What Are You Listening To?

Listening to this lovely time travel machine, I recalled some words in a documentary about castles. It might have been Secrets of the Castle, about the building of the Guédelon castle. My train of thought may seem exceedingly mystical, if not downright eschatological, but it was said that if people from the Middle Ages would be catapulted into our century, the only things they would recognize would be the castles and the cathedrals. I wonder what our age will leave behind for future generations........

1000years.jpg

^^^^ Funny enough to deserve an edit, even if the humor seems rather misplaced. But then again, that's typical of 12 yo or so they say lolol.

We don't really build castles anymore, but we can still build some truly beautiful cathedrals and some really ugly ones too, unfortunately. Irrespective of the buildings and the potentially diminishing size of believers, the remnant Church will forever stand as a reminder of Christ's love and faithfulness.

⚜️

Last edited:

Listening to this lovely time travel machine, I recalled some words in a documentary about castles. It might have been Secrets of the Castle, about the building of the Guédelon castle. My train of thought may seem exceedingly mystical, if not downright eschatological, but it was said that if people from the Middle Ages would be catapulted into our century, the only things they would recognize would be the castles and the cathedrals. I wonder what our age will leave behind for future generations........

We don't really build castles anymore, but we can still build some truly beautiful cathedrals and some really ugly ones too, unfortunately. Irrespective of the buildings and the potentially dimishing size of believers, the remnant Church will forever stand as a reminder of Christ's love and faithfulness.

⚜️
Hm, I dunno. I think in the UK we still have quite a few buildings that medieval peeps would recognise. Castles and cathedrals (and churches), as you say, but we still have many domestic buildings here that they would recognise. Not just the manor houses but smaller dwellings like the crux houses. Crux, I think that's how it's spelt. Doesn't look right, though, lol.

Plus various things dating from Roman times and later. Walls and arches and stuff. Plus lots of landscape features are still in existence which is cool.

We do have our share of ugly 20th century Catholic churches but, you know, Reformation and all that. All of the Catholic churches are now CofE, of course. I think the medieval visitor would (hopefully) be happy to see so much sacred choral music still being sung in the cathedrals (and some churches) but who knows what they would make of the modern sacred choral music? Poor things, it would probably frighten them half to death. Apologies if you are a fan but I have yet to hear a piece that I can listen to let alone actually enjoy. And forget being guided into a state of quiet reflection! Not gonna happen. (I'm not a fan, in case you didn't catch that!). Every year King's College Cambridge insist on including a new piece in the Christmas Eve service (Nine Lessons and Carols) and, while I can understand what they're trying to do, it just shatters the whole feel of the thing. In fact, I just don't listen anymore because the dissonant horrors of it are too much for me. Ooh, that's reminding me of We've Had Enough ('... it's too much for me ...'). I think I'll go and listen to it.

Cruck houses.

Knew I'd got the spelling wrong. They were built for the 'peasants' in medieval times.

A bit of Kelis and a lot of his royal majesty - Prince, of course 😁

Hell hath no fury like a G-irrrrrl scorned.........

Last edited:
Back