What are MJ’s ten most popular songs that he NEVER performed live?

It's all gonna be subjective because Michael performed all his biggest hits live (or lip synced) them other some of the singles on Dangerous, aka remember the time(award show only), give in to me, who is it.

As a pure Michael Jackson fan and one who loves live singing, it's a travesty than he never performed The lady in my life.

It was only album track but many people love it.

I have no interest in an Unbreakable performance that is lip synced to death, ultra boring.

Are we excluding J5 stuff?

Ok, I've got the following. This is not in order.

1. Doctor My Eyes
  2. Walk Right Now
  3. Ain't No Sunshine
  4. We're Almost There
  5. One Day In Your Life
  6. Get On The Floor
  7. I Can't Help It
  8. Burn This Disco Out
  9. Who Is It
  10. Give In To Me
  11. Keep The Faith
  12. Gone Too Soon
I gave 12, just in case the two in italics are disallowed (I think they were sung once or twice).

The Girl Is Mine
P.Y.T
Say Say Say
State of Shock
Liberian Girl
Who Is It
Give In To Me
Childhood (Yeah, technically)
Unbreakable
Butterflies

And that's just what he's put out during his life obviously.

1. Doctor My Eyes
  2. Walk Right Now
  3. Ain't No Sunshine
  4. We're Almost There
  5. One Day In Your Life
  6. Get On The Floor
  7. I Can't Help It
  8. Burn This Disco Out
  9. Who Is It
  10. Give In To Me
  11. Keep The Faith
  12. Gone Too Soon
I gave 12, just in case the two in italics are disallowed (I think they were sung once or twice).
2, 4, 5, and 12 have all been performed live.

He should have performed Get On The Floor & Liberian Girl

More than ten, but these spring to mind:

The Girl Is Mine
P.Y.T.
Say Say Say
Somebody’s Watching Me
State Of Shock
Torture
Leave Me Alone
Liberian Girl
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Ghosts
Butterflies
Cry
One More Chance

1. Doctor My Eyes
  2. Walk Right Now
  3. Ain't No Sunshine
  4. We're Almost There
  5. One Day In Your Life
  6. Get On The Floor
  7. I Can't Help It
  8. Burn This Disco Out
  9. Who Is It
  10. Give In To Me
  11. Keep The Faith
  12. Gone Too Soon
Doctor my eyes, walk right now, ain’t no sunshine, one day in your life were all in the setlists in the 70s. We’re almost there very likely too but yet to be confirmed.

The Girl Is Mine
PYT
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Keep The Faith
Childhood
Speechless
Whatever Happens
Unbreakable
We’ve Had Enough

'Give In To Me' could be a nice follow up to the 'Dirty Diana' performance imo (more tracks from the Dangerous album on the 'Dangerous World Tour' would be cool anyway)

He could even have done a small throwback lol: 'Cause I'm on fireee, Dirty Diannaaa'

as much as I love ‘somebody’s watching me’, and as much as it was a big hit, michael only sang the chorus on that. it might’ve worked in a ‘thriller’ mashup with ‘heartbreak hotel’ thrown in though🤔

I think ‘say say say’ could have been performed solo. the 2015 version had michael singing most of it anyway.
michael sang a line of ‘state of shock’ during ‘shake your body (down to the ground)’ on the ‘victory’ tour. that was enough for me 🫣

farewell my summer love’ was a hit when it was released in ‘84 (at least in the uk 🇬🇧). it would have been a nice surprise if it appeared in in the Motown medley 💡

michael generally performed his popular hits so I have no complaints at all💜

More than ten, but these spring to mind:

The Girl Is Mine
P.Y.T.
Say Say Say
Somebody’s Watching Me
State Of Shock
Torture
Leave Me Alone
Liberian Girl
Who Is It
Give Into Me
Ghosts
Butterflies
Cry
One More Chance
Didn’t he perform PYT at the Budweiser superfest 1982? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere?

2, 4, 5, and 12 have all been performed live.
Fair enough. I figured somebody would say that. But if a song was just sung once I don't really count it.

State Of Shock
Interesting choice. I think Jagger did that one live once. I wonder if anybody has tried to mix MJs vocals in with that.
farewell my summer love’ was a hit when it was released in ‘84 (at least in the uk 🇬🇧). it would have been a nice surprise if it appeared in in the Motown medley 💡
One thing that would have been really cool is if the setlists actually changed from night to night. Imagine he did the songs that were a hit in different countries...

I know Just Good Friends is not quite a popular song, but hey: one time he had Stevie Wonder on stage during a BAD concert – and they didn’t sing it. That was a missed opportunity.

Also, it would have been incredibly funny to end at least one concert with Leave Me Alone.

Interesting choice. I think Jagger did that one live once. I wonder if anybody has tried to mix MJs vocals in with that.

At Live Aid 1985, with Tina Turner.
(That same show were Joan Baez (not at her best) sung Michael's lines in We Are The World.) (Correction: I'm not actually sure if it was the same show, didn't know that all Live Aids shows happened on the same year, but checking some setlist, it likely was the same show.)

I know Just Good Friends is not quite a popular song, but hey: one time he had Stevie Wonder on stage during a BAD concert – and they didn’t sing it. That was a missed opportunity.

I read recently that they actually also performed Just Good Friends... could not find a genuine video to check the info... (Maybe it was just fake news due to all those fanmade/ai stuff...)

Last edited:
At Live Aid 1985, with Tina Turner.
(That same show were Joan Baez (not at her best) sung Michael's lines in We Are The World.) (Correction: I'm not actually sure if it was the same show, didn't know that all Live Aids shows happened on the same year, but checking some setlist, it likely was the same show.
There were only 2 Live Aid shows, both on the same day, one in London and one in Philadelphia. It was a unique, one-off event. Trivia: Phil Collins is the only person to play both shows.

Last edited:
Back