Was For All Time made during Thriller era?

love1sfatal

hello august moon where are the stars of the night
i dont have much knowledge on this topic and i was wondering bc we only heard demos for it made during the Dangerous sessions, yet the song appeared on Thriller 25 and im confused 😅 ive seen some sites say the song was written during the Thriller era and that theres a demo from back then but idk how true is that. do we know anything ab that or is it fake info??

FAT was written for the Dangerous album.

Here's an exerpt of an interview Brice Najar did with the songs co-writter Michael Sherwood:

Can you tell us more about the creation of the track For All Time that was supposed to feature on the Dangerous album?

Michael had called and he wanted a follow-up, something that was in the vibe of Human Nature and obviously something from Steve. We wrote several songs and one of them was For All Time. He was going to put it on the Dangerous album indeed and it was supposed to be the ballad. Michael recorded it and it was coming out really well so we were really excited. But then there was this kid, Ryan White, who died of a blood transfusion contracting AIDS, and it was very sad. Michael had this beautiful song called Gone Too Soon and it had to go on the record. So it kind of knocked our song off the Dangerous record. We were hoping that maybe it would be on the next record, then we hoped it would be on the next record and then we finally just gave up on it and continued writing. At some point Lionel Richie was approached and he was interested to perform it. Steve told me that they did a track for him with Nathan East and some other people but I never heard it and it never surfaced.

It was eventually released in 2008 on the Thriller 25 record. Do you know why it was actually chosen for that project? How did it feel when you heard the news?

Well, in 2005, maybe early 2006, we got a call from Michael saying that he was releasing the Thriller 25th anniversary record and that he would like to put For All Time on it. We were very surprised but we dusted it off and finished it up. It was 20 years later but you must never give up because you never know! It was a very pleasant surprise when Steve called me and said : « Are you sitting down? » I said : « No. » He said : « Sit down! » (laughs) Then I talked to Michael because I wanted to rewrite the verses. You know, 20 years later, I was a better writer so I said : « Can I please rewrite the verses? I love the chorus and the bridge, but I think the verses need a little more work. » But Michael said : « Oh, no, I want to keep it just like it is! » I said : « All right. » thinking to myself « You’re the King of Pop!… » (laughs)
(source)

It would've made a lot more sense for MJ to put Dream Away on T25 since it has a similar vibe to FAT and Human Nature and is actually from Thriller era. Although I don't doubt that he forgot about the song completely lol.

It would've made a lot more sense for MJ to put Dream Away on T25 since it has a similar vibe to FAT and Human Nature and is actually from Thriller era. Although I don't doubt that he forgot about the song completely lol.

Dream Away is good but I think he probably forgot about it too lol.....He should've put Who Do You Know on there

Neither one is from Thriller era in my estimation. Carousel was the only song that made sense to include. That and Hot Street.

It's from 1983 so that's within Thriller era. Even if it was from 1985-1986 it still would've made more sense than putting For All Time on the album.
It's Thriller era but that's when MJ is performing and emphasizing the material he just released. If anything it's the Pipes of Peace era lol. We're talking from the Thriller Sessions, which is a way stricter criteria. If it wasn't in contention for the album at all then it's not an outtake/demo. To me anyway.

It's Thriller era but that's when MJ is performing and emphasizing the material he just released. If anything it's the Pipes of Peace era lol. We're talking from the Thriller Sessions, which is a way stricter criteria. If it wasn't in contention for the album at all then it's not an outtake/demo. To me anyway.
But it still, would make more sense than to put a song that was made over 10 years after Thriller's release. My only explanation as to why he didn't think about putting Dream Away on T25 was because he forgot about the song entirely. At that point the song was made 25 years ago in one session after all.

If Michael would read all this era talk he would not be able to understand it. He would say but I write new songs every year, there is no such thing as an era, especially not when he returns to songs he had written decades before. There is a so called "Bad era" track on the HIStory album and little susie has its origins in the "off the wall era".

There is a Motown era for sure, then a pre allegations era and a post allegations era. These are all distinctly different, his song writing post 1993 was a lot more personal and dark. Maybe there is a 4th era post 2005 trial but there is not enough material to fully judge how his songwriting was altered by the positive outcome.

If Michael would read all this era talk he would not be able to understand it. He would say but I write new songs every year, there is no such thing as an era, especially not when he returns to songs he had written decades before. There is a so called "Bad era" track on the HIStory album and little susie has its origins in the "off the wall era".

There is a Motown era for sure, then a pre allegations era and a post allegations era. These are all distinctly different, his song writing post 1993 was a lot more personal and dark. Maybe there is a 4th era post 2005 trial but there is not enough material to fully judge how his songwriting was altered by the positive outcome.
This is an interesting observation and take. Never thought of it like that.

But it still, would make more sense than to put a song that was made over 10 years after Thriller's release. My only explanation as to why he didn't think about putting Dream Away on T25 was because he forgot about the song entirely. At that point the song was made 25 years ago in one session after all.
I agree. I guess he just wasnt thinking about it like that, wasn't feeling it.

The Toy/Best of Joy would've made more sense than both of em though. Or Hot Street, it's basically the lost 10th Thriller track. Either after Baby Be Mine or Thriller right?

I agree. I guess he just wasnt thinking about it like that, wasn't feeling it.

The Toy/Best of Joy would've made more sense than both of em though. Or Hot Street, it's basically the lost 10th Thriller track. Either after Baby Be Mine or Thriller right?

Michael thought The Toy was better than songs on Thriller but I'm glad he didn't put that on T25. Hot Street would've been the right choice since he liked it a lot

Michael thought The Toy was better than songs on Thriller but I'm glad he didn't put that on T25. Hot Street would've been the right choice since he liked it a lot
Well, he wanted to finish BoJ so I forgot about that part.

Did he finish For All Time with Steve Porcaro?

He did? When did he say this?

I'm personally not a fan of the toy at all and wouldn't swap it with any track on Thriller. I am your toy, I am your boy - not exactly lyrical genius stuff.

He did? When did he say this?

I'm personally not a fan of the toy at all and wouldn't swap it with any track on Thriller. I am your toy, I am your boy - not exactly lyrical genius stuff.
He actually did, on a deposition in 1984.
"Jackson named other songs he had written that he feels are just as strong or stronger than the stuff that was on the Thriller album, including "The Toy." "Quincy wanted me to write a song for the Richard Pryor movie, The Toy, and it got too close to my doing Thriller. So I canned it, but I did write the song and I did a demo of 'The Toy.'"

Haha no I don't think he would use the word 'Era' but he would probably say 'Around Off The Wall' or something, he needed reference too

I love For All Time but I wish it wasn’t released on Thriller 25. It is a brilliant song that deserves more recognition but because it is released on Thriller 25 surrounded by the terrible remixes, it is barely known outside of the hardcore fanbase.

I love For All Time but I wish it wasn’t released on Thriller 25. It is a brilliant song that deserves more recognition but because it is released on Thriller 25 surrounded by the terrible remixes, it is barely known outside of the hardcore fanbase.
It should have been on BOTDF.

MJ should have added Monkey Business, On The Line, For All Time and In The Back and called it a rap.

Back