What if? Michael Jackson’s estate made an originals album like prince’s estate released

mikey82james

Proud Member
Maybe call it - Michael Jackson “Alright Now” (The Originals)

Michael’s demos
1. Centipede
2. Eaten Alive
3. You’re the one
4. State of Shock
5. Joy
6. It don’t matter to me
7. The Hurt
8. Why
9. Alright Now
10. Eaten Alive Michael & Barry 2023 mix

(Single) Eaten Alive 2023

😉

The difference is Prince would usually record, mix, & master his tracks in 1 day. They were finished songs, not songs with no vocals or whatever. Even if it was, it was still Prince since he usually played at least 1 of the instruments on his stuff & sometimes all of them. Prince was also constantly recording. Sometimes Prince would go to a recording studio after a concert on a tour. That wasn't the case with Mike. Prince would want to release more albums than Warner Brothers would accept. This wasn't the 1950s & 1960s when labels wanted to release 2 or 3 albums for an artist in one year. That's partly why he had the protege acts, so he could put out stuff that Warners refused as a Prince release. Mike had no protege acts. Probably the closest thing he had to that was the group MDLT Willis from the early 1970s that the J5 wrote some songs for. But that was Papa Joe's group. Jermaine discovered Switch & DeBarge and got them deals with Motown. Mike had the label MJJ Records, but I don't think he had much to do with the music released there.

The difference is Prince would usually record, mix, & master his tracks in 1 day. They were finished songs, not songs with no vocals or whatever. Even if it was, it was still Prince since he usually played at least 1 of the instruments on his stuff & sometimes all of them. Prince was also constantly recording. Sometimes Prince would go to a recording studio after a concert on a tour. That wasn't the case with Mike. Prince would want to release more albums than Warner Brothers would accept. This wasn't the 1950s & 1960s when labels wanted to release 2 or 3 albums for an artist in one year. That's partly why he had the protege acts, so he could put out stuff that Warners refused as a Prince release. Mike had no protege acts. Probably the closest thing he had to that was the group MDLT Willis from the early 1970s that the J5 wrote some songs for. But that was Papa Joe's group. Jermaine discovered Switch & DeBarge and got them deals with Motown. Mike had the label MJJ Records, but I don't think he had much to do with the music released there.
Except for his contributions to the 3T album

I've got something similar, on a bootleg CD I bought in about 1996.

Except for his contributions to the 3T album
That's like one song and it was written by Babyface. I have the 2 Brownstone albums and Mike just has an executive producer credit
f26fdb31cdeeb3c275f94c9fcecfec5e7587c72d.jpg

Michael contributed three songs for 3T:
- produced and guest in Why
- backing vocal in I Need You
- produced Words Without Meaning
That's still very little compared to Prince's output with other acts or just his recordings. Even Jimmy Jam (who worked with both because he was a member of The Time) said that their recording methods are very different. The reason that there was an Prince Originals album is because he recorded the tracks himself before giving them to other acts. Like when that incident with Prince's bodyguard happened on the night of the We Are The World recording and he received a lot of bad press. Not long after that he wrote and recorded a brand new song about it called Hello and put it as the B-side of his next single. Not a lot of other acts of the era would put out instant songs like that.

Everyone knows Prince wrote more songs than most people take a piss. Doesn't mean MJ did nothing. There's a few songs he wrote for others.

Writing a song does not necessarily mean he recorded them himself.
I don’t understand how this and your previous post had anything to do with MJ’s situation specifically. We know that many songs he wrote for others in some form as a demo based off of copyright registrations and confirmation from his collaborators.

Alright now - exists as a full song
Say say say demo - exists. 2015 Paul mix
Eaten alive demo - exists
State of shock - exists
Joy - exists
Don’t matter - exists
Why - exists (unsure if the whole song exists)
People of the world - exists. Leaked
Children’s holiday - exists.
Fly away - exists & released
We are the world - exists & released

I’m inclined to believe that he also recorded a demo for centipede, because why wouldn’t he?

Back