What other musicians do you listen to outside of MJ?

I used to rarely listen to music, maybe a bit of Cher if the lyrics spoke to my mood. But since discovering MJ, no one else. I feel like no one else measures up, and I can usually find something from MJ collection to match my mood.

I have an eclectic mix, some Janet Jackson, Daft Punk, Beatles, Alice Cooper, and some others that really catch my ear, of course MJ is always at the top of my list lol I always discover some random songs even if it's like a one-hit wonder but it's always catchy too.

In no particular order - Jimi Hendrix, 1960's Tamla, T.Rex, Faith No More, Gary Numan, Tool, X Ray Spex, Black Sabbath, Fontaines DC, Bad Seed Rising

60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's pop & rock hits mostly, Sometimes I listen to Prince, and I think some of the new stuff that gets popular on TikTok is pretty good too. I also really enjoy a few Kpop groups (GOT7, Super Junior, Big Bang, Twice, Black Pink, etc.)

Listening to a lot of Welsh language pop and indie rock, atm. Wales, homeland of my Nan.

Adwaith, Sage Todz, Lloyd and Dom James, Eadyth, SYBS. It's been a long time coming and it's been a blast so far.

Michael is the only "pop" I have ever listened to outside of a random indulgence in Lady Gaga's Joanne album a few years ago and a pandemic interest in Taylor Swift's Folklore album. Both are great albums, but neither interested me enough to start checking out their respective discographies otherwise. Since Michael, I legitimately barely listen to anyone else. I mean, only this summer have I started to here and there but I find too long listening to someone else makes me want to return to Michael lol. But prior to my MJ obsession here were my top people:

Bob Dylan, Josh Ritter, Jason Isbell, Justin Townes Earle, Shovels and Rope, The Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, First Aid Kit, The Shins, CCR, The Band, and otherwise a mix of classic rock, random Americana artists, and 90s rock/alternative.

Given my tastes previously, it is baffling to me that Michael has won my heart so completely. I remember the first time I thought, "I love watching him dance, I should probably actually listen to his music..." I started listening to Off the Wall and I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING lol. I spent more time with Thriller, initially, because I knew more of the songs already. I wasn't INSTANTLY in love with his music (it took like 2-3 days lol) but because I loved watching him so much already, I just kept listening. Truly a 48-72 hour period before he was the only music I listened to. And before anyone asks, I ended up falling madly in love with Off the Wall, just as I have with every album of his 😊

Michael is the only "pop" I have ever listened to outside of a random indulgence in Lady Gaga's Joanne album a few years ago and a pandemic interest in Taylor Swift's Folklore album. Both are great albums, but neither interested me enough to start checking out their respective discographies otherwise. Since Michael, I legitimately barely listen to anyone else. I mean, only this summer have I started to here and there but I find too long listening to someone else makes me want to return to Michael lol. But prior to my MJ obsession here were my top people:

Bob Dylan, Josh Ritter, Jason Isbell, Justin Townes Earle, Shovels and Rope, The Tallest Man on Earth, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, First Aid Kit, The Shins, CCR, The Band, and otherwise a mix of classic rock, random Americana artists, and 90s rock/alternative.

Given my tastes previously, it is baffling to me that Michael has won my heart so completely. I remember the first time I thought, "I love watching him dance, I should probably actually listen to his music..." I started listening to Off the Wall and I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING lol. I spent more time with Thriller, initially, because I knew more of the songs already. I wasn't INSTANTLY in love with his music (it took like 2-3 days lol) but because I loved watching him so much already, I just kept listening. Truly a 48-72 hour period before he was the only music I listened to. And before anyone asks, I ended up falling madly in love with Off the Wall, just as I have with every album of his 😊
I can totally agree with this doll, honestly Michael has stolen my heart at the top of the list of course, although like I stated I have such an eclectic mix of artists, no matter how catchy or full of beats and all, Michael has it all for me lol 🥰

Currently ..Robbie Nevil, Tasmin Archer, Jane Child , it varies

The great ones like Justin Bieber, Bustin Jieber and Tinjus Berbie

In all seriousness the list is too big so I will add my top 10 most listened to artists on Spotify since joining in 2016

1. MJ
2. The Jackson 5
3. Tom Waits
4. Guido Belcanto (local troubadour)
5. Matt Elliott
6. Bob Dylan
7. The Jacksons
8. Marvin Gaye
9. The Mavericks
10. Sun Kil Moon
BONUS because Michael is basically listed 3 times, at nr 11 because I want to mention him Michael Kiwanuka, 12 Jeff Buckley and 13 his father Tim Buckley

Lately I feel very attracted to classic funk/soul sound of the late 60s to mid 70s.

