Was the song Dangerous supposed to get a short film?

Electro;4297519 said:
Found two more MJ - Lynch connections...

The wheelchair guy in the "Who Is It" video is Ian Buchanan, one of the actors in Twin Peaks.

tumblr-mrrdh1-FUCT1sf8iqvo6-r1-640.jpg

[video=youtube;PUbD80fFEog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUbD80fFEog[/video]

And maybe a little random, but:

40370165-2237052726365141-1594403250252021760-n.jpg

Backwards-talking little guy from Twin Peaks vs BOTDF cover. :D

Electro;4297502 said:
A NY Times article from 2018 with David Lynch talking about his MJ collaboration:

‘Dangerous’

In 1991, Lynch directed a 30-second teaser trailer for Michael Jackson’s album “Dangerous.” Opening with the very Lynchian image of fluttering red curtains, it concludes with Jackson’s head in a floating bubble. Jackson expressed great interest in the topic of Lynch’s 1980 film, “The Elephant Man.”

I’m in the living room in L.A. and my phone rings and there’s Michael Jackson on the phone, telling me he wants me to do some kind of trailer for his album “Dangerous.” I said, “I don’t know if I can do it; I don’t have any ideas for it,” but as soon as I hang up and started walking toward the hall, all these ideas came up. I called back and said, “I got some ideas,” and I worked on that with John Dykstra in his studio.

We built this miniature world that was a red room with a little teeny door, and in the room were these weird modern-shaped wooden trees and a mound with silver fluid that was going to erupt in flames and then reveal Michael Jackson’s face. It was stop-action, and it took a long time to do. For me, things don’t have to be so exact, but these people working on it plotted it out to the nth degree. The trees were lacquered red or black and the people who went in to move them wore white gloves and moved them along this precisely marked-out route.

That was one part of the thing. The other part was shooting Michael’s face, and we had a camera rig for that with a circle of lights that created this fantastic look of focus with no shadows. All Michael had to do was stand in one place for a few minutes, but he was in makeup for eight or ten hours. How could someone be in makeup for ten hours? It’s someone very critical about their looks. Finally he was ready and he came out and I met him for the first time and all he wanted to do was talk about the Elephant Man. He tried to buy the bones and the cloak and all his stuff from the museum and he asked me questions about it and was a really nice guy. Then he stood there and we shot it and one minute later he was done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/arts/television/david-lynch-room-to-dream.html

And while we're at it... some more photos from that shoot I found so far.
(Only showing Michael unfortunately).

rare1.jpg

76363-1227402861825-1731678178-412377-742176-n.jpg

23077265.jpg

63539263.jpg

Anyone got more? :)

Electro;4296890 said:
Maybe it's because I'm a huge Lynch fan, but I see some Lynchy inspirations, for example...

The Pepsi "Dreams" commercial has a bit of a Twin Peaks feel.

The Dangerous demo (at the end from 5:50)
https://youtu.be/57Em6_eoTac?t=350
...includes the melody / harmonie from one of the reoccurring themes in the Twin Peaks score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUt7wPe8Ow
(The one that's also sampled in Moby's "Go")

Michael's Kirara Basso commercial always reminded me of Lynch's "Dune" movie.

[video=youtube;Nx8I53orF40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8I53orF40[/video]

I wish they had done more together...

MJ-David-Lynch.jpg

Wow. I didn't know all of this. thanks for some of the history of this. goes to show you Michael was a big Lynch fan as well.

What a compliment that must be, to have the most famous man on earth, acting like a fan around you.

A NY Times article from 2018 with David Lynch talking about his MJ collaboration:

‘Dangerous’

In 1991, Lynch directed a 30-second teaser trailer for Michael Jackson’s album “Dangerous.” Opening with the very Lynchian image of fluttering red curtains, it concludes with Jackson’s head in a floating bubble. Jackson expressed great interest in the topic of Lynch’s 1980 film, “The Elephant Man.”

I’m in the living room in L.A. and my phone rings and there’s Michael Jackson on the phone, telling me he wants me to do some kind of trailer for his album “Dangerous.” I said, “I don’t know if I can do it; I don’t have any ideas for it,” but as soon as I hang up and started walking toward the hall, all these ideas came up. I called back and said, “I got some ideas,” and I worked on that with John Dykstra in his studio.

