Was there gonna be an album in 2003?

Spaceship

Proud Member
Back in 2003, shortly after "Xscape" got leaked, there were also rumors of a new album called "Resurrection" coming out. But why would a new album come out at the same time as Number Ones? Did they just cancel the new album in favor of a compilation with one new song?

I don't think there was gonna be another album, but I keep seeing some people say that there was gonna be one.

Last edited:
No, MJ was planning a comeback that would have started with the release of the One More Chance music video. He then would have went into movie related projects. There were no albums, or traditional new music in that regard iirc, planned really.

Last edited:
i think there might have been then he got arrested on the allegations so it stopped everything

As I remember, MJ planned to release a new album in 2006 for a long.... really long time! But in 2006 he realized, that it's not ready yet, so he continued to work, planning to release first single "Hold My Hand" in 2010, wih a whole new album, as soon as all singles would be out...

i think there might have been then he got arrested on the allegations so it stopped everything
2005 years is very important time in MJ's life. Point of no return. In 2005 Invincible Era finally ended. In 2005 all Michael's plannes for new album got messed up. In 2005 he started transforming himself into TII Michael... I don't really like this year... It ruined a lot of things in Michael's life....
merlin_149993034_6c8bd7bc-8a38-4f7c-8696-dcb19800ef58-superJumbo.jpg

Back in 2003, shortly after "Xscape" got leaked, there were also rumors of a new album called "Resurrection" coming out. But why would a new album come out at the same time as Number Ones? Did they just cancel the new album in favor of a compilation with one new song?

I don't think there was gonna be another album, but I keep seeing some people say that there was gonna be one.
The so-called 'Resurrection' album in 2003 was a fake album, which was made up by some fans at that time.

After 'Invincible', Michael Jackson actually started working on a new album in 2005 (in Bahrain).

Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa had already built a brand new, technologically advanced recording studio for him, and he asked him to begin working on his new album there.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa had been in talks with the singer even during the trial, when they were tentatively discussing the making of his new album.

John Barnes and Bill Bottrell also travelled to Bahrain to help the singer with his new album.
As I remember, MJ planned to release a new album in 2006 for a long.... really long time! But in 2006 he realized, that it's not ready yet, so he continued to work, planning to release first single "Hold My Hand" in 2010, wih a whole new album, as soon as all singles would be out...
English record executive Guy Holmes (who was also involved in the making of that new album) stated that Michael Jackson's physical and mental health at the time was the reason as to why the making of the new album eventually fell through:

"Michael was sitting behind a cloth curtain. You couldn't really see him. And so I walked out of the meeting and said, 'Tell him to fuck off'... He basically was skin and bones after the court case, and I think that's what it was. He was ashamed of the way he looked" (Guy Holmes)

Michael Jackson did not attend important meetings (in Bahrain) that had to do with his new album, let alone start writing and recording new songs.

"Michael was sitting behind a cloth curtain. You couldn't really see him. And so I walked out of the meeting and said, 'Tell him to fuck off'... He basically was skin and bones after the court case, and I think that's what it was. He was ashamed of the way he looked" (Guy Holmes)
If he really said that, I would break his face into peace of meat and then break it again and again till it turn into "skin and bones"

Mid to late 2000's, he was working on 2 albums. It was reported he was working on the follow up to Invincible (there's video footage of him in the studio working being interviewed by Fox News), and also he had interest in making an instrumental/orchestra type album like Beethoven, Bach, etc.

In 2002 2003 he work on some songs : One more chance with R Kelly, All in your name, some songs with Rodney Jerkins like Xscape or Pressure. But there was no album concept at all

In 2002 2003 he work on some songs : One more chance with R Kelly, All in your name, some songs with Rodney Jerkins like Xscape or Pressure. But there was no album concept at all
Wait. He never worked with Jerkins after Invincible sessions.... He never returned to Xscape since 1999 :/

Jerkins and his team continued modifying "Xscape" up to 2001 or 2002. Does anybody know if it was considered for the Ultimate Collection?

Dunno if MJ actually revisited the song himself, but back in late December 2002, many sites reported that he had just put the finishing touches on the song. This was when the leak was beginning to circulate and a few weeks later, it was widespread.

Last edited:
Jerkins and his team continued modifying "Xscape" up to 2001 and 2002.
Without Michael.... Michael never touched it since 1999. And on Xscape album we get 1999 version, right? 2002 version exists but never seen

Jerkins and his team continued modifying "Xscape" up to 2001 or 2002. Does anybody know if it was considered for the Ultimate Collection?
It was.
"Chicago 1945” was a contender for The Ultimate Collection, actually. As were “Get Your Weight Off Me” and “Xscape”.
Wait. He never worked with Jerkins after Invincible sessions....
Wrong. They were still working together in 2007.

"Xscape" definitely should have been on the Ultimate Collection in 2004. Song had leaked in low quality just one year prior to good reception, so there was momentum for us to be released in decent quality.

Big shame the original version still hasn't been released in good quality yet.

"Xscape" definitely should have been on the Ultimate Collection in 2004. Song had leaked in low quality just one year prior to good reception, so there was momentum for us to be released in decent quality.

It was released in 2014...

They went through all of his stuff for TUC. You could say it was all considered tbh.

MJ wanted nothing to do with the song after it leaked. He disavowed every demo he couldn't finish that ended up on the Internet at least. Kinda ironic since most songs from the ultimate collection was on his bedroom list of songs to finish.

Didn't "Carousel" leak in the 90s before it was featured on Thriller Special Edition in 2001

A few Thriller tunes leaked, that's different though cause MJ wasn't gonna bring back an old 80s tune like that.

He would bring back a 90s tune and say it was an 80s tune, actually.

A few Thriller tunes leaked, that's different though cause MJ wasn't gonna bring back an old 80s tune like that.

"Best of Joy" was first written in 1982 as "The Toy" and he kept working on it until the year he died

"Best of Joy" was first written in 1982 as "The Toy" and he kept working on it until the year he died
Plenty of 80s tunes progressed to the 90s and beyond. Songs that came and never progressed past Bad era, again, not the same.

Back