Was there gonna be an album in 2003?

Wait. He never worked with Jerkins after Invincible sessions.... He never returned to Xscape since 1999 :/

Damien Shields wrote MJ and Jerkins work after the release of Invincible : they work on Escape in tve end of 2001/2002. And probably on other songs like The Pain

So MJ didn't want to release "Xscape" because it got leaked but he let "Beautiful Girl", "In the Back" and "The Way You Love Me" be released as unfinished demos

Makes no sense lol. Why would a so-called perfectionist like MJ want to release unfinished demos over a song that was actually complete like "Xscape"? It was leaked, so people didn't hear it in the way that he had intended, but how is an unfinished demo any better? It's not like MJ actually wanted people to hear his songs as unfinished demos, did he? And he still planned to work on "Hold My Hand" after it was leaked, so I'm pretty sure he didn't think like that. @Mister_Jay_Tee

Last edited:
So MJ didn't want to release "Xscape" because it got leaked but he let "Beautiful Girl", "In the Back" and "The Way You Love Me" be released as unfinished demos

Makes no sense lol. Why would a so-called perfectionist like MJ want to release unfinished demos over a song that was actually complete like "Xscape"? It was leaked, so people didn't hear it in the way that he had intended, but how is an unfinished demo any better? It's not like MJ actually wanted people to hear his songs as unfinished demos, did he? And he still planned to work on "Hold My Hand" after it was leaked, so I'm pretty sure he didn't think like that. @Mister_Jay_Tee
In my opinion it's all because of SONY! Stupid company...

As I recalled: mj once said I owe sony one more project and that is TUC. As he was furious due the sony-case, he gave unfinished stuff (in his mind the crappy songs that wouldnt make much money). As I recall he said this in an video interview. Long time ago.

Thats why we got those songs, none of those songs were a hit. So he was glad. Only cheater they played a few times on the radio, but it wasnt a big value hit for sony. Correct me if i’m wrong.

MJ was busy with the trial whilst TUC was being made. All he did was look at the final tracklist.

As I recalled: mj once said I owe sony one more project and that is TUC. As he was furious due the sony-case, he gave unfinished stuff (in his mind the crappy songs that wouldnt make much money). As I recall he said this in an video interview. Long time ago.

Thats why we got those songs, none of those songs were a hit. So he was glad. Only cheater they played a few times on the radio, but it wasnt a big value hit for sony. Correct me if i’m wrong.
No, MJ was not referring to TUC in that speech. TUC was a new project not related to previous stuff.

According to Dietner Wiesner, Michael was in fact working on album for a 2004 release but the allegations came in and the project was cancelled. He also confirmed Wonderful World Of Candy a duet with Nisha Kataria, was going to be on that album as well. Michael was working on many songs during 2003 - 2004. Wonderful World Of Candy, I Am A Loser, Days In Gloucestershire, Adore You, Rocker, & If I Were To Wish are some well known ones. Xscape was most likely going to be on there too because he was planning on throwing that onto his next album as well.

According to Dietner Wiesner, Michael was in fact working on album for a 2004 release but the allegations came in and the project was cancelled. He also confirmed Wonderful World Of Candy a duet with Nisha Kataria, was going to be on that album as well. Michael was working on many songs during 2003 - 2004. Wonderful World Of Candy, I Am A Loser, Days In Gloucestershire, Adore You, Rocker, & If I Were To Wish are some well known ones. Xscape was most likely going to be on there too because he was planning on throwing that onto his next album as well.
I still can't understand, why MJ so entirely changed his plans for his next album... I mean, he had one concept for album in 2003-2004, but after 2005 his concep fully changed.... no more Xscape and Blue Gangsta, now he wanted to make songs like H20, Dark Lady, Hold My Hand... Seems like after court, Michael's musical vision fully changed. And he decided to make more peaceful and calm album (without provocative songs)....

MJ was wrong, as far as I understand, he owed Sony 3 albums/music collections: Number Ones, TUC and Thriller 25. Only after T25 he was finally free

I still can't understand, why MJ so entirely changed his plans for his next album... I mean, he had one concept for album in 2003-2004, but after 2005 his concep fully changed.... no more Xscape and Blue Gangsta, now he wanted to make songs like H20, Dark Lady, Hold My Hand... Seems like after court, Michael's musical vision fully changed. And he decided to make more peaceful and calm album (without provocative songs)....
He's an artist, an artist does what their creative minds come up with, and that was the creative route he chose to take. Maybe it was a good decision, maybe it was a bad decision. All I know is that id love me some Brad Buxer/MJ collab grooves from that era.

It's quite the opposite! The main thing MJ wanted from producers at that time was fresh and hard sounds. Songs like D.I.E, Broken Chair, Rocker and Think Twice are proof of that since they're described as edgy, hard songs. Even the calmer songs like Adore You and Boy No are described as sounding somber. To me it always seemed like MJ wanted to bring back the edgy sound from HIStory/BOTDF for his new album.

It's quite the opposite! The main thing MJ wanted from producers at that time was fresh and hard sounds. Songs like D.I.E, Broken Chair, Rocker and Think Twice are proof of that since they're described as edgy, hard songs. Even the calmer songs like Adore You and Boy No are described as sounding somber. To me it always seemed like MJ wanted to bring back the edgy sound from HIStory/BOTDF for his new album.
Days in Gloucestershire, The Loser, Beautiful Girl, Hold My Hand, Water - are quietly peaceful songs... The point is that most songs, MJ planned, were pretty calm

You are mostly right, and probably correct about MJ giving Sony second rate material.

The ‘exit’ deal included two releases : i. Number 1s project with one or two new songs ii. Ultimate Collection with an agreed quota of ‘unreleased’ materials.

There was also a clause prohibiting new material being released until the above came out, so there is zero credibility to rumours of MJ planning a 2003 album of his own away from Sony.

Last edited:
I actually wonder if MJ was in a position to seriously work on much music between 2002 and 2003 even if he wanted to. After all, he had no label and financial issues too. And who was his management team back then? Sadly, he seemed quite lost in the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
No label, financial issues... no problem. Hire a decent pianist, drummer and guitarist, record in your home studio and make some organic simple acoustic music.

I doubt he was making music without planning to do another album tbh.. Yes he said he wanted to focus on movies and special projects but most of the stuff he worked on after Invincible sounds like songs for another studio album/albums

Back