What was it like listening to a new MJ album for the first time?

djlukesw

Proud Member
I found Michael's music in 2007 and listened to all of his albums in one go. So I couldn't tell the albums apart for a long time.
That's why I'm very interested to know what it was like for you when a new album was released and you heard it for the first time. What were your thoughts and feelings during and after? How great was the anticipation? For example, was it a different experience listening to Dangerous for the first time than Invincible? Did you have any expectations or ideas about what the next album would be like? Did you absorb all the information in the months and years before an album was released or were you just happy when it was there? I am very interested in your experiences.
Feel free to tell me what it was like for you to see a new music video for the first time.

Invincible was the first solo album I bought at release. I was hyped because I had never seen him in concert, so I thought he'd go on tour. Even though I'm not that into slow songs, I listened to this whole album daily for the next months. I remember thinking Privacy sounded really catchy. It felt great having a new MJ album.

Last edited:
Invincible was the first solo album I bought at release. I was hyped because I had never seen him in concert, so I thought he'd go on tour. Even though I'm not that into slow songs, I listened to this whole album daily for the next months. I remember thinking Privacy sounded really catchy. It felt great having a new MJ album.

Invincible was my first new album as an MJ fan but I had bought BAD a month before having became a proper fan in the summer of 01.

YRMW was the first single (cry 2nd) I had ever bought , good memories.

The whole Invincible campaign was a damp squib though and I oddly link it with 9/11 that era.

Last edited by a moderator:
First album I got when it dropped was HIStory and I remember the build up and hype was insane! I also remember thinking the first half was incredible! I was obsessed with the booklet inside and wore out my cd’s very quickly. I wanted to go see him live but I was a youngin and that was just out of the question at the time financially. Invincible was much the same but I was quite let down with that album and that really hasn’t changed, but I was collecting as much memorabilia as I could including the TV guides with the different covers (if anyone remembers those! Lol)

It probably doesn't count to most people's minds but hearing "Michael" for the first time was certainly, interesting. I remember the hype surrounding what "potential gems" awaited. All I really remember was the Casio tunes.

I never once bought their authenticity but. Idk, I just judged them as songs. They were, guilty pleasures. I liked playing them to see if anyone would pick up on them.

I remember listening to a friend's copy of Bad, in the first year of release. I was aware of MJ before this but wasn't really a fan. Probably the other album I listened to a lot was a "Now" pop compilation, and some rap.

Saw Moonwalker in the cinema at release. I was really hyped for that, and really enjoyed it. Plus I had the Megadrive version and played the arcade version. It made a change from Double Dragon.

About this time I got a Motown compilation with young MJ and J5 stuff.

I received Dangerous for Christmas when it was a month old. I listened to it non-stop on my way to school. There wasn't much in the way of anticipation at the time, it simply didn't happen. Maybe for 1 or 2 weeks at the most, but otherwise an album just came out and that was it. Hardly any information before release. My expectation was probably for more stuff like Bad. I used to tune in to the music shows on TV in case they showed the video for each new single. Pretty sure I had most of them recorded onto a VHS tape. Probably the other album I listened to a lot was MC Hammer Too Legit.

I got HIStory on release day and was obsessed with it. Used to read the booklet and listed to one (or both) CDs every day while I should have been revising for my A'Levels. Probably the other album I listened to a lot was all the Nirvana stuff (Nevermind, Incesticide, Unplugged)

Even though I was working in nightclubs at the time, BOTDF almost went by unnoticed. I didn't mind some of the remixes, but I didn't watch TV at the time so that was about it. Probably the other album I listened to a lot was The Supernaturals (It Doesn't Matter Anymore).

I got Invincible at release (green cover). Nobody I knew was interested by this point, so I couldn't discuss it with anyone. At this point I was a lot better at the guitar, so I was transcribing the song chords out and sending them in to online archives. Probably the other album I listened to a lot was Bush (Science of Things and Golden State).

About this time I started to buy a few Jacksons albums.

I went to see TII in the cinema. I didn't bother with that compilation album, but I got the BD of the movie when it came out.

For Xscape and Michael, it was pretty much the same as it was with Invincible, ie nobody I knew had heard it. But at this point I'd stopped caring what other people listened to. I enjoy my music, and other people enjoy their music. It's a big waste of time trying to convert everybody else to like the same thing.

Last edited:
Back