What could the setlist for a thriller tour have been?

I think I’ve finally got it, haha

Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ Concert March 1985 sponsored by Ribena Broadcast on BBC 1

set list

wanna be startin’ somethin’
‘beat it’
‘human nature’
‘don’t stop til you get enough’
‘off the wall’
‘rock with you’

‘farewell my summer love’
‘somebody’s watching me’ (solo rearrangement with a few choruses, that leads into..)
thriller
billie jean
we are the world’ ‘with lionel richie & diana ross)
love felt so good’*

*in my alternate universe, michael kept the song for himself, and had a hit with it in ‘84

in keeping with the mostly solo and uptempo format, I also chose to place more of an emphasis on the eighties releases. it’s a slightly shorter show than most, but it’s full of hits (which is what I would have tuned in for). no filler. I haven’t decided on a venue yet, but ideally it would be one where michael’s dancing, and the theatrics of ‘thriller’ and ‘beat it’ wouldn’t be lost on literally hundreds of thousands. all songs would be in the original key with pre recorded vocals (except ‘we are the world’). this way we still get to hear new vocals compared to the original studio ones, and we don’t to worry/debate about the quality of them.

this took a long time to put together. I’ll probably change my mind again 😆 but it was fun, and I enjoy coming back to this thread 💜

He would have perfected his dance moves, especially the front moonwalk, circle moonwalk, and the sidewalk, much earlier and he would've used the sidewalk, along with others, for this tour.

Last edited:
Going back on my original post, I said pretty much the Victory tour, minus Jermaine tracks, add a few J5/Jacksons songs.....I would actually add these:

* I Can't Help It- my fav from Off The Wall. This would have been fantastic live. I could see Michael having done this, and if the fan fare was excellent (which I think would have happened), could have been one of his cornerstones later on where he'd always sing it live (like he always did for Human Nature. He never ever lip synched that one)

* Someone In The Dark- Coming off the heels of the ET movie, this could be a nice slow song for him to do, to regroup and get himself ready for the end of the show.

* Get On The Floor- Another banger from Off The Wall. This would have been fun to see him do live. Maybe end the show with this going into Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)

He would have perfected his dance moves, especially the front moonwalk, circle moonwalk, and the sidewalk, much earlier and he would've used the sidewalk, along with others, for this tour.
Ah, the famous sidewalk!

images

I thought that was perfected a long, long time ago?

Even if Michael Jackson wanted to embark on a solo Thriller Tour, that was technically impossible for him.

By that time he did not have enough solo, adult material to perform on a solo Thriller Tour, considering that he had only 2 adult studio albums ('Off The Wall', 'Thriller').

Also, certain songs from these 2 adult studio albums would have been excluded from the Thriller Tour.

Such as, the 'Thriller' live performance because at that time it was against his Jehovah's Witness upbringing, or the 'The Lady In My Life' live performance because he never really wanted to perform it live, and so on.

Note also that certain songs (from these 2 adult studio albums) could not co-exist in the Thriller Tour's set list because they were too similar (like, 'She's Out Of My Life' and 'The Lady In My Life').

These things make the songs (from his 2 adult studio albums) even fewer for consideration for a solo Thriller Tour, which means that he also needed his big hits with the Jackson 5/The Jacksons, hence the Victory Tour.

Even if Michael Jackson wanted to embark on a solo Thriller Tour, that was technically impossible for him.

By that time he did not have enough solo, adult material to perform on a solo Thriller Tour, considering that he had only 2 adult studio albums ('Off The Wall', 'Thriller').

Also, certain songs from these 2 adult studio albums would have been excluded from the Thriller Tour.

Such as, the 'Thriller' live performance because at that time it was against his Jehovah's Witness upbringing, or the 'The Lady In My Life' live performance because he never really wanted to perform it live, and so on.

Note also that certain songs (from these 2 adult studio albums) could not co-exist in the Thriller Tour's set list because they were too similar (like, 'She's Out Of My Life' and 'The Lady In My Life').

These things make the songs (from his 2 adult studio albums) even fewer for consideration for a solo Thriller Tour, which means that he also needed his big hits with the Jackson 5/The Jacksons, hence the Victory Tour.
He could perform Jacksons songs on a solo thriller tour like he did on the bad tour

Un mean, the sidewalk dance move, which had been used on the Bad, Dangerous and History tours, not the street floor.
I am merely trying to draw your attention to the unfortunate name that is being associated with that dance move (which I am quite familiar with, by the way). A sidewalk is a sidewalk if you’re Northern American, wherefore I believe Michael would agree.

How about… sideglide?

I am merely trying to draw your attention to the unfortunate name that is being associated with that dance move (which I am quite familiar with, by the way). A sidewalk is a sidewalk if you’re Northern American, wherefore I believe Michael would agree.

How about… sideglide?
I agree! Both the sidewalk and a sideglide would have been included in the solo Thriller tour!!!!

Back