What Invincible outtakes were finished before the album's release?

Spaceship

Proud Member
I really like "Another Day", "Blue Gangster", "Escape" and "We've Had Enough"; were they finished songs, or were they only demos? I'd have liked them on the album, if it was possible.

Help me understand the leaked and official releases better. The versions of "Blue Gangster" and "Escape" on Xscape Deluxe are the original demos from 1999; the version of "Escape" that leaked in 2002 was finished in 2001, and the leaked version of "Blue Gangster" was finished in 2004? The version of "Another Day" that leaked in 2010 was recorded in 2001, but was it finished or just a demo? "We've Had Enough" was recorded from 1999-2001, and the version on The Ultimate Collection is the final?

Last edited:
They may not have been finished at the time they were made but songs like Escape and Get Your Weight Off Of Me were given a mixing in 2003-2004 for The Ultimate Collection.

I still don't know why the Estate released the outdated versions instead of the newer ones, the 2001 mix of Escape sounds a lot better than both the 1999 mix and the 2013 remix...

The leaked version of "Escape" sounds cleaner, particularly with the speeding car and helicopter sound effects. On the 1999 demo, they sound watered out.

To be honest there's not a huge difference

Still a loss, but not as big as you're making it
The vocals are more isolated and the song overall sounds grittier, which is why I prefer it over the 2 versions on Xscape.

I would like to hear the 2003 mix too, even if it's described as not being much different from the 2001 mix at all.

It appears that 'Another Day' was never finished because it needs some additional work (for example, it lacks a third verse).

'We've Had Enough' was one of the first songs that was finished for the 'Invincible' album.

But 'We've Had Enough' was re-worked for 'The Ultimate Collection' box set (2004).

It has been confirmed that the original version of 'Blue Gangsta' (on the 'Xscape' album) is an early version of the song from the 'Invincible' album sessions.

That early version of 'Blue Gangsta' lacks additional changes and improvements that Michael Jackson later made on it (for the 'Invincible' album).

As a matter of fact, 'Blue Gangsta' generally is one of those songs that underwent the most changes and improvements because he meticulously kept working on it so as to make it a modern, perfect successor to his 'Smooth Criminal' classic hit.

In what ways was "We've Had Enough" reworked?

Last edited:
They may not have been finished at the time they were made but songs like Escape and Get Your Weight Off Of Me were given a mixing in 2003-2004 for The Ultimate Collection.

I still don't know why the Estate released the outdated versions instead of the newer ones, the 2001 mix of Escape sounds a lot better than both the 1999 mix and the 2013 remix...
Yeah, as with all of the other demos on Xscape, the version on there just sounds flat and low quality, irrespective of what year it's from. Would have probably sounded fine if they actually bothered mixing it.

Back