We built this miniature world that was a red room with a little teeny door, and in the room were these weird modern-shaped wooden trees and a mound with silver fluid that was going to erupt in flames and then reveal Michael Jackson’s face. It was stop-action, and it took a long time to do. For me, things don’t have to be so exact, but these people working on it plotted it out to the nth degree. The trees were lacquered red or black and the people who went in to move them wore white gloves and moved them along this precisely marked-out route.

That was one part of the thing. The other part was shooting Michael’s face, and we had a camera rig for that with a circle of lights that created this fantastic look of focus with no shadows. All Michael had to do was stand in one place for a few minutes, but he was in makeup for eight or ten hours. How could someone be in makeup for ten hours? It’s someone very critical about their looks. Finally he was ready and he came out and I met him for the first time and all he wanted to do was talk about the Elephant Man. He tried to buy the bones and the cloak and all his stuff from the museum and he asked me questions about it and was a really nice guy. Then he stood there and we shot it and one minute later he was done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/arts/television/david-lynch-room-to-dream.html
omg, only just caught up with this now! Film is not my thing but was big into Twin Peaks back in the day. Michael working on a project with David Lynch would have been awesome. Love that little teaser video clip. 😲

If David Lynch directed Michael Jackson's life story​

Jim Emerson November 03, 2009

Steven Boone at Big Media Vandalism has composed a mesmerizing collage (OK, montage) using text from Jackson's 1988 biography "Moonwalk," audio interviews with MJ, and footage from some of Lynch's films, notably "The Elephant Man," "Mulholland Dr.," "The Straight Story," "The Grandmother" and "Eraserhead" to imagine a biography of Michael Jackson directed by David Lynch. He calls it "Notes for a David Lynch adaptation of Moonwalk."

Boone writes:

It all comes down to what you believe, because none of us knew the man....

I believe David Lynch is the filmmaker who should make the inevitable MOONWALK movie. Lynch's capacity for empathy; his ability to describe alienation, suffering and loneliness in spiritual, visual terms; his American ear; his understanding of corporate show business as a place where dreams are nourished with candied arsenic... make Lynch the best equipped among marquee-value auteurs to say something vital about Michael's life and death.

😲 The idea of a David Lynch - directed film of Michael's life. Just ... Wow!!!

I wish Mike had never signed that 1-billion $ contract with Sony in 1991 in the first place. He should have made Dangerous with Quincy.

I wish Mike had never signed that 1-billion $ contract with Sony in 1991 in the first place. He should have made Dangerous with Quincy.
I can't imagine Dangerous under the Quincy treatment and I think Michael was definitely ready to move on. So I'm fine with him working with other producers. But the record deal is a whole separate thing. I was never happy about that Sony deal. Not saying I'm clairvoyant or anything. And I definitely don't have the business brain that Michael had. I sure as heck could not see how things were going to pan out. But I was uneasy about it right from the start.

I can't imagine Dangerous under the Quincy treatment and I think Michael was definitely ready to move on. So I'm fine with him working with other producers. But the record deal is a whole separate thing. I was never happy about that Sony deal. Not saying I'm clairvoyant or anything. And I definitely don't have the business brain that Michael had. I sure as heck could not see how things were going to pan out. But I was uneasy about it right from the start.
I still think MJ had found the magic recipe with Quincy. He broke something that worked very well. Quincy will be remembered as a classic and a maestro compared to Teddy Riley. If something ain't broken...

Quincy Jones had signed a 3-record deal with Michael Jackson ('Off The Wall', 'Thriller', 'BAD').

So, it was meant from the very beginning that they would part ways after the release of the third album.

The decision for choosing Teddy Riley (as the next producer for the 'Dangerous' album) came from Michael Jackson's camp.

They wanted a producer very conversant with a street sound in order Michael Jackson not to become (musically) irrelevant during the emergence of young, hip-hop artists.

Ok, this is the first time I'm hearing about this David Lynch thing and it just blows my mind.
To have my favourite entertainer being paired up with my favourite filmmaker is like...ughhh...I can't even...blarrgghhhh

I'm chocking on my own excitement!!

Michael really did work with the best talent from all over the world. He brought everyone together, he was like superglue or something.

Ok, this is the first time I'm hearing about this David Lynch thing and it just blows my mind.
Same. My head just about exploded into outer space. The number of times I've seen that photo of them together! Didn't recognise David Lynch. I need to see his hair to know it's him, lol.

