What songs do you think it can hold their own without MJ's voice?

This question would suggest that the songs are bad but made good because of Michael’s voice.
Take a glance at the cover tributes thread and be amazed at how many good and diverse covers there are of MJ’s music

This question would suggest that the songs are bad but made good because of Michael’s voice.
Take a glance at the cover tributes thread and be amazed at how many good and diverse covers there are of MJ’s music
Not what I was going for. There are songs that without MJ's voice would feel like there's something missing or wouldn't be as good but there's also songs that can stand out with the instrumentals alone. Human Nature, Beat It and TWYMMF to me are another examples of that. Songs like The Lady In My Life on the other hand wouldn't be the same without MJ's vocals.

Not what I was going for. There are songs that without MJ's voice would feel like there's something missing or wouldn't be as good but there's also songs that can stand out with the instrumentals alone. Human Nature, Beat It and TWYMMF to me are another examples of that. Songs like The Lady In My Life on the other hand wouldn't be the same without MJ's vocals.
Hard disagree about The Lady in My Life! In fact, I have a hard time coming up with any songs to fit your criteria. Maybe I’ve misinterpreted your question, though?

An interesting observation, by the way, is just how many of Michael’s songs that work the other way around, that is, with nothing but the vocals.

A subtype of excellence is a song, which work with just a few (couple) of the instruments. And in this category you’ve got for example Get on the Floor – a stunning track even when stripped down to just the drums and bass! And as we all know, the drums + bass (rhythm section) formula is a re-occuring one in Michael’s discography.

Then you have songs like They Don’t Care About Us, that’ll work with just the percussion. Or She’s Out of My Life – beautiful with just the Rhodes.

As for your original question: Wouldn’t it be easier to come up with songs that absolutely do not work without vocals? (Just spitballing here. As for me, I don’t—at the moment—have any songs to suggest here either.)

D.S. instrumental… might fit the bill for an instrumental that doesn’t work on its own. I’m not sure. All I know is that it works wonderfully stripped of the instrumental.

Man in the Mirror is one of the most beautifully produced pop tracks of all time. MJ's vocal on it is great, but it's mesmerizing to listen to without it.

Stranger in Moscow and Human Nature are beautiful on their own too.

I can think of several artists that would sing the lady in my life beautifully but I’m not going to list them because I’m pissed off which has nothing to do with you @ChanceToDance so don’t worry!

I can think of several artists that would sing the lady in my life beautifully
But do you feel like the song can be heard with only the instrumental or would you feel like it would be a bland or less interesting song without MJ's vocals? That's what I mean.
but I’m not going to list them because I’m pissed off which has nothing to do with you @ChanceToDance so don’t worry!
Hope you get better man 🙏

Beautiful Girl is also another song that is good with just the instrumental, I'm aware that the vocals are scratch vocals but I can't flow with it. Remove the vocals but keep the harmonies and the song is perfect the way it is.

Pretty much anything Rod Temperton wrote for MJ, barring “Thriller.” Anyone could pull them off.

The instrumental of Rock With You with just the BGVs is great, I can listen to that alone rather than the full song.

Rock With You would be nothing without MJ. So many people have tried to recreate that, including MJ, and no one has ever done it. The effortless smooth soulfulness of that song, from the drums to the snyth to his incredible vocals, right down to the hook. Everything is immaculate. It can easily be the greatest song of all time. And that was him just getting started lol.

My answer is Come Together lol. Because the Beatles version is better.

I feel very conflicted about this because i agree but then i remember RWY and OTW exist and then i don't know what to think.
In hindsight, I might withdraw this. “Rock with You” and “Off the Wall” are, in my opinion, two of pop music’s most overrated songs and I firmly believe MJ made them popular. Stevie or Marvin could easily pull them off, but they played better towards MJ’s character and vibe at the time. Looks like I totally misunderstood the point of the thread lol.

I would say “They Don’t Care About Us.” I can’t envision someone singing it like MJ, but that song is a masterclass in all respects.

Back