What Are You Listening To?

If you're going to post Stevie you're going to undermine me completely. I'll just come apart at the seams. This one especially. I don't really do that whole 'soundtrack to my life' thing with music. I know that's how it works for lots of people but not for me. But if anyone provided any kind of soundtrack to any part of my life, it's Stevie and this would be one of the songs.

Love it.

@zinniabooklover

I really can’t grasp your music taste, in one post you are all about rock and punk and in the next you are going crazy over old soul and funk. I would love it if you recommended some of your favorite soul/funk songs because your taste in this department is fantastic. That Arthur Conley song you posted above is fantastic!

@zinniabooklover

I really can’t grasp your music taste, in one post you are all about rock and punk and in the next you are going crazy over old soul and funk. I would love it if you recommended some of your favorite soul/funk songs because your taste in this department is fantastic. That Arthur Conley song you posted above is fantastic!
OK, will prob have to get back to you on this but my taste in music could be described as eclectic but that seems normal to me. I always get confused when I'm reading an interview with a musician and the journalist congratulates them on their wide ranging musical taste as if it's something weird or unusual. Isn't it normal, if you're into music, to like lots of different stuff?

Anyway, not having a go at you, f&m, this is just a constant confusion for me.

I'm the same age as Michael and got into music very early. Pirate radio stations. Loved them. So I'll give you a random few examples of some bands I like, not comprehensive, obvs.

1960's
Tamla - Stevie, Temps (with David and with Dennis), 4 Tops, Smokey/Miracles
Gene Pitney, Roy Orbison. Andy Williams
Kinks, Stones, Who, Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green, obvs), Yardbirds, Small Faces, Ten Years After, Jimi (OBVIOUSLY!!!)

1970's
Black Sabbath, James Brown, P-Funk, The Persuasions, ELP, Yes, Nazareth, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Pistols, X Ray Spex, Adam Ant, Ruts, Utlravox (John Foxx days), Glen Campbell, Gordon Lightfoot

1980's
loads of punk bands you won't have heard of cos they never got signed, Cyndi Lauper. Plus the 80's was when Michael got sick of me ignoring him and made me sit up and take proper notice, lol.

I'd have to think about which old soul things I love. Probably not a whole lot you haven't heard of, tbh. I've never been a muso, I don't try to track stuff down, I'm too lazy. The Arthur Conley song was a big hit and yet very quickly turned into one of those songs that always gets overlooked. Really frustrating. He was great and this song was the bomb. And, yet, back in the days when I listened to golden oldies radio it never cropped up much. I mean, you could literally go years and not hear it. Made no sense to me. It's flaming brilliant. Same thing with the wonderful Showstoppers song I posted upthread. Big hit but very quickly ended up as one of those overlooked songs. I don't understand why that happens.

You've really got me thinking now.

<wanders off, distracted>

@zinniabooklover

Don’t get me wrong I like a lot of genres too but it is always in phases with me. I can be into jazz for months and then ignore it for months. In my twenties I knew Bob Dylan’s discography back and forth, now I can’t remember the last time I heard one of his songs. These days i’m all into the good old soul and funk, love a lot of what you named in your post!

The only genres I never felt were punk and hip/hop or rap

@zinniabooklover

Don’t get me wrong I like a lot of genres too but it is always in phases with me. I can be into jazz for months and then ignore it for months. In my twenties I knew Bob Dylan’s discography back and forth, now I can’t remember the last time I heard one of his songs. These days i’m all into the good old soul and funk, love a lot of what you named in your post!

The only genres I never felt were punk and hip/hop or rap
I need to pay a bit more attention to some old soul. Cos I've been listening to J5/Jacksons and watching J5 live in Mexico and it has reminded me of the horn sections on a lot of those old songs. I'd kind of forgotten how much I loved that. It made me think about the JB's or the Famous Flames. Or those horn sections on the Tamla songs. Me? I'm all about the rhythm section but you can't beat a good horn section.

Me and jazz music don't get on very well but Uncut mag just did a huge piece on Miles Davis - who I've never had any interest in - and it was really cool. I didn't realise he was so into Jimi. Also seems to have been influenced by Sly Stone which is awesome. Anyway, they wrote about various albums he did and I really wanna check out some of the stuff they mentioned. Who knows, I might hate it but I really wanna take a look. The strap line on the cover was 'Miles Davis takes on rock n' roll' so obvs I had to buy it. It'll be an adventure.

