Was Michael Jackson an introvert or an extrovert?

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
This might not be a new topic,but I was simply wondering. As a highly introverted person myself,I can't see Michael as any type of extrovert(as some claim)but I might be simply wrong. Overall I'm just curious,so what do you think?

This might not be a new topic,but I was simply wondering. As a highly introverted person myself,I can't see Michael as any type of extrovert(as some claim)but I might be simply wrong. Overall I'm just curious,so what do you think?
He strikes me as a typical performing artist as in, being shy / introverted / withdrawn offstage but very extrovert and confident onstage. I'm generalising madly, of course. I don't really like to analyse people I never met and I don't have any analytical training anyway. I think what I'm trying to say is, there is no conflict, imo, between being shy or an introvert and being able to perform onstage in front of 80,000 people.

If I had to make a glib assessment I would say Madonna seems very extrovert, Michael seems much more like an introvert.

I didn't know people were saying Michael was extrovert. Must say, I can't see it myself. Quiet and private offstage. Commanding and exuding confidence onstage.

He strikes me as a typical performing artist as in, being shy / introverted / withdrawn offstage but very extrovert and confident onstage. I'm generalising madly, of course. I don't really like to analyse people I never met and I don't have any analytical training anyway. I think what I'm trying to say is, there is no conflict, imo, between being shy or an introvert and being able to perform onstage in front of 80,000 people.

If I had to make a glib assessment I would say Madonna seems very extrovert, Michael seems much more like an introvert.

I didn't know people were saying Michael was extrovert. Must say, I can't see it myself. Quiet and private offstage. Commanding and exuding confidence onstage.
I completely agree. I don't have any analytical training either by the way,that being said overthinking is my favorite hobbie though

Michael Jackson himself stated that he is 2 different people, an on stage guy and an off stage guy.

Off stage, Michael Jackson was a very introvert and reticent guy, and this was confirmed also by sources close to him.

For example, American actor Eddie Murphy revealed that the singer was hiding behind a door in the house of Sammy Davis Jr. during an event that attended also other guests.

The fact that the singer seemed to prefer the company of animals, rather than of real people, also shows his introvert and reticent personality.

This should not be confused with agoraphobia, which is a different thing (Michael Jackson was not agoraphobic).

For me it is conflicting. I can't see how you can be both introverted and extroverted but it seems Michael was both. I just can't grasp how this is possible. Maybe he felt comfortable and safe on stage because that was the one moment during his childhood where everything was under control. There were no beatings during a concert like there were during rehearsals obviously. Perhaps he needed a lot of vocal support and love and he got that on stage or while performing and maybe that is why he felt safe on stage and not nervous (he is one of the very few artist that stated to feel no nerves before performing).
Michael probably realized he was extremely talented otherwise the insecurities he had through his father would translate on stage. The podium was his safe place.

That's my analysis

This is the answer.
As a hugely introverted person myself I have to react to this. For me it is hugely conflicting. In my other post I tried to get into Michael's head and find an explanation for why he is extroverted on stage, it is just a theory.

In my case, I literally feel like dying when the spotlights are on me, even during every day normal human interaction I feel very uncomfortable.

Yea I also agree with you

As a hugely introverted person myself I have to react to this. For me it is hugely conflicting. In my other post I tried to get into Michael's head and find an explanation for why he is extroverted on stage, it is just a theory.

In my case, I literally feel like dying when the spotlights are on me, even during every day normal human interaction I feel very uncomfortable.
Your first post totally nailed it, f&m. I don't know how performing artists are able to do the thing they do, be shy or introvert but also get up and perform in front of people. But so many of them say exactly that in interviews. And I don't think they are saying it to be fashionable. It's been coming up in interviews all my life. I know bc I find it fascinating.

Michael said he felt at home on stage. Lots of musicians over the years have said in interviews that the stage is the only place they feel safe. I do kind of understand it. And I think you're right, the love Michael would feel coming from the audience, that must have something to do with it.