The great ones like Justin Bieber, Bustin Jieber and Tinjus Berbie
:ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness the list is too big so I will add my top 10 most listened to artists on Spotify since joining in 2016

1. MJ
2. The Jackson 5
3. Tom Waits
4. Guido Belcanto (local troubadour)
Just listened to 'Requiem pour un chanteur' followed by 'Plastic Jesus'. What a blast!

BONUS because Michael is basically listed 3 times, at nr 11 because I want to mention him Michael Kiwanuka, 12 Jeff Buckley and 13 his father Tim Buckley

Lately I feel very attracted to classic funk/soul sound of the late 60s to mid 70s.
Yes!!!!!!

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover
I love it that you actually listened to him! I really love our local musicians, many outstanding songwriters and the lyrics just hit that bit bit harder in your own language!

@zinniabooklover
I love it that you actually listened to him! I really love our local musicians, many outstanding songwriters and the lyrics just hit that bit bit harder in your own language!
Well, you described him as a 'troubadour' so I had to go and look, lol. Plus, his name, Belcanto. Clearly not his real name but I was intrigued as to why he'd chosen it.

I like his twangy, country type stuff. So different hearing stuff like that with Dutch lyrics and accent. Ngl, I'm never gonna have him on heavy rotation but he is interesting. I watched a duet he did with someone called An Pierle (think I got that right).

I'm not in Kansas, anymore, lol.

P.S. Forgot to say, quite liked his version of Only The Lonely. Nice phrasing.

Last edited:
Well, you described him as a 'troubadour' so I had to go and look, lol. Plus, his name, Belcanto. Clearly not his real name but I was intrigued as to why he'd chosen it.

I like his twangy, country type stuff. So different hearing stuff like that with Dutch lyrics and accent. Ngl, I'm never gonna have him on heavy rotation but he is interesting. I watched a duet he did with someone called An Pierle (think I got that right).

I'm not in Kansas, anymore, lol.

P.S. Forgot to say, quite liked his version of Only The Lonely. Nice phrasing.

Yes he brings a variety of music from country to folk and even rock n roll. He stand out because of his lyrics and he doesn't shy away from any topic. On his last album he sings about a girl he fell in love with that turned out to have a penis lol, he has a song about abortion and how he was completely insensitive about it to his then girlfriend or about girls that loved him and he treated them badly, a dark tale about the city of Rome.
He is amazing in weaving the words together and he sings them so clear that you never need the lyrics to understand him, his phrasing is fantastic. He then brings this song with a lot of emotion vocally using only traditional instruments, no synths.

The duet with An Pierle is basically his only hitsong, it receives a bit of airplay still. He also had a band where he sang in English but I don't know these songs well, so maybe that is where only the lonely came from.

Yes he brings a variety of music from country to folk and even rock n roll. He stand out because of his lyrics and he doesn't shy away from any topic. On his last album he sings about a girl he fell in love with that turned out to have a penis lol, he has a song about abortion and how he was completely insensitive about it to his then girlfriend or about girls that loved him and he treated them badly,
Funny you should mention this. When I listened to Plastic Jesus there's a photo of him sitting on the edge of his bed and I looked at it and immediately thought, 'oh, you're a bad boy, aren't you? You're one of *those* guys'. I could just tell.

a dark tale about the city of Rome.
He is amazing in weaving the words together and he sings them so clear that you never need the lyrics to understand him, his phrasing is fantastic.
It really is. I don't love his voice and it isn't a great voice but he's one of those artists that really understands that his voice is an instrument. He's so interesting to listen to.

He then brings this song with a lot of emotion vocally using only traditional instruments, no synths.
Real instruments. You can't beat it (no pun intended, lol).

The Beatles, ELO, Chris Rainbow, The Lemon Twigs, Jellyfish, Roger J Manning Jr, some Charlie Puth, some Bruno Mars

Kanye West, Jay Z, Childish Gambino, Nas. Alot of R&B too like Snoh Aalegra, Joyce Wrice, Victoria Monet.

Back