Two video recorded performances of Will You Be There in MTV 10th Anniv. Special 1991?

john13th

Proud Member
I happened to watch the whole 2 first DVDs of Michael Jackson’s Vision first time for many years.

What surprised me the most was the inclusion of Refugees Camp Mix version of the Blood On The Dance Floor video which I had forgotten.

But also that Will You Be There from that MTV special in 1991 (mixed with concert footage) ended with no lady angel flying down and hugging him.

Could that be that Michael performed those songs Black Or White and Will You Be There under multiple video recording takes?

I happened to watch the whole 2 first DVDs of Michael Jackson’s Vision first time for many years.

What surprised me the most was the inclusion of Refugees Camp Mix version of the Blood On The Dance Floor video which I had forgotten.

But also that Will You Be There from that MTV special in 1991 (mixed with concert footage) ended with no lady angel flying down and hugging him.

Could that be that Michael performed those songs Black Or White and Will You Be There under multiple video recording takes?
I've heard it said that Will You Be There didn't always have that angel imagery in it while performed live.

Yeah I think the Vision version was made in 1992/early 93, this version was made before the song became attached to the film "Free Willy".
When the song became attached to the film they included clips from the movie, as well as Mike performing it on the DWT to promote it.

The "vision" version was also included on the Dangerous Short Films collection if I remember rightly. I prefer this version, it flows better

Michael Jackson did not perform 'Will You Be There' under multiple video recording takes.

They removed the lady angel at the end of 'Will You Be There' during post-production (for 'Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD video album).

I like the MTV 10 performance over the Free Willy soundtrack video. Honestly I never understood why this song was selected for that movie. Didn't feel like it fit the movie to me.

Michael Jackson did not perform 'Will You Be There' under multiple video recording takes.

They removed the lady angel at the end of 'Will You Be There' during post-production (for 'Michael Jackson's Vision' DVD video album).
He DID perform it under multiple takes, over and over, the crowd in attendance dwindled as the performance ran on, Michael wanted to take the best bits for the screening, where is your info from?

MJ performing two takes for one song has happened before. Back in 2002 during the American Bandstand "Dangerous" performance, he performed it twice in Pasadena. As you can see in the MTV report below, the "sidewalk" he does is more rough compared to the final televised version.
The televised take of it.

MJ performing two takes for one song has happened before. Back in 2002 during the American Bandstand "Dangerous" performance, he performed it twice in Pasadena. As you can see in the MTV report below, the "sidewalk" he does is more rough compared to the final televised version.
The televised take of it.
It's amazing that I can see MJ make one mistake in over about 40 years of his career.

Back