What (in your opinion) are Michael's most profound lyrics?

The whole HIStory album is a cry of pain and outrage and rage of lived experiences. I can only imagine how Michael felt after 2005 and what he wanted to write. He never got the credit due to him for writing songs like Stranger in Moscow or TDCAU. TDCAU message was completely ignored for invented anti semetic outrage. Was there any sympathy or appreciation for what he had gone through in 1995 post release of history?

Great thread!

I'm not sure whether it can be considered "deep", but it's definitely great way of storytelling, worth mentioning here.

I don't know. I find in the few lines of Dirty Diana he describes a situation between 3 people who all struggle with the seduction of fame, prestige and money.

Diana, the groupie is the most obvious. She gives herself and her body for it.

MJ, the rock star, who can't get rid of her, maybe can't resist her. Thanks to his star power, he gets that opportunity. What would the average person do with that
kind of attention

And then the girlfriend, "Don't lock the door." Has she gotten this call before? Does she know what her boyfriend, the rock star, does? Spending his night somewhere else., because its the business? Does she stay with him and endure this kind of behavior for prestige and money?

Maybe it's just good storytelling, but for me the lyrics also give an insight into our dark human sides and themes.

English is not my mother tongue, I hope people understand my pov a bit.
Or I misunderstood the word profund a bit?

:)

I don't know. I find in the few lines of Dirty Diana he describes a situation between 3 people who all struggle with the seduction of fame, prestige and money.

Diana, the groupie is the most obvious. She gives herself and her body for it.

MJ, the rock star, who can't get rid of her, maybe can't resist her. Thanks to his star power, he gets that opportunity. What would the average person do with that
kind of attention

And then the girlfriend, "Don't lock the door." Has she gotten this call before? Does she know what her boyfriend, the rock star, does? Spending his night somewhere else., because its the business? Does she stay with him and endure this kind of behavior for prestige and money?

Maybe it's just good storytelling, but for me the lyrics also give an insight into our dark human sides and themes.

English is not my mother tongue, I hope people understand my pov a bit.
Or I misunderstood the word profund a bit?

:)

No, no, I think it was me who used less fortunate wording, sorry about that. I completely agree with you, Dirty Diana has great lyrics, the third verse is even on "goosebumps-giving" level. I guess what I was trying to say is that perhaps "profound" wouldn't be the first word to come to my mind to describe it, but I'm afraid I failed to convey my thoughts clearly. The lyrics deserve to be here and I'm glad you included it. I hope this clarifies the confusion. :blush:

And thanks for sharing your analysis of the song! For me it's a song of feelings carried away by passion in the heat of the moment, and its consequences later. You indeed gave a more specific interpretation on a wider scale, and I agree "profound" is an accurate description in that sense.

Last edited:
No, no, I think it was me who used less fortunate wording, sorry about that. I completely agree with you, Dirty Diana has great lyrics, the third verse is even on "goosebumps-giving" level. I guess what I was trying to say is that perhaps "profound" wouldn't be the first word to come to my mind to describe it, but I'm afraid I failed to convey my thoughts clearly. The lyrics deserve to be here and I'm glad you included it. I hope this clarifies the confusion. :blush:

And thanks for sharing your analysis of the song! For me it's a song of feelings carried away by passion in the heat of the moment, and its consequences later. You indeed gave a more specific interpretation on a wider scale, and I agree "profound" is an accurate description in that sense.

Oh, thank you for your answer :) It made me think about the meaning of the song a lot more. A 'thought provocing' answer at its best :)

In the end, what we label profund is up to ourselfs i guess. MJ wrote so many great lyrics and they can mean differrent things to all of us. unbelievable great level of genius in my opinon.

Personally I'd say most of the lyrics from Morphine, they feel like it's mj screaming for help

Back