Was Michael ever disappointed with any songs he released?

I loved that part when he talked about not being satisfied with the toe stand, and I always felt the same way about that performance but knew it was his first time doing it! He had really flat feet and Liza Minelli showed him how to stretch his feet like ballet dancers do, and he developed strong high arches for dancing. Always thought that was interesting as a ballet dancer :)
And to me, Give In To Me sounds like pent up sexual frustration…an underrated song! Whenever someone says he wasn’t into women, I think uuuhh, give this song a listen!🔥🔥🔥
Me again because I have no idea how to do that thing that you all do where you answer 2 separate posts in the same comment. What Ninja skills are these? I've been on the board just over a week and still don't really know what I'm doing. Only just started using emojis about 3 days ago!

Anyway. F&F, are you talking about Motown 25? I love the part where he falls off the toe stand. I mean, I can't remember what I thought about it at the time but I'm guessing the same as now which is, it's fine. It shows he's human! He doesn't always get it right. What it really shows, of course, is a consummate performer who is already so experienced he isn't fazed by a mistake. It is quite a big mistake but he doesn't miss a beat. Even as he's moving away from the spot and adjusting his balance he's totally in the groove. And he never loses his centre of gravity. Watching him move back into being in complete control of his dance is just awesome.

In fact, talking about it is slightly misleading cos it sounds as if I'm saying, 'oh, yes, you can see him really messing up there but we'll be kind and pretend it's OK'. In reality, when I watch that part it almost doesn't register, iyswim. I mean, it does but also doesn't cos of being so swept up in the moment and the emotion of what he's communicating. Is this making sense? I hope so. I know what I'm trying to say but not quite getting there. At the end of that performance the one thing I can guarantee I am NOT thinking about is that one mistake. Michael is the only person who would be focused on that.

I probably should leave it there. I already did a huge mad rant about Motown 25 on another thread. I can't seem to talk about this performance without losing my mind.

@PurpleThriller

'Give In To Me' is brilliant but it doesn't seem to get much love. Not that I've noticed, anyway. I have it on permanent heavy rotation. Sometimes I'll play it just once and then I don't need to listen to anything else all day because, well, why would I need to? I suppose I can understand Michael not being satisfied with it cos, you know, creative-genius-at-work and all that. But for me, this song has got everything.

I probably watch the video a bit too much cos when I listen to the song by itself I do sometimes ever-so-slightly miss the pyrotechnic sound effects. But I wouldn't actually want them on the record. And the guitar solo is way more powerful on the record than it is on the video.

It's just perfect.
I agree 😄

I loved that part when he talked about not being satisfied with the toe stand, and I always felt the same way about that performance but knew it was his first time doing it! He had really flat feet and Liza Minelli showed him how to stretch his feet like ballet dancers do, and he developed strong high arches for dancing. Always thought that was interesting as a ballet dancer :)
And to me, Give In To Me sounds like pent up sexual frustration…an underrated song! Whenever someone says he wasn’t into women, I think uuuhh, give this song a listen!🔥🔥🔥
Exactly. The sexual tension in Give into me is amazing. The rock song is so dark ,and sexual...it is perfect :D
I agree,it totally proves Michael's heterosexuality. The frustration and passion Michael has in his voice is out of this world. It perfectly complements the instrumental of the track . I could talk 4 hours about this masterpiece.
Michael was a f#cking genius( i'm sorry for my language) :)

I don't know if I would go as far as saying 'Give into me' is the proof of Michael's heterosexuality, I also don't care. Though I never thought of the song as representing sexual tension and frustration. I always thought it was anger at some woman who left. I can see it in new light now. Also love the whole black dark getup he had going in the song.

PS: we are far away from the original topic. I think we need a separate Give into me appreciation thread ;):p

I can't remember the source of this, but MJ didn't like Baby Be Mine and wanted to put Hot Street on Thriller instead.

Me again because I have no idea how to do that thing that you all do where you answer 2 separate posts in the same comment. What Ninja skills are these? I've been on the board just over a week and still don't really know what I'm doing. Only just started using emojis about 3 days ago!

Anyway. F&F, are you talking about Motown 25? I love the part where he falls off the toe stand. I mean, I can't remember what I thought about it at the time but I'm guessing the same as now which is, it's fine. It shows he's human! He doesn't always get it right. What it really shows, of course, is a consummate performer who is already so experienced he isn't fazed by a mistake. It is quite a big mistake but he doesn't miss a beat. Even as he's moving away from the spot and adjusting his balance he's totally in the groove. And he never loses his centre of gravity. Watching him move back into being in complete control of his dance is just awesome.

In fact, talking about it is slightly misleading cos it sounds as if I'm saying, 'oh, yes, you can see him really messing up there but we'll be kind and pretend it's OK'. In reality, when I watch that part it almost doesn't register, iyswim. I mean, it does but also doesn't cos of being so swept up in the moment and the emotion of what he's communicating. Is this making sense? I hope so. I know what I'm trying to say but not quite getting there. At the end of that performance the one thing I can guarantee I am NOT thinking about is that one mistake. Michael is the only person who would be focused on that.

I probably should leave it there. I already did a huge mad rant about Motown 25 on another thread. I can't seem to talk about this performance without losing my mind.
Yes Motown 25, and exactly! I totally get what you mean. It was a brief moment showing he was still working on perfecting it, but yet he continued the dance and was electrifying!

Yes Motown 25, and exactly! I totally get what you mean. It was a brief moment showing he was still working on perfecting it, but yet he continued the dance and was electrifying!

Thank you, F&F, you have just straightened out my thinking for me. I've always felt twitchy talking about that Motown 25 moment as a 'mistake' because it felt wrong. It set up all kinds of cognitive dissonance in my mind and now I understand why. It's not so much that we were watching Michael make a mistake; I mean, yes, strictly speaking we were but what we were really watching was a piece of work that was still evolving, still being fine-tuned. That is art and it was a privilege to be able to witness it at that point.

Thank you so much. :)

Thank you, F&F, you have just straightened out my thinking for me. I've always felt twitchy talking about that Motown 25 moment as a 'mistake' because it felt wrong. It set up all kinds of cognitive dissonance in my mind and now I understand why. It's not so much that we were watching Michael make a mistake; I mean, yes, strictly speaking we were but what we were really watching was a piece of work that was still evolving, still being fine-tuned. That is art and it was a privilege to be able to witness it at that point.

Thank you so much. :)
You’re so right, an absolute privilege ☺️❤️

Oh, that's interesting. Can I ask which video is that? Is it online?

I'm not a genius (obvs!) but I can understand what Michael is getting at. The difference between what he can hear and what ends up being created. That does make sense. In the MTV 1999 interview he talks about letting something go when he's happy with it and then says he's never totally satisfied. He's talking about videos there but I'm guessing it applies to the songs as well.

I like to think he did know how amazing his music was or, at the very least, that he was able to enjoy it. Like in the Mexico deposition film footage from 1993, when they start playing the working tape of TGIM, he just starts grooving straightaway. He's totally into it. So cute.

And, yeah, Give In To Me. It's just so ❤️‍🔥

Michael Jackson. Rock star. Legend. Genius.
I saw it on facebook. but yes it's the one posted. Thanks frenzy!

Back