Was Strawberry Fields Forever Recorded?

Michael Jackson never recorded a cover version of the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' song.

Also, sound engineers and producers who worked with him never said anything about a 'Strawberry Fields Forever' cover recorded by him.

They also have no knowledge about such a cover (recorded by Michael Jackson) when fans asked them about that during their seminars.

Michael Jackson acted on Bill Bottrell's advice, who advised the singer that they should focus on recording only one Beatles song ('Come Together').

"During the Bad [album] sessions, Michael asked me to drive him home to Westwood one night. During the drive, we played lots of Beatles songs he had compiled on a tape, he was pretty interested in my opinion, and I told him we should pick Come Together" (Bill Bottrell, Gearspace.com, 2009)

The story that Michael Jackson recorded a cover version of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' emanated from an article of the last issue of the Black And White Magazine (French edition).

That article later proved to be a hoax (they also published a fake artwork of the 'Decade' album in the same article).

I once read that Brad Sundberg said he did remember Strawberry Fields Forever to be one of many projects that was presented to Michael... so may be that is what it was: an idea someone presented, but Michael never gave a follow up to it?

I wish Michael recorded Strawberry Fields Forever instead of Come Together. The former is such a better song than the latter, in my opinion.

Someone hear posted the full version of Come Together the other day - and though I really like the song I would have LOVED to hear MJ do Strawberry Fields Forever - or Yesterday (I imagine him singing it a bit like Much Too Soon), Let It Be, Get Back, Hey Jude.

I know MJ was propably way too big to cover other artist and should he choose to do so he would propably not choose their biggest hits but still, would have been so great to hear MJ's take on some of these songs.

I think he did “yesterday” on a couple of the early Jackson 5 tours. Could be wrong though, there is no footage of it.

I think he did “yesterday” on a couple of the early Jackson 5 tours. Could be wrong though, there is no footage of it.
Don’t know about that but they did perform Let It Be in 1970 and 1974.

According to this link they performed “yesterday” at least twice in 1970 on their first national tour, so they probably performed it even more. Some really awesome setlists they did on this tour. Would love to see young Michael perform James Brown’s “ there was a time” which was an early concert staple for them.

As much as I would love to hear Yesterday from 1970, imaginge hearing adult MJ singing it, maybe Dangerous/HIStory era vocals. - That would be amazing.

And just so there’s no doubt in anybody’s mind about it: In this clip, Suzanne De Passe is telling the brothers the setlist for their show and Yesterday does, indeed, come up at 0:09.

Back