What do you think of Michael's performance with N*Sync at the 2001 MTV VMAs?

I saw the performance for the first time in a while. Michael's dancing was quite sharp, given his very short cameo. N*Sync showed great respect for him at that show.
I remember the reaction at the time and it was said that MJ looked tired and slightly behind the beat, he obviously missed that very last note.

I still enjoy it though and can we talk about his outfit? He looked so modern and cool wearing that leather outfit.

I much preferred it to the typical military style that he wore the year later with the big leg pads.

I remember the reaction at the time and it was said that MJ looked tired and slightly behind the beat, he obviously missed that very last note.

I still enjoy it though and can we talk about his outfit? He looked so modern and cool wearing that leather outfit.

I much preferred it to the typical military style that he wore the year later with the big leg pads.
Michael Jackson missed also the very first note.

In any case, the only interesting thing about his performance is that he performed in front of a US audience after many years.

I remember being annoyed when they zoomed in and showed only his upper body, because you couldn't actually see his dance moves. I guess that's how little Michael felt when he watched James Brown on television and the cameraman wouldn't show his feet. lol

the whole thing was weird. but it was discussed a thousand times already and everyone has his own opinion.

Wasn't Mike's best, but he stole the show. He looked really tired to me, especially the way he sat down at the end. I think it was very last minute

One thing I remember thinking was Mike's pants fit, they weren't his classic high waisted ones, couldn't see his socks.
Maybe he wasn't comfortable with the idea of sitting on a woman's thighs acting as a chair.

vmas01-1.jpg

vmas01-2.jpg

Maybe she was originally supposed to stand beside the chair, but you know when Mike walks in, the ladies faint.

I can appreciate different 'modern' artists showing respect for Michael Jackson but there wasn't a lot about the Invincible era that I liked. The handful of live performances I remember weren't very good and lacked the enthusiasm he usually had. Really seemed to be going through the motions for the entire thing. The last time he really performed like Michael Jackson was MJ and Friends in 1999.

One of his worst stage cameos ever. He looked and moved like an old tired man, often a step too late and with simply uninspiring robotic dancing, super rushed as well.

Hot take but I’m not crazy of his post 80s dancing. Too much robotic moves. Give me the smooth fluent disco dancing of the mid to late 70s and early 80s. I also dig all his bad era routines, he re invented his style quite well and I love all his different arm, hands and finger movements during this era.

Yeah in his later career he did kind of lazily rely on a few moves, the robot being one but it never became nearly as detracting as it was in 2001 onwards. It's like he lost the freedom he used to have.

One of my favourite MJ performances was Beat it in Bucharest where he randomly breaks into a kung fu dance. Didnt at all seem choreographed. You dont see that from him in HIStory and certainly not in the Invincible era. I feel like he got bored of it all at some point.

As close to inspired as anything Michael did in Invincible era was the front-walk thing from You Rock My World. I dont think much of it, seems basic to me. But its having a resurgence on tik tok and I think it's been done as a celebration in the NFL a few times. But other than that, Michael's dancing went downhill at about HIStory tour but really tanked in Invincible.

I do think age had a big impact on the way Michael danced. He was truly an explosive dancer and the Bad Tour and Dangerous were evidence of this - he was electric.

By the History tour he was wasn't as fast so relied more on slower robotic moves but I did think they lacked a bit of energy.

By the early 2000s his dancing was even slower and not as fluid as it once was the sidewalk as an example was just not as slick.

His sidewalk during those TII rehearsals looked even worse with those 50 year old skinny legs. Although it was only rehearsals and he wasn't going all out.

To perform at his level for so long, I cant complain about him changing his dancing style over the years. I dont expect Destiny tour energy/choreography during the invincible era. Especially not with his health issues at the time.

When you consider who he is and what he’s actually capable of, it’s whatever. Nothing special but not terrible.

However, it’s important to note that not only was he still a damn good mover in his early 40s, but he actively outshined performers half his age with a 30-second dance solo that fans generally agree isn’t the best representation of his abilities. If nothing else, that showcases how goddamn top tier he was.

It was tacky. MJ didn't need to perform with some crappy boy band lol. He should have just performed "You Rock My World" at the VMAs that year to promote Invincible. But then again, he was mentally out of if, so I guess it was for the best that he didn't take the lead.

The Invincible era was such a disaster tsk tsk

He was a husk of himself during Invincible. And while you can forgive being a bit slower I think the problem goes well beyond that. He looks heavily medicated in every appearance he made. I don't think his heart was in it at all at any stage of the Invincible album cycle and I think he phoned in the album as well. Everything about the Invincible performances felt like Michael Jackson doing a bad impression of Michael Jackson.

I love the idea of it and I like it a lot. His time with Usher was way way better though.

All the people making comments about his dance moves and his style, let's see your moves. Especially if you're over 40.

The last time he really performed like Michael Jackson was MJ and Friends in 1999.
The last time he really performed like Michael Jackson was in 2002 (for example, 'Dangerous' at the American Bandstand).
MJ didn't need to perform with some crappy boy band lol.
This was because his record company wanted to introduce Michael Jackson to the young generation (via a connection with a successful at that time boy band), hence his short performance with NSYNC.

I recall hearing a rumor that NSYNC's manager refused to have NSYNC performing at the 30th anniversary shows unless MJ did this performance. Is that true?

When you consider who he is and what he’s actually capable of, it’s whatever. Nothing special but not terrible.

However, it’s important to note that not only was he still a damn good mover in his early 40s, but he actively outshined performers half his age with a 30-second dance solo that fans generally agree isn’t the best representation of his abilities. If nothing else, that showcases how goddamn top tier he was.
I think his spins during the N*Sync performance was awesome. He kept straight up, no slouching, very balanced and controlled and looks effortless.

Back