To have my favourite entertainer being paired up with my favourite filmmaker is like...ughhh...I can't even...blarrgghhhh
I haven't seen any of David Lynch's films since film is not really my thing. I did love Twin Peaks first time around. Didn't see the film or watch the 2017 3rd series. But, omg, those first two series ... awesome! You knew you were in the presence of greatness. More than that, David Lynch's mindset meeting up with Michael's mindset ... oh, you'd be wanting to see that for sure. 😲

I'm chocking on my own excitement!!
:ROFLMAO:

Michael really did work with the best talent from all over the world.
This was more or less my first thought once I came across this. Of course, we know he only ever worked with the best. We know this. But there was something about this collab that really just felt like ... I dunno. Next level? OK, maybe not next level when you've already worked with Spielberg and Scorsese. But it really did feel like some whole other level of 'awesome'. My frustration is currently blowing the walls to smithereens!

He brought everyone together, he was like superglue or something.
He really did. He was a like a Renaissance man and loads of artists and creatives just coalesced around him.

Last edited:
To have my favourite entertainer being paired up with my favourite filmmaker is like...ughhh...I can't even...blarrgghhh

Maybe it's because I'm a huge Lynch fan, but I see some Lynchy inspirations, for example...

The Pepsi "Dreams" commercial has a bit of a Twin Peaks feel.

The Dangerous demo (at the end from 5:50)
...includes the melody / harmonie from one of the reoccurring themes in the Twin Peaks score.
(The one that's also sampled in Moby's "Go")

Michael's Kirara Basso commercial always reminded me of Lynch's "Dune" movie.
P.S. Don't know if you saw this upthread. I'm gonna check out these ideas. See what I think. Could be fun. Probably not the 'Dune' thing but the other suggestions, I'm intrigued.

Well, Angelo Badalamenti, the guy who wrote most of Lynch's music, is an incredible composer.
Talent attracts talent, I'm not surprised Michael was a fan.
Still, extremely cool to find out about this.

Also, I wonder...with all the street talent we see today, where people make wonders using cheap MIDI controllers and garage musicians having awesome Youtube content...you think Michael would draft a talent here and there?

Michael was fantastic with or without Quincy Jones. Yes they've made absolutely fantastic work together, and the best-selling album of all time to boot, but Michael certainly didn't  need him. Dangerous is my favorite MJ album and it was his first adult album without Quincy. There's nothing wrong with artists expanding their horizons and working with different people over time, I think it's only natural.

Well, Angelo Badalamenti, the guy who wrote most of Lynch's music, is an incredible composer.
Oh, thank you for that. I had forgotten the composer's name. I can remember his music easily enough, just not his name.

I agree. The score for the original Twin Peaks was one of the highlights. I mean, the whole goddamn thing was one awesome highlight after another, obvs, but the music was *such* a big part of why the whole thing worked so well and was SO memorable. A match made in heaven, Lynch and Badalamenti. 🥰

Talent attracts talent, I'm not surprised Michael was a fan.
Exactly. And there was nothing conventional about Michael or his cultural or artistic tastes. He was adventurous, for sure.

Still, extremely cool to find out about this.
In spite of the off-the-chart levels of frustration, I can't tell you how happy I am now that I know about this.

Also, I wonder...with all the street talent we see today, where people make wonders using cheap MIDI controllers and garage musicians having awesome Youtube content...you think Michael would draft a talent here and there?
I never really considered that but, yeah, why not? I could see that happening. I've already had fantasies about Yoann Bomal doing a little film or documentary about / with Michael. This can be my new fantasy, lol.

I’m not that adventurous as a filmfan so my fave Lynch film is “the straight story”.The soundtrack by Badalamenti for that film is all time top 10 material!
Worst one “dune”

PS the album “floating into the night“ by Julee Cruise is produced by Lynch and Badalamenti, heavily inspired by the twin peaks soundtrack and eternally mysterious and beautiful.

Last edited:
I still think MJ had found the magic recipe with Quincy.
I do agree with this. The chemistry, the 'recipe', as you say, was damn near perfect. But I would add, for that time. For that phase of Michael's career.

He broke something that worked very well.
Here I'd have to disagree. I'm not sure I'd say Michael 'broke' anything. He was just doing what artists always do, he was moving on.

