What if Michael had his own record label?

Lasagna_Man2

Proud Member
So when Sony bought Epic, Michael initially wanted to leave. With this thought, I wondered what it would have been like if Michael decided to not accept Sony’s offer (1991 one) and went on a similar route than Prince and made his own label, striking a distribution deal with some company like EMI or some other.
Could it have gone well? Would it remain only for MJ to release his own music independently or could it grow into a bigger label? I know MJJ Music had other artists but that was owned by Sony so… I’m just curious about this possibility and wanted to discuss it :)

Well It's a good thread. I know MJJ Music signed an artist called Brownstone. (RIP Charmayne Maxena Maxwell -Maxee)
.. Before that was quo..
I would have loved to have seen an alternative reality. So yes maybe.

Yeah, MJJ music also had 3T, Men of Vizion, Rebbie Jackson, No Authority, etc.

I just was toying with the idea of Michael owning his own independent label, like Prince had. I wonder if he would attract any big names, or if he would keep it just to release his own music. If this happens when I proposed, 1990-1991, then by the time Prince splits off from Warner it could be an option for him, if this independent MJJ Music did well.
It's mostly checking the plausibility of an independent MJJ Music being successful and attracting big names (which it needs to be successful, as its unlikely MJ or anyone on their own could run a big label).

Back