What is your personal fave MJ video and what is his objectively best video?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
My fave video is Thriller. As I have stated also in the Thriller vs Ghosts thread.
But his best video as in having the best content, message, visuals etc to me is black or white.

Black or white managed to be whimsical in its opening scene but then transforms into a globe trotting message of positivity and togetherness culminating in the unforgettable morphing of the faces of all types of people both men and woman, simply stating everyone is equal and should be treated equal. The special effects for that scene are incredible and haven't dated one bit. I also like the transition from the Russian dance to the globe with a black and white kid on it. We're all together on this tiny sphere and we don't know what else is out there if there is anything out there at all so we have to make the best of it together.
The final segment is just Michael dancing off his frustrations over the injustices in the world, the breaking of stuff got criticism but if that didn't happen I don't think the message could have come across as well as it did now. Besides that anger is a man emotion and not necessarily a bad one. This anger was not aimed at other people just like earlier in the video where the cowboys weren't fighting the Indians, they were just celebrating. The entire scene hits the mark because apart from sound effects there is no singing nor music, it is important to take in and accept the anger, it is the anger of millions of people. It is like Michael was dueling between the anger of smashing and breaking and the positivity and hope in the form of dancing.

There are probably well written reviews about this last segment that explain much better what Michael was trying to get across but the controversy surrounding it was unjustified especially considering everything that came before it in the video. The video encourages unison between the people but all the critics could do at the time was whine because some windows were smashed while Michael danced in a suggestive manner. I bet if the segment wasn't included the critic would be that the video was over simplified in its message.

Thriller pioneered videos, Smooth Criminal perfected them. And Black or White personifies them.

Personal favorite would be “Smooth Criminal.” I don’t need to explain why.

Controversially, I would argue his objective best would honestly be “Ghosts.” Social commentary, personal commentary, Hollywood-level special effects, and jaw-dropping dance sequences that perfectly integrate multiple songs. All of MJ’s work was singular, but I truly cannot think of another video that comes even close to that one’s audacity and bravery.

Smooth Criminal followed by The way you make me feel then Beat it. Classic MJ doesn’t get much better.

billie jean’ is my favourite 💜 I love the colour scheme, symbolism, and how deeply multilayered it is. it can be interpreted in so many ways. I love how it combines all the key elements that make up Michael; the magic, the mystery, the generosity.. of course, I’m always partial to Michael dancing solo and un-choreographed. it gives me what I need in a compact package 💜

I think ‘thriller’ is technically his best though.

lately I’ve been appreciating the long form version of ‘can you feel it’ - otherwise known as ‘the triumph’. it really is an underrated work of art 🖼️

Smooth Criminal is my personal favourite and I'd say objectively it's Mike's best work.

On a technical level, the camera work, staging and lighting is phenomenal. If you watch the full version there is so much happening during every frame, it's masterful on every level, that your focus is always on Michael

I would also it's Michael's best performance in a short film, he's so confident and assured its exquisite. I appreciate his performance more with every viewing

Back