I can tell you that if I was to speak in front of an audience, my knees would be shaking and my voice would be trembling. But when it comes to performing music, then it’s a different matter all together. So that’s a kind of interesting perspective, I think…

Google say that he became an introvert. And I can understand why, I mean he did have a rough childhood (childhood, I love that song) and he was scared of a lot of things. But when he was on stage he was not because the music drives him to be like that. (idk if I said that well) But in conclusion, Michael was an introvert.

I can tell you that if I was to speak in front of an audience, my knees would be shaking and my voice would be trembling. But when it comes to performing music, then it’s a different matter all together. So that’s a kind of interesting perspective, I think…
It is. I don't think I've met anyone who likes public speaking. Many people are able to work out a way to deal with it and even become good at it. But most people loathe even the very idea. There must be people who enjoy it, I've just never met one.

Maybe performers get lost in their craft, maybe it's the adrenalin, maybe it's the excitement ...

It is. I don't think I've met anyone who likes public speaking. Many people are able to work out a way to deal with it and even become good at it. But most people loathe even the very idea. There must be people who enjoy it, I've just never met one.

Maybe performers get lost in their craft, maybe it's the adrenalin, maybe it's the excitement ...
I like to speak publicly. Especially when it's about Michael Jackson :)

Michael probably realized he was extremely talented otherwise the insecurities he had through his father would translate on stage. The podium was his safe place.
That's the thing. He knew what he can do as a performer. He knew his worth. Also he rehearsed. So he had his program to which he would stick to. When he stopped and needed to talk, you could easily see how he somewhat was embarrased and kept it short. If he had doubt in his abilities as a performer, I'm sure he would have had a hard time getting up on that stage. And in a way, I feel that also somewhat happened in the lead up to This is it. Though he did seem confident for the most part.

Most performers keep the public talking short and stick to playing music/singing. There are only few musicians, who really talk much during their shows.

Most performers keep the public talking short and stick to playing music/singing. There are only few musicians, who really talk much during their shows.
No, I meant public speaking as in, having to give a presentation at work or something like that. I think that's what @Agonum was meaning. I know people who can force themselves to do it, just don't know anyone who likes it.

Oh I remember folks in class clearly anticipating speaking in front of class while I was awaiting my turn with a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach. I couldn't even rehearse without getting nervous. I remember how in my head I usually had most of it worked out but once out there nothing of what was in my head came out of my mouth. To this day I don't know how I survived school lol
I can relate and unfortunately much more

No, I meant public speaking as in, having to give a presentation at work or something like that. I think that's what @Agonum was meaning. I know people who can force themselves to do it, just don't know anyone who likes it.
Yeah. But speaking on stage between songs also is public speaking. And most rather stick to do the songs, say the name of the song and say hello and good bye and don't say much else. Then there are some, who are more comfortable and also tell stories and background information in between. But most don't.

Yeah. But speaking on stage between songs also is public speaking. And most rather stick to do the songs, say the name of the song and say hello and good bye and don't say much else. Then there are some, who are more comfortable and also tell stories and background information in between. But most don't.
I'd have to disagree with that. The vast majority of bands I've seen play live were fine talking to their audience. Yeah, there are some who really don't like it or just don't want to do it. I've seen singers practically hiding behind their mike stand. But the majority were relaxed and comfortable doing it. I don't consider talking to an audience 'public speaking' in the sense I was talking about. I meant giving a presentation at work or at school or something horrible like that. Talking to an audience if you are a performing artist, that's just part of the performance. Maybe that's why most of my bands were OK with it. If you're the lead singer in a band you would usually have developed some pretty decent communication skills. There will always be an exception to the rule - Elizabeth Fraser from Cocteau Twins comes to mind - but this isn't something I've seen a lot of.

