Underrated MJ tracks by fans

Well it are usually the songs that were not single releases. I sometimes don’t understand the concept of making an album because usually more than half of the songs are gonna get snowed in because of the singles. I would think all these songs are special for an artists because he spend dozens of hours writing, discussing and recording them. Some artists then bring their new songs live on tour and that is how it should be.

If I was an artist that was eying chart success I wouldn’t even bother with albums. I’d release 4 singles a year and maybe later on collect them on compilations. Because pop stars seem to be making 3 or 4 big tracks filled up with some filler songs and I don’t understand that, it is being happy about mediocrity.
If I didn’t care about chart success I would make a very personal album or something thematic with a concept that connects with me so I would enjoy performing it life until I hit my next album.

Anyway this was off topic though it applies to MJ as well from dangerous onwards, lots of songs on his last 3 albums were completely neglected once recorded.

Such an underrated track, if it hadn't been sandwiched between Jam and In The Closet, I think it would have been more of an appreciated track or had it been on HIStory perhaps

The layers of those backgrounds are so luscious and rich
'Why You Wanna Trip On Me' works (lyrically) as an extension to 'Jam', so it had to be placed right after the 'Jam' song.
Just Good Friends - I really don't get the hate for this song. It's a lot of fun. Not everything has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes a nice, fun pop song is all you need. And Just Good Friends does that job perfectly
Being a fun song was the main problem of 'Just Good Friends' (because it did not fit the overall, dark and aggressive theme of the 'BAD' album).

Also, 'Just Good Friends' has been described as an inferior version of the 'The GIrl Is Mine' duet song.
"Xscape" and "Shout" are very talked about in the fan community, actually. The former has been a cult classic ever since it first leaked in 2002, and many people thought it should have made it on Invincible. It's actually the most popular outtake for the album. The song was further praised when it was officially released in 2014, but the original version is better liked than the remix.

"Shout" is also popular among fans; many people felt "You Are My Life" taking its place on Invincible was a mistake. Actually, a lot of Invincible outtakes are popular among hardcore fans; it's always been a popular topic to talk about how you think the album should have been, and fans often bring up outtakes like "Xscape", "Shout", "Blue Gangster" and "A Place with No Name".
Many fans remarked that 'Xscape' should have been the closing track of the 'Invincible' album.
Shout is one of my faves.

If we're fantasising about which songs we would love to watch Michael recording, this is one of mine. I wouldn't want to change the track listing on Invincible but I think Shout is a fabulous song. And I love his rapping. When you say it isn't 'mind-blowing' do you mean when compared to 'real' rapping? I can understand that. I love Michael's rock songs although he doesn't really have a 'rock' voice. Certainly, his voice isn't really strong enough for rock, it's not heavy or substantial enough. But he makes it work and does such a brilliant job that any technical limitations just fade away. I don't listen to much rap so I can't do a comparison but, yeah, I can see that a 'real' rapper is doing stuff that Michael would not be able to do but, again, it's that thing of him just being able to do stuff even when I think, 'oh that won't work'.

I love Shout both for the lyrics and for the way Michael delivers them. Actually, it's funny but I count this as one of his rock songs (in spite of the rapping!) because of the awesome guitar but also the feel of it.
Many fans also remarked that 'Shout' should have been the opening track of the 'Invincible' album (due to its "This is not your ordinary record" first line).

Songs that are not talked about much of even plainly disliked except for your own opinion

- One more chance

I love this one a lot because of the vocals. Those yeah yeah’s are so cool.

- don’t walk away

I have a soft spot for heartbreak songs, love the ad libs

- we’re almost there

inspirational song, love the backing vocals by the female singers and Michael ad libbing over them during the last minute, lovely bass sound as well. I hope he did this live a few times as it was a single in 1975

- with a child’s heart

Sorry Stevie but Michael blows your version out of the water, this was done live during the mid 70s, footage of that would make my year

- get on the floor

dancefloor disco/funk killer, superb bass line. If this had been a single everybody would be talking about it

- scared of the moon

Those vocals… haunting track

- someone in the dark

Why oh why was this not used for ET? Divine vocals, superb chorus. Disney like magic

- la la means I love you

such passion and soul at that tender age, the delfonics had nothing on Michael’s version

- happy

Smokey Robinson cover, his mid 70s live covers of this track are goosebump inducing, so calming, magical. Original track is absolutely wonderful too

- one day in your life

Both live and album versions, the music, the background choir. A former Uk, Belgian and Holland nr 1 hit, completely forgotten

- true love can be beautiful

Old J5 track from ABC

- (i like) the way you love me

the original recording, the last minute and half is pure bliss building and building and then fading out

- blue gangsta

also the original recording, love the big band brass sound, flashes of accordion

- you’ve changed

one of the earliest recordings, circa 1968 , a very happy song Michael sounds amazing, lovely lyrics

- you need love ( like i do don’t you)

amazing how this song flows out of dancing machine on the get it together album, funky, done live, would LOVE to see that

I can go on but I figure the thread is already long enough…
haha when i was listening to someone in the dark i was thinking 'oh, this sounds like it could be a disney song!' and not less then ten seconds later, ET starts talking, haha! but doesn't that mean that it is in ET?

haha when i was listening to someone in the dark i was thinking 'oh, this sounds like it could be a disney song!' and not less then ten seconds later, ET starts talking, haha! but doesn't that mean that it is in ET?
It was supposed to be in the film. On one hand I like that it remains a hidden gem but on the other hand if it was in the film it would have been one of the most recognizable songs ever. You know or may not know that ET held the all time box office record until Jurassic Park too over 11 years later.

Why You Wanna Trip On Me.
Such an underrated track, if it hadn't been sandwiched between Jam and In The Closet, I think it would have been more of an appreciated track or had it been on HIStory perhaps

Honestly I've listened to it way more than Jam and In The Closet funny enough.

i love why you wanna trip on me!!! i agree, his vocals blended together create a nice sense/feeling of harmony in his voice. and i agree, it kind of seems like it could be on HIStory...?

Last edited:
Back