and respectful opinions, though, so well done, everybody.

#MJistheGOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back