Quincy will be remembered as a classic and a maestro compared to Teddy Riley.
Now that I do agree with. Teddy can't compete with Quincy's CV. Quincy would be a chapter in the book of music, Teddy would be a footnote.

If something ain't broken...
Mm, well, I dunno. Maybe it wasn't *broken*, exactly, but that's no reason for Michael not to move on. If Michael had wanted to continue working with Quincy a new contract would have been sorted easily enough. But Michael was an artist and they never wanna do what they have already done. They always want to move on.

I’m not that adventurous as a filmfan so my fave Lynch film is “the straight story”.The soundtrack by Badalamenti for that film is all time top 10 material!
Oh, sounds good. I'll have to check that out.
Worst one “dune”
So I've heard.
PS the album “floating into the night“ by Julee Cruise is produced by Lynch and Badalamenti, heavily inspired by the twin peaks soundtrack and eternally mysterious and beautiful.
Oh, I vaguely remember this. Another one to chase down!

Couldn't disagree more - Michael ended the QJ relationship at the perfect time.

There would never have been a Dangerous if Michael had stayed with Quincy
But if Mike had listened to QJ, there'd be at least one hip hop song with Run DMC already on Bad album. QJ wasn't outdated, he knew perfectly well his job. And who knows, maybe Dangerous or another post-Bad album would have been another Thriller. We'll never know.

Also, if both Prince and MJ listened to QJ they would have a duet that many still can't believe it didn't happen.

Mm, well, I dunno. Maybe it wasn't *broken*, exactly, but that's no reason for Michael not to move on. If Michael had wanted to continue working with Quincy a new contract would have been sorted easily enough. But Michael was an artist and they never wanna do what they have already done. They always want to move on.
But MJ did do on Dangerous what he had already done: who is it = billie jean, give in to me = dirty diana, etc. He added some hip hop for the first time, sth QJ had suggested probably in 1985-1986 with the song Crack Kills. Mike was a genious, but let's face it, he missed an opportunity there end 80s beginning 90s.

But MJ did do on Dangerous what he had already done: who is it = billie jean, give in to me = dirty diana, etc. He added some hip hop for the first time, sth QJ had suggested probably in 1985-1986 with the song Crack Kills.
Uh huh. Fair point.

Mike was a genious, but let's face it, he missed an opportunity there end 80s beginning 90s.
I think I'm gonna go with - it's complicated! :D

Re Michael and Prince recording together, not bothered. I'm not mad keen on duets or collabs, generally, but that one I def don't think would have worked no matter what song they did. Otoh, a collab between Michael and Run DMC - mm, yeah, I could get into that. That is def a missed opportunity. I was just refreshing my memory with this:

Last edited:
Uh huh. Fair point.

I think I'm gonna go with - it's complicated! :D

Re Michael and Prince recording together, not bothered. I'm not mad keen on duets or collabs, generally, but that one I def don't think would have worked no matter what song they did. Otoh, a collab between Michael and Run DMC - mm, yeah, I could get into that. That is def a missed opportunity. I was just refreshing my memory with this:

On Reddit I recently saw a post suggesting the idea of a song written and produced by Prince, but with Michael as the performer. Not as a duet, at most with Prince on backing vocals. Honestly, that would've been pretty neat I think. 🤔 I'm not even a Prince "fan" and don't closely follow his stuff, but I respect his musicianship a lot. And I think it might've worked pretty well with Michael, too. Maybe others might disagree LOL but I found the idea interesting at least.

I know you definitely disagree, of course. 🤣

On Reddit I recently saw a post suggesting the idea of a song written and produced by Prince, but with Michael as the performer. Not as a duet, at most with Prince on backing vocals. Honestly, that would've been pretty neat I think. 🤔 I'm not even a Prince "fan" and don't closely follow his stuff, but I respect his musicianship a lot. And I think it might've worked pretty well with Michael, too. Maybe others might disagree LOL but I found the idea interesting at least.

I know you definitely disagree, of course. 🤣
Fun fact: that nearly became a reality. According to the book "Man In the Music" by Joe Vogel, Prince offered up his song "Wouldn't You Love To Love Me" to Michael after he rejected a part in "Bad," but MJ chose not to record it. I don't know if it would've been solo or a duet, but that would be quite the interesting sight if it did go through either way.

Back