What book should I read about Michael Jackson?

Michael Bush - The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson

http://www.amazon.com/The-King-Style-Dressing-Michael/dp/1608871517/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Made by Michael's long time clothes designer Michael Bush. I'm not too much into clothes and fashion so first I wasn't that interested but then a friend of mine ordered it and told about what a beautiful book it is so I ordered it too. And it really is very beautiful! It's a pleasure to read. I think it also won a couple of awards. No wonder. Truly beautiful publication.

I went to Michael Bush's costume exhibition in Newbridge in 2012 and got this book as a Christmas present and have to say it's an absolutely stunning book. Michael Bush is very engaging and an all round charming guy, and the book is beautiful. It's the only word to describe it. The pictures and illustrations aswell as Michael Bush talking about the work that went into costumes, belts and other pieces is fantastic and lots of funny moments with MJ. You may not think you would be that interested to read specifically about costumes but you'll get a whole new insight into certain costumes and how signature pieces such as Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller jackets evolved through the tours and eras and how they helped advance MJ's performance and how Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins came up with innovative ways to make the costumes less restricting and meet MJ's demands aswell as work out how MJ would propose a new jacket or belt by giving them riddles to work out. It's a must read and brilliant. I can't say enough good things about it. From Captain EO right up to This Is It and the end 'Bush as MJ so affectionately called him was there.

I went to Michael Bush's costume exhibition in Newbridge in 2012 and got this book as a Christmas present and have to say it's an absolutely stunning book. Michael Bush is very engaging and an all round charming guy, and the book is beautiful. It's the only word to describe it. The pictures and illustrations aswell as Michael Bush talking about the work that went into costumes, belts and other pieces is fantastic and lots of funny moments with MJ. You may not think you would be that interested to read specifically about costumes but you'll get a whole new insight into certain costumes and how signature pieces such as Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller jackets evolved through the tours and eras and how they helped advance MJ's performance and how Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins came up with innovative ways to make the costumes less restricting and meet MJ's demands aswell as work out how MJ would propose a new jacket or belt by giving them riddles to work out. It's a must read and brilliant. I can't say enough good things about it. From Captain EO right up to This Is It and the end 'Bush as MJ so affectionately called him was there.

Absolutely. Besides the book being beautiful it made me laugh and cry - all the little anecdotes about Michael. And it made me appreciate this part of Michael's art like I never really appreciated before. I was focused on the music and the dance and paid less attention to the clothes, but reading this book you will realize how much they were too a part of Michael's artistic expression and how they also showcased his creativity. It really is a "must have" for MJ fans IMO.

Absolutely. Besides the book being beautiful it made me laugh and cry - all the little anecdotes about Michael. And it made me appreciate this part of Michael's art like I never really appreciated before. I was focused on the music and the dance and paid less attention to the clothes, but reading this book you will realize how much they were too a part of Michael's artistic expression and how they also showcased his creativity. It really is a "must have" for MJ fans IMO.

I'm a costume maker myself (though not the same kind of costumes) so I found his book utterly fascinating. I agree it's a must have. It's a very positive book about Michael. The little stories Bush shares about Michael make me smile. Plus if you order the book from his website, he will sign it.

There was only one downside to this book: I had a copy previously and had to exchange it because the spine of the book split apart and pages came out after only one reading. The replacement copy I got did almost the same thing. It's not that big of a deal I guess, just be gentle when opening it.

Joe Voegel's book "Man in the Music" is quite interesting, it focuses on his talent leaving out all the useless gossip. Otherwise, I would simply read Michael's biography "Moonwalk" and Dancing the dream :) I personally don't read a lot of other authors' books...

I'd never recommend that Frank Cascio's book because a true friend doesn't do what he did, Revealing Michael's private aspects he chose to keep for himself when he was still here, lying on other aspects and/or exaggerating on details.

That's what a true friend does. Dame Elizabeth Taylor really knew the meaning of friendship, loyalty and respect for privacy, that's the reason I still have tons of respect for her.

I can't remember if this is true or not, but didn't MJ make a statement of some kind about Tamborelli's book being tabloid garbage? I seem to remember hearing that years ago. I have a 1st edition of Dancing the Dream which I would recommend, and 3 first editions of Moonwalk (if anyone wants a Moonwalk book let me know, cause I found 2 of them at Value Village post June 2009 for cheap :p)

Dancing the Dream is amazing. I have a first edition that i got off Ebay. :)

I bought Dancing the Dream first edition in the 90's in a bookstore where it was heavily discounted. I absolutely loved it, just beautiful, but unfortunately I lost it in one of my moves. I was devastated. Now I will definitely buy another copy and this time hold on to it for dear life!

I bought Dancing the Dream first edition in the 90's in a bookstore where it was heavily discounted. I absolutely loved it, just beautiful, but unfortunately I lost it in one of my moves. I was devastated.

That's super unfortunate. I lost my 2002 copy of Vibe in one of my childhood moves and I was devastated. It was one of the first MJ items I had ever purchased on my own (I think I was around 14?) I have big regrets not replacing it because now the few on eBay are going for nothing less than $60.

Back