What do you hope to see addressed in the thriller docu?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Actually there are 2 right? Sonic fantasy and the one the Estate anncounced?

Anyway:

- I like to hear the story how they went from starlight to thriller.
- likewise how they went from PYT demo to the album track

That are two subject I like to see addressed.

Some interviews with Eddie cascio and about the number 1 attorney clients

Definitely want to hear this.
Also in Moonwalk Michael talks about last days of Thriller, not being satisfied, redoing stuff, would be great to see some more "making of".
The 'Thriller' documentary is going to include making-of footage, because that is how it is being advertised.

But American filmmaker Nelson George also implied that a significant part of this documentary is going to be occupied by stuff that his die-hard fans are not really interested in.

For example, the cultural impact of that album, the cultural impact of its music videos, the album's pioneering impact on black music genres and its crossover appeal, and so on.

That is not really good news for the singer's die-hard fans, but it is understandable given the Estate's desire (via this documentary) to introduce Michael Jackson also to new audiences.

they probably let Questlove and Branca talk about some shit again.
Branca is the real mastermind behind MJ.

When will the documentary come out and how can you watch it?

Is this the same documentary airing as a one-off around the world on Nov 30th? I have tickets for the Toronto screening. It would be pretty cool if it's the same one

Definitely hoping to see modern day artists that weren't even born when the album came out talk about how much of an inspiration it was for them.:rolleyes:

Seems weird the doc comes 2 months after the album is released. If they really do no promotion T40 will be Long forgotten by most i january.

The 'Thriller' documentary is going to include making-of footage, because that is how it is being advertised.

But American filmmaker Nelson George also implied that a significant part of this documentary is going to be occupied by stuff that his die-hard fans are not really interested in.

For example, the cultural impact of that album, the cultural impact of its music videos, the album's pioneering impact on black music genres and its crossover appeal, and so on.

That is not really good news for the singer's die-hard fans, but it is understandable given the Estate's desire (via this documentary) to introduce Michael Jackson also to new audiences.
Are you a wikipedia page?

I wanna fight John branca right now!
Let's go he asking for it

ba89460296c5ce85a27261b91a60ed3e.gif

Studio footage of him recording the songs, talking about the tracklist, I want to hear the original album titles they offered as well as hear about how Michael and Quincy even started the sessions. I wanna hear when Michael started working on his follow up, not when it was Thriller, just when it was the follow up record. All the Hayvenhurst stories, the original versions, I want to see and hear the old tracklists and album ideas. I want to know almost every detail possible if they do this documentary and do it properly. Hopefully at least one documentary is a service to fans interested in Michael the artist, and in studio self.

90 minutes of Nelson George explaining it wasn't the paycheck, that helped him forget how much he hates Mike. All those spiteful inaccurate pieces he wrote on Michael were just "banter"

Seriously I'm not really excited by this one, we know most of the stories of Thriller by this point. Also I doubt they'll be any new footage or audio, if there is, knowing the Estate it'll be used sparingly. You'll probably get more out of Damien Shields Thriller Gensis documentary, than you will out of Thriller 40. The Estate's doc will probably be more about the impact of Thriller, rather than the actual creation of it.

I apologise for the negativity, I'm just not feeling this one. We know next to nothing about the creative process of Dangerous onwards and here we are on Thriller again.

What my heart really desires is that people acknowledge Michael as an artist. So I want everything that puts the focus on that!

90 minutes of Nelson George explaining it wasn't the paycheck, that helped him forget how much he hates Mike. All those spiteful inaccurate pieces he wrote on Michael were just "banter"

Seriously I'm not really excited by this one, we know most of the stories of Thriller by this point. Also I doubt they'll be any new footage or audio, if there is, knowing the Estate it'll be used sparingly. You'll probably get more out of Damien Shields Thriller Gensis documentary, than you will out of Thriller 40. The Estate's doc will probably be more about the impact of Thriller, rather than the actual creation of it.

I apologise for the negativity, I'm just not feeling this one. We know next to nothing about the creative process of Dangerous onwards and here we are on Thriller again.

Pretty much how I feel about the whole thing as well.

My hypothesis is many things will be taken from Nelson George's book about Thriller for the documentary.

For those who have not read it, this is the synopsis:
George explores how the album changed the world in 1982, when Michael Jackson was king of the charts, breaking down the color barrier on MTV and heralding in the age of video. This incisive and revealing examination of the making and meaning of Thriller not only illuminates the brilliant creative process and work ethic of Jackson and producer Quincy Jones, but also explores the larger context of the music, life, and seismic impact the King of Pop has had for more than three generations.

In summary it sounds great but my hope is that it is done well.

I just want some interesting stuff. We’re immediately at a disadvantage because we know many of these stories already, but they still need to tell those stories to offer a comprehensive narrative/timeline. I just hope that they include a decent amount of behind-the-scenes footage and rare clips. Give us something like Bad 25, minus the contemporary celebrity cameos (or at least keep them to a minimum, at the very end).

Text snippets are from the book "The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: His Music, His Persona, and His Artistic Afterlife"

1668877058515.png

1668877077110.png

This is why we can't have nice things.

@Lacra

MJ will never get credit as a serious artist, he will forever be one of the pop artists, lumped together with. Britney Spears, Madonna, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Justin Timberlake etc

I see it everywhere on music sites and articles, he is never talked about. Serious radio stations don’t play his music either bar the thriller trilogy of smash hits.

Whether they are right or wrong I don’t know but it bugs me a lot. At the very least they could acknowledge how brilliant he was doing his own vocal arrangements and in doing so creating his very own style of music. Maybe Quincy nurtured it a bit but MJ’s trademark vocals and arrangements were already there before he met Quincy.

He deserves to be named alongside Prince, James Brown, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye but he isn’t.

This whole documentary should just play the Billie Jean home demo on repeat for 90 minutes.

Written by
Michael Jackson

Composed by
Michael Jackson

That would be enough for me. 😏

American music and cultural critic Stanley Crouch is right that Michael Jackson should be classified as an entertainer.

Stanley Crouch's statement is in accordance with statements from organizations and from other people.

For example, Michael Jackson was officially named the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time.

Or, Richard Williams (from The Guardian) who also describes him as an entertainer (his exact words are "the greatest entertainer of his age").

Also, Stanley Crouch's statement about Michael Jackson's songs lyrically having an adolescent vision of life is especially true when it comes to his first, adult solo album ('Off The Wall') and to his final, adult solo album ('Invincible'), which shows that Michael Jackson began and ended his adult, solo career with lyrically shallow albums:

For example:

'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough'
'Rock With You'
'Get On The Floor'
'Off The Wall' (the title track)
'Girlfriend'
'She's Out Of My Life'
'I Can't Help It'
'It's The Falling In Love'
'Burn This Disco Out'
'Heartbreaker'
'Invincible' (the title track)