@zinniabooklover

Miles really wanted to become as big as rock musicians, he wanted to score hits with jazz so he started experimenting with funk and rock in his jazz compisitions. It sounds wild but definitely not something the radio would ever pick up. He later covered human nature btw

@zinniabooklover

Miles really wanted to become as big as rock musicians, he wanted to score hits with jazz so he started experimenting with funk and rock in his jazz compisitions. It sounds wild but definitely not something the radio would ever pick up. He later covered human nature btw
Yeah, I listened to his HN cover. I'm in the 'sounds like elevator muzak' camp. I gave it a few goes but, nah, not gonna work. But I will check out some of this other stuff.

Yeah, I listened to his HN cover. I'm in the 'sounds like elevator muzak' camp. I gave it a few goes but, nah, not gonna work. But I will check out some of this other stuff.
Yeah his 80s output in all wrong lol. It is wild and eclectic in the 70s. His discography and albums are overwhelmingly big though, very hard to get into. I personally like Coltrane more but Davis was a true innovator.
Some of Miles’ pieces get the feel of a Jimi Hendrix solo, just wild and provably drug induced lol

Four Tops / You Keep Runnin' Away

I'm derailing myself, lol. I'm now obsessing over songs that I think have been overlooked. This one by the 4 Tops only got to No. 26 in the UK and kind of got ignored after that in favour of their really big hits. One of those songs where I almost prefer the backing vocals. Those harmonies. Awesome.

Last edited:
I have somewhat of an eclectic mix as well, my mom loved a bunch of these artists, especially The Monkees
Oh man, The Monkees! The original boy band. I actually wasn't that big of a fan cos I didn't like Davy Jones' voice and he got most of the lead vocals. I *loved* Mickey Dolenz. A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You is my absolute fave and I'm A Believer is really fab, as well. I thought Mickey Dolenz was cooler than cool although when I look back now, I'm like, 'oh well, I was only a kid'. :D

Oh man, The Monkees! The original boy band. I actually wasn't that big of a fan cos I didn't like Davy Jones' voice and he got most of the lead vocals. I *loved* Mickey Dolenz. A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You is my absolute fave and I'm A Believer is really fab, as well. I thought Mickey Dolenz was cooler than cool although when I look back now, I'm like, 'oh well, I was only a kid'. :D
Oh I know lol, but I found them to be entertaining and Mickey was a cool cat lol the show was cute too! :D

Forgot to say, I know! I can see that from the stuff you post. I'm really bad at remembering to 'like' stuff. The other day / week you posted Sultans of Swing. Awesome!
There's so much to like lol! But yes I figured you'd like that one too, at times I've had it stuck in my head, let alone would be a good track to drive to lol.

Oh I know lol, but I found them to be entertaining and Mickey was a cool cat lol the show was cute too! :D
Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey WAS a cool cat. That's such a fab way of putting it. Very 60's! Didn't see the show (no tv) but, man, my cool cat. I loved him.

Last edited:
There's so much to like lol! But yes I figured you'd like that one too, at times I've had it stuck in my head, let alone would be a good track to drive to lol.
Sultans of Swing, that guitar! You can't argue with that. It's the business. I'm not huge into Dire Straits, tbh. Not loud or heavy enough for me. But it doesn't matter. When a band drops a classic like that their work is DONE.

Sultans of Swing, that guitar! You can't argue with that. It's the business. I'm not huge into Dire Straits, tbh. Not loud or heavy enough for me. But it doesn't matter. When a band drops a classic like that their work is DONE.
That's very true, I mean there's only a few little tracks I like, but when there's a specific beat, bass line or whatnot it will stick. Yes' ma'am!

Otis Redding / Shake

Ready Steady Go. Classic stuff. That singer - to the left of Otis as you look at the screen - that's Eric Burdon. Chris Farlowe, the other guy, isn't very interesting. Otis is on fire, Eric is having the time of his life, sharing a stage with legendary Otis Redding and the band are just killing it.

Last edited:
Back