For me it is conflicting. I can't see how you can be both introverted and extroverted but it seems Michael was both. I just can't grasp how this is possible.
Apparently it is possible.
Taking the (16) Myers-Briggs personalities into account(also known as the "MBTi" or the "MBTI test")people function based on multiple cognitive functions , functions based on their personality type.
Michael apparently has been typed as an "ISFP"(Introverted,Sensing,Feeling and Perceiving/Spontaneous) which means that he was a rather introverted individual who made decisions based on (his own) personal feelings(rather than pure pragmatic,rational/objective logic), while being influenced by his surroundings (rather than his intuition) and also while being influenced by his spontaneous tendencies that he had in his personality.
The "ISFP" personality type itself functions based on 4 functions,and the first 2 are its strongest:
1.Introverted Feeling(Fi)
2. Extraverted Sensing(Se)
3. Introverted Intuition(Ni)
4. Extraverted Thinking(Te)
Basically,as an artist/entertainer,he was able to express his own feelings/emotions through his art(music and performances) which points to him using his Introverted Feeling(Fi),but all of this while being aware that he is being watched by an audience,an audience that is going to react to his music or seeing him perform,therefore he needed to make sure that the fans'expectations are met...and this shows him using his second cognitive function,his Extraverted Sensing(Se).
So at least in my opinion,he was not an introvert and extrovert at the same time,but rather an introvert getting a job done,a job that he knew that he needed to get done,and a job that he knew how to get done.

I'd have to disagree with that. The vast majority of bands I've seen play live were fine talking to their audience. Yeah, there are some who really don't like it or just don't want to do it. I've seen singers practically hiding behind their mike stand. But the majority were relaxed and comfortable doing it. I don't consider talking to an audience 'public speaking' in the sense I was talking about. I meant giving a presentation at work or at school or something horrible like that. Talking to an audience if you are a performing artist, that's just part of the performance. Maybe that's why most of my bands were OK with it. If you're the lead singer in a band you would usually have developed some pretty decent communication skills. There will always be an exception to the rule - Elizabeth Fraser from Cocteau Twins comes to mind - but this isn't something I've seen a lot of.
I've been to over 600 concerts in my life. And at most of them, other than announcing a song here and there, they don't really talk.

Michael apparently has been typed as an "ISFP"
ISFP is a pretty quiet type that probably prefers to observe people instead of engaging conversations. Private about their own feelings, but passionate about the things they value. They are pretty practical, not really enjoying certain discussions other people would enjoy. These are probably exhausting and a waste of time for them.

So I see Michael being pretty open and passionate about his projects. Curious about business/professional things and probably curious about the lives of other people. Energized by engaging in these kind of topics.

So at least in my opinion, he was not an introvert and extrovert at the same time, but rather an introvert getting a job done, a job that he knew that he needed to get done, and a job that he knew how to get done.
I agree 🙏 What also comes into play are probably the Enneagram types 3 and 4.

I think he became more extraverted over the years. In OTW era he was painfully shy, and tbh, a little socially awkward in some ways. But he might have played it up in some ways, a guy that smooth can't also help but be super cool.

By the 2000s and with the advent of fatherhood, he was definitely way more knowledgeable, conversational, and outspoken. In the 90s he definitely met the most people though.

I've been to over 600 concerts in my life. And at most of them, other than announcing a song here and there, they don't really talk.
So I guess we have to agree to disagree on this. In my adult life I went to in excess of 3,000 gigs and that's not counting the ones I went to as a teenager. And that's just the shows I went to. That's not the number of bands I saw since every gig had at least two, and often three, bands on the bill. The vast majority of bands that I saw, I didn't see significant levels of discomfort in engaging with the audience. Maybe now and again with a band right at the start of their career but, otherwise, no.

But it doesn't matter. We've had different experiences, we have a different view on this.

So at least in my opinion,he was not an introvert and extrovert at the same time,but rather an introvert getting a job done,a job that he knew that he needed to get done,and a job that he knew how to get done.
That's a pretty good summation, imo, of being an introvert. It's not that you can't do certain things. It's more, there are certain things you HAVE to get done and you have to learn how to navigate your way around challenging situations. Michael had so many years of training to fall back on. I think that's where a lot of his skill in dealing with this comes from.

I agree 🙏 What also comes into play are probably the Enneagram types 3 and 4.
I've never been able to figure out how the Myers-Briggs and the Enneagram thing sit alongside each other. I haven't read anything on either of them for years but I remember getting confused by that.

I do think being an introvert fluctuates across a person's day or life. How much your introversion gets in the way of what you have to do depends on the specific thing you're facing. I can't do public speaking but I am very assertive in staff meetings.

Back