What quality should I rip my CDs in?

Sawyer Grubb

Proud Member
I am having trouble deciding what quality I should rip my CDs in. I have been ripping them in MP3 format, but want an upgrade. I don’t have much storage left tho so I need to be careful. What should I rip them in? I heard FLAC audio is the best one for storage.

Most people go for FLAC. I hate FLAC cause not every Software is able to play it. Better go for WAV

Reactions: MJ5
Always use the highest bitrate. Especially for MJ.

there is audio compression and there is data compression.
MP3 is audio compression, that's why information is lost.
Flac is data compression, that's why nothing is lost. it's basically like "zip on the fly".
btw: if lossy, go with AAC as it is better than MP3 for several years already. 99% of the world wont hear a difference between lossless and 160kbs AAC. The other 1% only hear it on special occasions and when concentrated on finding one

My suggestion isn't so much what format to rip the cds in, but your storage situation.

IMO buying an external drive and getting any and all music and video files off your hard drive. I have well over100 hours of music on my external drive, and it's not even a quarter full yet. Best one to get is like 4TB. Storage worries will be non existent.

Back